Borewell dilemma

sholla

Borewell dilemma

Post by sholla »

I am planning to construct a duplex house in a west facing 30x40 site.
I would like to explore two options,
- duplex house in ground and first floor
- ground floor for parking and duplex in first and second floor.

However, last week the geologist visited the site to identify a borewell point.
He gave the point as 6 feet from the north side and 11 feet from the east side.
That is, the borewell point is quite inside the house interior.

This seems to imply that the first option is not feasible. So , my question is
can these borewell points be shifted ? Will it make a major impact to the
chances of striking the water ?

Basically I would like to explor these two options still further.

Regards
Holla
ardesarchitects

Re: Borewell dilemma

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Holla
In general any geologist will give 2 or 3 location in the site with variation in water table depth.In case you have only one option either you need to take a chance or plan according to bore so that in future there is a provision for re-bore.
In any case you can work with both options of stilt and with out stilt.Check with the geologist for one more point , success rate is high in 90% cases.

Good luck...

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
ngupta

Post by ngupta »

I consider , IMHO, Most of time these so called geologist are actually no-expert; They shall always give a point in N-E side to sound vaastu complaint.

Sometimes such advice screw up design and structure plan. As site is small 30*40, so probability is same for most of location with in site. Just plan building in a way you want, and keep 2 options open for now as well as future.

But note now a days typical depth in bangalore is 700-900 feet, so ensure there is provision for maintenance. That shall need to take out that long pipe as well borewel-pump height itself becomes 8-10 feet with its stages. so if it comes under ceiling, chamber should be spacious enough.
amohit

Post by amohit »

Can someone please give us some lead on some good borewell companies in blr east area? We want to dig a new bore for our 45 flat apartment complex. The existing one is at 450ft and has gone dry. We now want to go to 1000ft. We got the lead that Kannan is good, but when we called them they said they can go max of 850ft deep.
appreciate the help.

Regards,
Mohit
blrsiteseeker

Post by blrsiteseeker »

Mohit,

there are many good companies. I was told Kannan Borewell is one of them. Let me tell you my experience with them.

They are not punctual in keeping appointments.
They expect an initial portion of the bill upfront, before they setup - that in itself is not a negative, but they expect it without a receipt. I made sure I got my receipt first.
Their estimates in scheduling is not very good - they told me they would be done in 2 hours, but it took them 8 hours (this was even with the estimate of depth provided by geologist which was highly accurate)
They are not very organized in telling you all the things / steps that you need / will occur. For example, they came to the site and then told me I needed a tarpaulin to protect neighbours houses from dust. I don't dig wells on a daily basis, I did not know this. And where at the site could I find it.
They did a good job on digging itself.
They did not clean up after they were done. We had to clean all the neighbours sidewalk etc. they just finished their job and packed up.
Be ready with a pump and connection, otherwise, they say they will come back to connect and test when you get one - I was not ready with it, and they still expected full payment. I ofcourse did not pay in full, withheld 10% till they came back to connect and test it.

I have no experience with any others, but I am pretty sure that they are all the same.
Good luck.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi ,Blrsiteseeker

Its all the same with most borewell guys..I would say the building contractor should educate owner about on site problems like covers ,pump etc....
Since he would have involved in almost all his projects borewell works.
In general the borewell guys are not educated and won't be professional.

regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
blrsiteseeker

Post by blrsiteseeker »

Praveen,

thanks. Yes, if we had a building contractor before we started, that would be logical. But sometimes, it is necessary to dig the well prior to construction start (say you are planting trees etc ) so they are mature before you build your home.

Agreed, they may not be educated. But being professional does not really need education does it. It would be to their benefit to make notes of issues encountered, provide checklists to clients - which would ease their work as well (in fact they had to sit idle till I went and procured a tarp). THese little things will help them build better reputation.

but I do agree, we have to do our home work and be knowledgeable about everything before we attempt anything.
amohit

Post by amohit »

Hi All,

thanks for your inputs. we finally went with Kannan Borewells.
All the points mentioned above are true to the last letter :)

I will start a new thread to post my learnings from this exercise.

Regards,
Mohit
LOKI

Post by LOKI »

http://www.scribd.com/doc/53694003/Bore-Well-FAQ
LOKI

Safest distance to drill bore well on existing building

Post by LOKI »

Any Idea about what's the safest distance from existing building to drill new bore well ?

Return to “Civil Construction”