Water meter reading high

sun244

Water meter reading high

Post by sun244 »

Friends,

For last two months, my BWSSB meter reading is high. We cannot find any other problems like leaking taps or valves. Plumber says he needs to build a small chamber and take the connection in "U" shape into the home. He says this will correct the meter reading issue and he has done it in many houses. He also says this abnormality in reading is due to Air!!! Have any of you come across this issue? For building the chamber, plumber is asking Rs.4500. Can you folks please advice/suggest/share your experiences?

Thank You
Sun
sun

Re: Water meter reading high

Post by sun »

This is very common these days I guess, all houses in the entire road where I stay including me faced this issue, and complained collectively to BWSSB in BTM 4th stage area.

One night I could hear around 11:30 PM that very high hissing noise. When I went out to check its great Water meter running due to Air pressure in the pipes. Air was passing at such a high pressure that water meter was running like a propeller!! I immediately knew the reason for high water bills ( from Rs. 250 to Rs 700+ ).

A simple way out is that find out when Cauvery water comes in your area, keep the valve open only on those days, and rest of the days keep it shut. It helped me to bring back the bill amount to in the range of 300 Rs.

Thanks
sun244

Post by sun244 »

Thanks for the reply.

Even when you put the valve, the Air can still come when we put valve, right?

My plumber was saying that this can be fixed by building the chamber and taking the pipe in U shape with meter in the of U shape. i just wanted to know what others think especially building contractors/Engineers and Owners like us. This can save lot of money.

Thank You
Sun
sun

Post by sun »

Nope, I meant the main valve, one just before the water meter. No water, air escapes that. I used stay in a rented house before, where we had this system of U shape. It considerably reduced the water force into the sump.
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Dear Sun

if the ball Valve used in the Sump water line connection is more than 6 months old, better you change it
and then check the difference in the next bill.

Ball valve is one of the culprit. usually it has gone bad, it will dip in the water. Normally there will be hairline
crack at the top RCC corner of the sumps. From here, water seepages at the ground level & you don't even notice.
This can be prevented only by changing the defective Ball Valve of the Sump.

Return to “Non Real Estate”