Regularize deviation

Vimal

Re: Regularize deviation

Post by Vimal »

so, bbmp should include additional clauses for compensating setbacks. but they don't. instead bbmp babus will use that opportunity to fleece you.

the subject is not about townhomes in usa/uk. those people are agile and make life and living better with reasons.

but what are we doing here ? you allow row house to be built without space on the sides but insist space for independent house ? why have double standard ?

so back to my original question, what is the rationale for setbacks and how it helps the health and safety of individuals ?
tvsh

Post by tvsh »

Double standards are everywhere. The gov't allows people to construct houses on gov't lands and then grants them ownership of the land, so why should one buy a site and then construct? We cannot solve these kind of policy issues debating on an internet forum.

My understanding of the rationale for setbacks is, Given the herd mentality of our people who construct houses the way they have been doing, without adapting technology that can provide them ventilation and sunlight, the rational thing for the gov't to do is to force people to leave some space around the house for ventilation and sun-light.
Vimal

Post by Vimal »

I like to see a response from MSN on what he/she has claimed that setback provides for.
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Vimal

Have you ever wondered why the corner plots, plots facing Parks, Corner Flats in apartments, sea view and flat in the higher floor of an apartment demands more price ??. Primary reason is you get more exposed to Natural Sunlight, Air flow, less pollution and less noise. Not in the other way generally people think in commercial angle.

Firstly, check for the importance of natural sunlight and air in our life and the impact on human life where deficiency of the same. Then you will understand the co-relation with the set back rules. Try to read more about the impact of urban lifestyle on health & wellness. Then conclude whether we need to follow the set back rules or not. As "TVSH" said, these are minimum recommended area. When we fail to follow these, indirectly in the long run, we definitely pay the price for it unknowingly.

One of the major problem with deficiency of exposure to sunlight is Depression(which is a psychological disorder develops over a period of time). This is a major health problem in many western countries than HIV or Cancer. To Say few symptoms and examples, People get angry easily, prefers to be alone, easily get misunderstanding with known people, going to argument mode all of a sudden, lack of social tolerance, abnormal food/sleep timings, mind tend to do wrong/unethical things often(including crimes), guiltiness....etc. In extreme conditions of Depression, a person can kill anyone for no reason or himself commits suicide. In India, 99.9% people, doesn't even know what is depression?. Many other issues in the long run are metabolic disorders, Deficiency of Vitamin D(Which has many other health effects), headache, BP, Diabetes....etc. In order to overcome, health issues, In many European countries, when rarely they see the bright sunlight, people put leave and goes out along with their family to get exposed to the sunlight. Many people are installing electronic mirrors which virtually acts like windows passing sunlight through out the day same way in accordance to the sun movement from east to west and the similar lighting effect, to avoid depression. Many of the western people involve themselves on gardening on weekends daytime at home, accompany pets, goes out bicycling, goes to coastal sites, goes out on long drive regularly....etc to get themselves open to the nature and to come out of loneliness. Usually (At least twice a year) They take break from work and go for long vacation of at least 2 weeks duration.

B'cos of current urban lifestyle, people are going away from the direct sunlight. They're hiding themselves in the Covered areas most of their day time while working, driving and even inside their homes. I see majority of homes in Bangalore, who never opens their windows. They always gives excuses like Mosquito, noise pollution, dust.....etc. They cover their windows with thick dark curtains. This is the basic reason, nowadays the so called rich people's diseases( A decade or two ago) like BP, Diabetes, cardiac arrest....etc can be seen at the very young age of 15 - 20+ itself in the younger Urban people. we are hearing daily in the media, that even small kids & younger people are taking extreme steps for silly & unjustified reasons like failed in exam, unable to secure a seat in a reputed institution, parents scolded them, argument with their partner, (just 2 days back, a guy chatting with his girlfriend over webcam committed suicide over a silly argument) ....etc.. Can you make out this kind of extreme things in the rural areas, where people work most of their day time under the sun light.??

Same way For many people who are suffering from psychological disorders, when they go for counseling, meets psychiatrists, neurologists, very first prescription they get is to take a walk in the mornings/evenings & get exposed to Fresh Air and sunlight.

In my opinion, Instead of blindly following the Vaasthu, Feng shui...etc and live in a covered walls and visiting the doctor regularly and having pills daily for many health issues, follow the set back rules, get exposed to natural sunlight and air and enjoy the health, wellness & prosperity.
Last edited by msn1270 on September 27th, 2012, 3:04 pm, edited 9 times in total.
JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers »

