Which wood used to be used in olden days?

jackalbda

Which wood used to be used in olden days?

Post by jackalbda »

Hello All,

I need to decide on wood to be used for interior ( kitchen , wardrobes etc). For some reason, I dont want to go for PlyWood/Artifical wood and would like to use actual wood. In olden days, other than teak, which wood used to be used in Karnataka ? Where can I buy them now ? I hope some folks who are from Bangalore/Karnataka can answer my question easily.
m3_07

Re: Which wood used to be used in olden days?

Post by m3_07 »

Traditional woods still were/ are - Neem, Jackfruit tree, padauk & mathi
Prashanth36

Post by Prashanth36 »

You can get an idea from carpenter. Lots of variety available in saw mills based on ur budget. You can google it for saw mill address. couple of it I have seen in mysore road and also near kengeri.
jackalbda

Post by jackalbda »

ooh !! I never knew that Jackfruit tree used to be used in Bangalore !! Though its very commonly used in my native, I dint know that it was available here. Where can I find jackfruit tree wood shops here ?
tvsh

Post by tvsh »

Bear in mind, for Kitchen you need wood that is water proof and In olden days, there was no concept of Italian kitchen and wooden wardrobes were very rare.
vhari

Post by vhari »

Rubber wood is another material for you to go..but if you want to stick with basics, try marine ply for kitchen to avoid issues later. I know its not what you wanted to hear but thats my view.
mohanvk

Post by mohanvk »

Would not really recommend use of solid wood in kitchens anymore. The things you would need to look at is maintenance and resistance to humidity.
girishd

Post by girishd »

Is there any use for Neem wood for house construction purpose? esp for doors or windows
How does it compare to Sal/Honne?

## Got the following info from the website (http://www.neemfoundation.org/neem-arti ... nment.html):
Neem wood is hard and relatively heavy and religious icons in some parts of India. The wood seasons well, except for end splitting. Being durable and termite resistant, neem wood is used in making fence posts, poles for house construction, furniture etc. There is growing market in some European countries for light-colored neem wood for making household furniture (H. Schmutterer, personal communication). Pole wood is especially important in developing countries; the tree's ability to resprout after cutting and to regrow its canopy after pollarding makes it highly suited to pole production (National Research Council 1992). Neem grows fast and is a good source of firewood and fuels; the charcoal has high calorific value.
##
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Jackalbda
You can make italian kithchens with solid wood,its next to impossible considering the labor & material cost.You can make Guntur /andhra shelfs and use sold wood to make framed shutters (older type).You can make shelves in sold wood since to many joints it doesn't take any load.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Desinger
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com

Return to “Civil Construction”