Is RWH madatory

Chandu

Is RWH madatory

Post by Chandu »

Hi All,
Wanted to know if Rain Water Harvesting is mandatory , if yes what is the minimum site dimension
above which one should have RWH.

Also wanted to know the approximate cost involved in getting this done.
blrsiteseeker

Re: Is RWH madatory

Post by blrsiteseeker »

RWH is mandatory for all new construction. For older homes with plot sizes equal to or larger than 40x60, they have mandated a retrofit and I think the deadline for that has passed.

cost - depends on the type of RWH you implement. There is the basic, just collect all the run off from your roof and any cemented areas on the ground and direct into a pit that will gradually filter into the underground water table to the fancy complete gathering the water, and treating it sufficiently and save in a tank for all use (even drinking).
kpb2308

Post by kpb2308 »

It is mandatory. And forget if the government mandates or not. If one wants themselves and their future generations to have some water, they would do it sincerely without being mandated by the govt.
If you want a water seepage pit, you have to dig and place concrete rings. I paid Rs. 800 per ring of 3' dia. This includes digging, putting the ring back and filling mud around the ring to cover up the extra excavation. In addition, you have to spend to route all the rain water pipes to this pit and a filter to remove impurities.
Chandu

Post by Chandu »

Have one more follow-up question.
Water seepage pit - what happens if it rains very heavily ?
ie , if the pit gets filled-up - won't that overflow ? ( assuming the pit is 3 feet wide and 8 feet deep)
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Chandu

You can go any depth for the Pit, there is no restriction. Suggested method is to make provision to collect Rain water (after Filtering) in a Separate tank/regular Sump and then direct the excess water to flow into the RWH Pit.
niarhab

Post by niarhab »

do it for urkids.
Chandu

Post by Chandu »

Thanks all for inputs.
I have done that yesterday - need few more inputs

STEPS done
1) Dig pit ( 3 ft width - 8 ft deep)
2) place 2.5ft wide cement ring ( as I had only 3ft wide space available)
3) place 6 rings ( 1 ring was about 16 inch - height)

- Now I have asked to fill 20 mm jelly 1 feet and sand waste 4 ft and leave the remaining 3 feet as-is and close the top with a cement cap.
- Later will ask plumber to direct roof-catchment water into this pit.

Is this a decent enough ? - let me know your inputs.

PS : I am not doing a bore-well recharge or store-and-use concept ( Bore point is about 25 feet away from the pit)
mohan_hu

Post by mohan_hu »

to this on the top you need to have a pipe for the excess water to over flow...
maheshv

Post by maheshv »

Use Rainy filter, you can filter rain water (250micron) and send directly to sump. This will be the best soft water we can get. The overflow water can be sent to RWH pit
At cost of approx 5000, you will recover the money in one year ( one load of water tanker is Rs 400 near my place)
I am doing this...

If you feel water is not safe, you can add chlorine (~2mg/lit), which is basically what BWSSB do. Even further you can add big blue filter (20micron) which will remove slit and small particle of sand going from sump to OHT.

http://www.mybdasites.com/viewtopic.php ... ter#p23105
http://www.rainyfilters.com/
http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_hea ... lorine.pdf
sam_m400

Post by sam_m400 »

where can i get those filters 250 Micron and 20 micron one in market???. Any specific brand name which i can ask ??????

Return to “Civil Construction”