Very well & rightly said "msn1270 & tvsh".
Vimal

Post by Vimal »

msn,

are you a medico ? The way you are correlating setback rules with depression and health issue are quiet amusing. Sorry i don't mean to deride but the response lacks proper justification. I agree lack of sunlight triggers depression but that is not the sole reason. the best recommendation for such suffering is to do meditation and understand 'self'. you talk about health issue such as diabetes, cardiac arrest etc., these are primarily due to our genetic disposition and sedantic lifestyle of indians. since the day white sugar was invented all such diseases proliferated. in olden days people used sugarcane jaggery and palm jaggery. our elders did not go in cars. they walked or rode bicycle (which is a form of exercise) and did not glue their eyes to tv. now sweets shop are everywhere and in-laws reduce our lifespan knowingly or unknowingly :-)

do you honestly think bbmp folks got such profound thoughts of happy living when they framed setback rules ? or are there medicos in the panel of bbmp committee ?

if what you say is true then why differential treatment for rowhouse ? doesn't bbmp want people living in rowhouse hale and healthy ?

why allow construction of tall buildings where most of them don't get exposed to direct sunlight and where people spend more than 8 hours of daytime for their living ?

a good reason to have setback is to allow fire person to do their job when there is fire. every other explanation for the need is all pure XX.

I appreciate your time and your explanation.

Thanks.
blrsiteseeker

Post by blrsiteseeker »

In addition to ventilation, the set back rules are there to ensure an organized development of the city, so that we don't end up with a haphazard city which cannot be corrected later. have you been on Goodshed road - which desperately needs expansion, but look at all the buildings, they abut the road and hence the govt. will face major issues in expanding (what with law suits from each and every one on the road). THose were constructed perhaps when the front and back setback rules were more lax. Now we are paying the price for it.

We all need to learn some things, to save the beauty of the city, there should be no haphazard construction, so if everyone followed the setback rules (in whichever direction it has been mandated), then we may have a decent appearance.

Look at the Greek Village of Santorini - all houses are painted white even to this day. That gives the town a charm of its own. What if some citizens wished to paint other colors and broke the rules, then that charm would be gone.

There are many such cities/towns in Europe where the rules have continued from ancient times - so the charm is not ruined.

Now don't tell me that we don't need to be like western cities or countries. We are trying to build all these big houses and follow the western type of construction in other ways, why not try to maintain some discipline in our towns/cities too.

And a more important thing - you can avoid a lot of conflict later in life. When you have 2 houses abutting each other, what happens when one wants to dismantle their house and renovate - there will be issues with stability etc. during that renovation for your house. How would you handle. You may get all the agreement etc. from neighbors now - but how do you know it is going to be the same neighbor for the life of the building. Your current neighbor may sell, his children when they inherit may have a different line of thinking. So avoid problems for yourself later, and leave the space now.
tvsh

Post by tvsh »

Vimal wrote:msn,

if what you say is true then why differential treatment for rowhouse ? doesn't bbmp want people living in rowhouse hale and healthy ?

why allow construction of tall buildings where most of them don't get exposed to direct sunlight and where people spend more than 8 hours of daytime for their living ?

a good reason to have setback is to allow fire person to do their job when there is fire. every other explanation for the need is all pure XX.

I appreciate your time and your explanation.

Thanks.
Vimal, Do you have examples of a "BDA approved" row houses? The row houses I have seen are very old. They probably were built much earlier than BDA rules came into place. They could also be constructed on village limits with village panchayat approvals that have no such limitations.

I can certainly say that access to fire personnel was not the main criteria for framing setback rules. Fire hazard in a traditional BLR home was minimal. The electircal wires were the ones that would catch fire occasionally due to short circuit and this fire was small and would have completely burnt down before any fire personnel reached the site. It is only with the recent trend of constructing false ceiling the risk of fire has become elevated.
Vimal

Post by Vimal »

tvsh, sorry i am not an RE agent. please check with them. on browsing, i bumped into sunshine hills which they claim is a bda approved. a couple of years when i checked vaswani whispering palms i was told rowhouses are considered as apartment. i don't understand why some property get bda approval and some get bbmp approval. i know one layout where a small parcel of land got bda approval and rest are under bbmp waiting to get their approvals thru akrama-sakrama.

blrsiteseeker, you have a point wrt reconstruction of building.
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Vimal

Whatever I've mentioned above are the impacts.

Basically Set back rules are means to provide Light, ventilation, privacy & protection, not only meant for Fire service. Set back rules are not done by BDA/BBMP Alone. They refer the standards made by BIS. Respective Town Planning authorities utilize the necessary BIS sections in their bye-laws. Set back rules are prescribed for each category considering various criteria like plot size, road size, end use of the property Residential/Commercial/highrise/industrial/location.....etc.

Standards always recommends efficient utilization of natural resources like Air, Sunlight, water...etc. They don't mandate everyone has to work under sunlight in day time. Individuals can interpret in many ways as per their convenience.

Regarding your Row housing query: Refer to Bye-law sections (BBMP 11.0 or BMRDA section 14.3.1), you get the minimum set back rules even for the Row Houses as below.

Setbacks min. Front : 2.00 m
Rear : 1.50 m
Side : 2.00 only for end units

Return to “Anjanapura - BDA”