Bought Robo sand from Robo silicon

baruc2003

Re: Bought Robo sand from Robo silicon

Post by baruc2003 »

Hi dream home,
would it contain fine dust along with aggregates??
If only aggregate then it's good. If it has fine dust, i feel it's as good as having lot of silt.please correct me if I'm wrong. Also please let me know from where you procured sand from. My old house was built in 1933 with mud and bricks still it's leak proof strong and has first floor. I don't know what waterproofing they used those days. Hats off!!
Thanks,
Bharath
nikhilsuresh

Post by nikhilsuresh »

Fine particles in sand is no problem if it is under the limit..if you feel unsure then you can always get a grain size distribution analysis done in a material lab..the nearest one is Gooly consultancy services..ibeing a structural engineer I advise you to use good quality sand for the frame I.e the columns,slabs and beams..please do not compromise on the materials especially if you are going more than two floors
dream_home

Post by dream_home »

the fine particle percentage is 30% in Robo sand and 25% in oriental m-sand. I have not seen any cracks for my mould or pillar.
biddappa_c_b

Post by biddappa_c_b »

Hi All,

I too had this dilemma. My engineer was not happy with Robo sand and he had ordered sand from oriental. So it was a situation like, I was not happy with oriental sand and he was not happy with Robo sand :)..to get out of all this crap, I got both tested in Civil-Aid and both of them were under the limits and good to use. Surprisingly Civil Aid mentioned Oriental sand is better. Now there is another manufactured sand from Bharti Cement. I had orderd that also and I presume it is good. So going forward I will be using manufacturing sand from Bharthi Cement for all works except Plastering. I think even for plastering Bharti cements are going to introduce the manufactured sand. I am looking forward for it. My house construction is for 2350 sqft and we have been using it for ground floor without any issues. Structural engineer + Civil aid has passed it. Hope this info helps.
dream_home

Post by dream_home »

i had ordered samples of Bharti plastering cement, it is very costly 150 Rs for 50 kg bag and coverage is less. I would not recommend that. better to go for good river sand for plastering.
pkumar78

Post by pkumar78 »

Thank you biddappa_c_b and dream_home.
@dream_home: I was going through your old posts. You had shared lot of useful information

Can we use manufactured sand just like river sand or should we need to do anything special in terms water, mixing etc.
Can I use manufactured sand alone or need to mix with river sand say 1:1?
So what I understood from you guys is that except plastering I can use it in other masonry works
basha_skj

Post by basha_skj »

@Bharath,
I too bought robo sand last week, it looks exactly same as yours. infact robo sand company web site they have mentioned that particle size varies from 0 to 4.5mm.i am using robo sand for wall construction as well as for slab. Right now my second floor wall construction work is going on. I am not finding any problem with quality. IIT Chennai has given a detailed study report on manufacturing sand. The strength of robo sand concrete is equal to river sand. In my view using this sand is better than using filter sand. btw it is economical also.
biddappa_c_b

Post by biddappa_c_b »

@pkumar with regards to mix, consult your structural engineer, they are the best folks to provide info. You need not mix with river sand. You can use it just like river sand. Yes, except plastering you can use it for everything else
@dream_home, thanks for the info. So I think river sand is better for plastering and cheaper rt?
zahid

Post by zahid »

I have used Robo sand from Robo Silicon, for all concrete work. My mestri feels that it is good for concrete work. Setting time is also quick.

Initially, I had discussed with some of the senior managers from ACC and other cement manufacturers, about usability of Robo sand with their cements. All of them recommended it. So, I don't see any issue in using Robo sand, at least for concrete work.
nikhilsuresh

Post by nikhilsuresh »

Robo in slabs can cause Leakge...since the slab..so either add a part of hydraulic lime in the site mix or aor ask for hydraulic efficiency when ordering RMC ...

Return to “Civil Construction”