Inputs for home construction material selections

ardesarchitects

Inputs for home construction material selections

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi............
In today’s market you get every architectural /interior product in economy, moderate, premium qualities. I am trying to put some of the options in various ranges
Here are some of the inputs from my prof experience………. I am giving you some of the good places to get material in b'lore.

Windows

* In case of wood you can opt for complete teak, for budget you can use sal / red sal frames and teak shutters. Shutters should always be in teak, since the thickness is hardly about 1.25” other wood will bend very easily.

You can get wood in mysore road (Bangalore), best place you can approach Karnataka forest dept depot on mysore road, these people don’t sell the raw wood, like fenesta they make windows to your spec and deliver it. You can rely about the proper seasoned wood from these guys.

Flooring

* If your budget permits go for Italian marble starting at a range of 300/- sft, its very soft stone and pre polished .So after the installation there would be much polishing like marble and you get these in various English colors .I would recommend HMG next to lalbagh gate on the double road.
* I wouldn’t suggest Indian marble, since the porosity is to high it takes the stains very easily. Also chances of marble cancer (floor turns in to yellow patches) are very high and the polishing is very much time consuming.
* Vitrified is the best solution for the decent budgeted homes. I would suggest a place called PC mallapa & co in infantry road .you get to see wide variety here ( Indian, Italian ).You can also visit sai gallery( indiranagar 100’ road),style box (jc road).I would suggest RAK brand in vitrified, they have a wide variety and quality.

While choosing the tiles shop be careful that they provide you only A- grade tiles, many shops seems to be cheap and best deal, but they sell C- grade tiles (used in apartments).Every tiles company will release the tiles that are first and last in the batch production as other B, C- grade tiles, since there will be shade, thickness, size variations.
Choose each variety of tiles only from one batch, so you are assured of same shade.

Paints

* Now any brand in paints is almost same. Asian being the market leader (they have products in various budgets), dulux is little better than Asian in quality and weather resistance, the shades are good in all (personally I like dulux for its quality). You can also try Nippon from Japan, these are zero lead content. If you are looking for some special shades try in jortun, they have a few interesting shades than other but no of shades are less when compared to others.
* Again when ever you choose for agencies make sure they are standard guys , usually the base (In which the tints are mixed to get the colored paints) should be changed as per the shade. In some outlets they use only one base for all the shades, since some base material are costly.

Sinks

* I would recommend nirali ( purposeful) check this www.niralisinks.com, I haven’t heard about nirlep sinks
* There are other brands like Frankie ( good in designer type, multi national brand, sophisticated models), jayna , century ( economical and moderate range )

Stick to the basic type when you choose for utility, since anti scratch other designer series are useless if not maintained properly. In the main kitchen you can go for designer since it will be used by the owners than servant maid.

Bathroom fixtures

* I would recommend jaguar since they have wide variety, easy to maintain. You should look at service point of view. They even deal with hansegrohe a very high end designer brand in India with wide network.
* I have seen no issues with jaguar at all in long run. They have everything in there stores right from economy to premium.
* While you choose your plumbing take care that your water pressure in the plumb lines are sufficient enough to operate the fixtures. Most of the showers like rain dance etc..need more pressure to enjoy the actual effects of it.
* You have experience centre in every city, in Bangalore it is near to Indian express building. Here you get to experience all the showers practically and everything been `explained by the company trained executives. They don’t sell products here, they only educate about there products.
* For sanitary ware hindware is good in all perspectives, for high end you can go for toto or duravit these are good once with wide network in India. I don’t recommend to go for Italian brands unless you are ok spend large amounts on it also availability of spares like seat cover, tank spares, connecting pipes will be a problem in future .
* For purposeful designer wash basins you can check simpolo , these are available in wide variety and the quality is also good. check http://www.simpolo.net/ other standard options are in hindware and parryware Italian range, for high end you can go for toto or duravit.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
ardesarchitects@yahoo.co.in
tvsh

Re: Inputs for home construction material selections

Post by tvsh »

Hi Praveen,

Nice write up on the selection of Materials. Thanks for the write up.

I had one question about paints. When you say "Now any brand in paints is almost same". Are they all low VOC or No VOC paints? or some of them in each brand are low/No VOC paints?

Thanks,
tvsh
blrhudugi

Post by blrhudugi »

namburi

thank you for a very good write up. It is very much appreciated by people starting off on the construction phase.
blrhudugi

Post by blrhudugi »

Namburi,

would it be possible to provide similar information on

1. bathtubs - the good ones and where best to buy them.
2. Kitchen modular or otherwise
3. Kitchen vents
4. Electrical - lights, fans, geysers etc.

Are Johnson Tiles good in your opinion,and what about the Kohler India products. (they look good on the website), but would like to know how expensive they are and the maintenance issues if any.

I have found the following websites -
www.hrjohnsonindia.com/main.html
www.kohler.co.in/
cookscape.com (although lately I have not been able to get in).

If anyone has any information about these or other sites and stores, please pitch in.

Also, how is Home Town (I believe it is by the Forum mall) does it have a URL that I can use to check it out.
And what are the other one stop stores like that.

Thank you.
sgowda

Post by sgowda »

thanks a bunch for this info praveen & also do u have any recommendation on kitchen granite counter tops?
sgowda.
ardesarchitects

Hi tvsh
To my knowledge most of the leading brands are low voc ,nippon from japan claims to be no voc like with lead free,odour less etc...
Ar.Praveen.N
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Hi Praveen

can you enlighten us on the side effects of VOC paints which is monopolysed in this world ?
ardesarchitects

Hi msn
To be frank I am not really aware of its complete side effects, to my knowledge it makes asthma and other breathing problems much worse, you can feel eye burning sensations for a long time after the application. May be a doctor would be the best person to ask. .

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
sharankumar_hr

Post by sharankumar_hr »

Hi Praveen,

This is very good info . Thanks for the detailed message. Our house is in plastering stage and I was looking for this information.

On flooring , You have not mentioned about granite and wooden flooring . Are these not considered now.

Thanks
-Sharan
ardesarchitects

Hi every one
Thanks for all the compliments……….

Regards
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers

Return to “Civil Construction”