Low Cost RWH System

msn1270

Low Cost RWH System

Post by msn1270 »

Pls find th attached article on implementing low cost Rainwater Harvesting system with simple and cost effective water filtering system, made by Mr. Prasanna Murthy an engineer in Plastic & Moulds using his rich professional R&D experience to common man.
Attachments
RWH.pdf
(120.95 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
girishd

Re: Low Cost RWH System

Post by girishd »

Thanks for the information.

I have a question about RWH:
If rain water is to be stored, is there a need for making 2 Sumps? One for Cauvery (if BWSSB gives me connection) and one for storage of rainwater.

Thanks,
GD
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

If you are using Filter based RWH, then there is no need for making separate storage areas. Also you must avoid storing the initial 1 or 2 rainy water(which comes in April - May period), as they contain high level of dust and chemicals accumulated on terrace over a period of time. They can be used for secondary utility purpose.

Note: Neither Sump water/Over Head Tank/RWH water is not advised for drinking purpose directly.
girishd

Post by girishd »

@msn1270,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I understand the utility of rain water and that's the reason I was checking if making a separate sump to store it would help. As of now I am getting the borewell drilled. If I do find water, half the issue might be solved.
parkom

Post by parkom »

"Note: Neither Sump water/Over Head Tank/RWH water is not advised for drinking purpose directly.[/quote]

Nice article MSN. I think almost all people drink Cauvery watery held int heir sumps after filtering it. I don't honk you could apply the same to RWH- it has to be strictly reserved for non drinking purposes.
All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on....
tvsh

Post by tvsh »

parkom wrote:
Nice article MSN. I think almost all people drink Cauvery watery held int heir sumps after filtering it. I don't honk you could apply the same to RWH- it has to be strictly reserved for non drinking purposes.
I use Kent RO system in my house, I filter Rain water and use it for drinking purposes as well as for non-drinking purposes. Honestly, what is wrong in drinking RO filtered rain water?

Conversely what is so great about Kaveri water? Can someone tell me other than adding chlorine, what does the BWSSB do that makes the water fit for drinking? Does anyone know the amount of pesticides that get washed into the rivers every year? Has anyone seen BWSSB clean any of the overhead tanks they have all over the city?
blrsiteseeker

Post by blrsiteseeker »

I totally agree. WIth good filtration and purification, rain water is good for drinking!
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

BWSSB does chlorination for kaveri water only at their Tank site. By the time water reaches to our home, we don't know, how many leakage points or drain water contamination adulterates the water. From the safety point of view, atleast one level of filtering/purifying is essential for every water.

After filtering + purification, even RWH can be used for Drinking purpose.

Primarily adopting RWH is very important. Everyone must adopt voluntarily for their benefit. Already we're facing severe shortage of rainfall this year. Its already july and there are no signs of rains in majority areas of karnataka. It will adversely affect the agriculture, Drinking water and power generation in the coming days and definitely life becomes misearable, if there is no dramatic change in the rain pattern in the coming weeks.

Return to “Civil Construction”