Kota stone for flooring anybody?

npawar

Re: Kota stone for flooring anybody?

Post by npawar »

kraghum wrote:Thanks Praveen for feedback

for my house we have used Cement stabilized mud blcoks (60% of area will be plastered), plan to use this in first floor family room where i have used Hourdi blocks for roof. yeah still contemplating whether to go for KOTA+lined with Jaisalmer gold.. or use full JaisalmerTeak texture flooring

one more help , are KOTA stones easily take on scratches?, how often we need to get them polished to get the glass finish back

Raghu
Raghu,

my dad had used these for entire house flooring, some 10-12 years back, my 2 cents on the same, its good stone, cost effective, zero maintenance, the glossy look increases while maid mops daily :) but yes the scratches are visible, but even these fades away as part of mopping over period of time, but as you rightly said, most of the flooring is covered with furniture, so my personal view is also same. I could not spend too much on flooring instead spend on furniture n interior which is visible, tell me how many times have you focused on flooring when you visited friends n relatives house, but ignore off-late visits :) b'c0se while you are constructing house u will surely may have looked every house, but few years back tell me did you curiously look for flooring ? :) I am sure no......
kraghum

Post by kraghum »

Thanks for all the reply, my house is indeed built using CSMB, but we have plastered 50% of the houses, since we are not much comfortable with brown shaeds everywhere. wanted some bright parts.

AFter much thought though i was inclined to Kota, and my wify was more on coloured stone, we settled on to Jaisalmere Gold/Yellow along with green marble for Kitchen.

I was very much convinced using Kota, My architect used it for few houses and i was satisfied with result, but in the yield to wifes argument and went for Jaisalmere yellow which is again is very cost effective compared to other stone/marble
tara_m

Post by tara_m »

Cool..can you please share the PSF rate and also the dealer for Jaisalmer stone ?
kraghum

Post by kraghum »

PSF rate will is varied from 95-120 (depending on jaisalmere Yellow or Teak),

Jainco Marbles on sarjapur road has good collection but price is more

http://www.maheshwarimpex.com/ --> huge stocks, lowest price compared to all others. suppsoed to be single guys having largest kota stone collection (his price was starting from 85)

There is another shop in Bannerghatta road, my Architect took. he was quoting lowest price in B'Road and was mainly Rajasthan marble. we are going for buying may be next week along with engineer. will confirm the rates
skbpillai

Post by skbpillai »

Hi All,

I am presently constructing a house and have gone with Kota for all common spaces (hall, kitchen, family room, dining etc). I got Kota Green 17mm thickness for around Rs. 39. My architect has designed a laying pattern with Brass Inserts. If you are doing a rustic themed house, Kota could add to the appearance, I believe. While I agree to all the points above (especially on the nature of stone and how the grain pattern is totally unpredictable), I thought that is the very idea of a natural stone flooring.

My problem is elsewhere now. I have a team of guys who are not too sure of how to handle the polish and finish part. There are standard procedures to handle Italian Marbles, but I am not able to get one for stones like Kota. There had been too much suggestions, including use of epoxy layer in the last stage of polishing etc.

Can someone please guide me to some good source of info / advise me on procedure to polish Kota for a mirror-finish?

Regds,
SKB
tara_m

Post by tara_m »

@kraghum :) Thanks a ton for the info
kraghum

Post by kraghum »

skbpillai
My contractor has worked with kota stone for many houses but unable to share the reference. with my search the owner fo this shop
http://www.maheshwarimpex.com/
is quite knowledgeable and seems like is the one who supplied to majority of architects who used Kota (Mistry's, Good Earth, Total environment). do speak to him and he can Guide or help with any information as required
ausraja

Post by ausraja »

Well i went to maheshwarimpex after seeing this blog and found that the owner was more intersted in showing and marketing granite than kota stones.What i figured out from this experience is that when i went to sarjapura road i found so many granita shops on both sides of the road for almost 2 kms that i was totally confused.

Good advice is you can goto sarjapura road and ask everyshop as it seems like even this blog can be used for marketing purpose so better be carefull.In addition to this please note that you must also be carfull about the laying charges as for kota its cutting ,laying , polishing etc which works out to be almost that of granite cost which is jut laying and no polishing.

so the total cost for flooring needs to be worked out which is cost of tiles + laying + polishing.
kraghum

Post by kraghum »

ausraja
Please do know it's my experience that i am quoting, i have not bought/made any purchases from this shop and not advising anybody. i am quoting "my experience only" from what i saw.

Again yeah please make your own judgement before making your purchase decisions, and use the information here reference only.
I quoted this particular supplier because from what i heard from him he was supplying to many architects and he may have details on how to get these stone laid as well. i can remove my comments if anybody feel i am marketing a particular shop.
sateeshpnv

Post by sateeshpnv »

Can any one share fair price for polishing Tandur stones? The stones are already laid, but they are uneven and not very nice.

Return to “Civil Construction”