Power cable broken underground - BESCOM

annanya84

Power cable broken underground - BESCOM

Post by annanya84 »

Hello All,

Need your guidance please. Last night power went out and after a while we noticed neighbours all have power and only our house didn't. We got an electrician to check the board and confirm there is no power coming from the pole.

After almost 5 hours wait, got BESCOM to check who said it's the cable broken/not working since the end at the pole is getting live power.

It's very unusual for the cable to be broken underground as it's inside pipe. Has anyone experienced such issues?

Now i am told the entire cable needs to be replaced, any suggestions for which brand cable to go far and how to secure it underground?

Many thanks.
ardesarchitects

Re: Power cable broken underground - BESCOM

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
How old is the cable ? is the cable crossing the road ? any recent road works or jcb digging happened ?
We did face this kind of problem many times, whenever a digging happened and the underground cable got damaged.
Also many times electricians use joints for the underground cable to make use of the temporary wire used during construction. Wire used during construction often gets brittle as it's exposed to sun for a long time.

Ideally for crossing the road, metal pipe should be used. that can take vehicle loads.

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
https://www.instagram.com/ardesarchitects
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

If suppose cable is not showing continuity and you have only single phase supply try using another pair in same cable. Usually UG cable has 4 wires for 3 phase supply.

If cable is cut due to JCB or anything else it can be repaired using a kit. The kit consists of multiple heat shrink rubber tubes and tapes to be applied and heated using a gas burner. Kit costs around 1200rs. You need to get laborers to dig up cable to find where it is damaged.

If cable is old and you necessarily want to replace go for Armoured UG cable from good brand like RR Cable or Universal

How do I know this ? A JCB was working at my site and I thought of transplanting a 2 year old gular tree which i had planted and now around 20 feet tall to another place There was a LT cable below and JCB damaged it.

BESCOM guys took 5000 from me for repair using the kit and I had to shell off whatever they asked as it had cut supply to DB box supplying to a few houses.
annanya84

Post by annanya84 »

Thank you for the response. Appreciate it.

Return to “General”