setback & FAR violation

drk

setback & FAR violation

Post by drk »

Hi,

I have a 750 sq. ft north-west corner plot. The plan that I have for the house construction does not meet the setback requirements. I am not sure if it meets the FAR requirements also. In this regard, I have the following questions:

1. Most of them are mentioning/suggesting me that there will be two different plans : one for house construction, and another for approval by BBMP. We get the approval for one design which satisfies the BBMP's requirements, but the actual construction will happen on another design. In order to accomplish this I was told that I have to spend money in unauthorised manner

2. Based on my understanding of reading news_papers for the last 5 years, I some have got an understanding that, We can get approval even for the plan which does not satisfy the BBMP's requirements, but after paying penalty for the setback and FAR violations. Is my understanding not correct ?

3. This way the penalty money reaches the corporation, and hopefully can be used for developing city infrastructure ? Is this still not in place ?

Thanks and Regards,
drk
ardesarchitects

Re: setback & FAR violation

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi drk
Yes there are two plans for any building,
One: The sanction plan made just for sanction authorities as per bye laws, there is no way you can show any violations in it.
Two: The design plan, as per which you construct the home. This is made in accordance to your requirements.

As of today there is no facility of getting sanctioned with violations, in case of sakrama scheme is re-introduced you can get your building regularized by paying penalty on the violated areas.
In general you can violate up to 5% on the sanctioned plan and this can be regularized during occupancy by paying penalty.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@yahoo.co.in
drk

Post by drk »

Hi Praveen,

Thanks for the quick inputs. Based on the land cost in bangalore, it is practically impossible to construct a house in bangalore following the setback rules for sites having area of 750 sq.ft. I am not able to understand why sites of these dimensions are being developed, when we cannot have a plan sanctioned for this purpose.

Thanks and Regards,
drk
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

It all depends on individuals attitude. In your case, you are talking of 750 sq.ft. But people having 10,000 sq.ft also violates. So dimension doesn't make difference. First we need to understand what is the purpose of the Set Back and Bye-laws.

This is made to ensure proper lighting and air circulation for every house. People thinking of making bigger space within the available dimension and later suffer with Depression, BP, diabetes and many other health issues which are basically due to lack of Fresh Air and natural light.

Instead of blaming the developers for making 750 Sq.ft site, buyers should discourage the smaller dimension sites.
ardesarchitects

Hi....
I feel the setbacks for the individual houses should be more flexible , leaving setback on every side continuously is waste of lot space. Instead we can accumulate the space in one location .A decent courtyard of 8’x 8’ will give more lighting and ventilation when compared to 3' -4' corridors all around the house.
In urban context sites we should look at some kind of relief in the home with out compromising the room spaces. Just building huge rooms and leaving 2’ space all around and you see the neighbor’s house if you open any of the windows in the house. I personally feel windows with no option to keep them open are of no use.
I feel the govt should encourage concept like courtyards, skylights, multilevel ventilation, Ventilation cooling towers (works very well in dry climates like Rajasthan) .People using these concepts should be given some relief in setbacks.

Regards
Ar.praveen.N
blrsiteseeker

Post by blrsiteseeker »

Ardesarchitects

that is a great idea. but the issue then will be when one person decides to make modifications to the house - the neighbour's structural integrity may be compromised.

Your concept will be good for when the builders do it - as row houses or twins etc. those are sold that way, and the home owner's association will be the approving authority for any changes to be made, and in case of issues will arbiter them.

but for individual owners, it becomes a very difficult issue to handle, even if at the beginning the 2 owners agree to do it that way, since one person could sell it or the heirs may not be compatible with each other.
ardesarchitects

Hi blr

In these concepts one is not dependent on neighbor site; we will have our own court yard and plan all the rooms around it. In case the neighbor builds in his complete site, even then we have our own courtyard. Try to open your max windows or keep line of eye-site from inside the house to green courtyard. This will give a great relief from urban concrete jungles.

Regards
Ar.praveen.N
blrsiteseeker

Post by blrsiteseeker »

Yes, if we each have a courtyard, there will be plenty of light and air. but I thought the thread started with someone complaining about the sites being small and not being able to meet minimum far requirements. for that concept to work, the width of sites have to be large - otherwise, it becomes very difficult to have decent sized rooms and the courtyard.
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

We must leave the specified setback around the plot for our own benefit. It is based on the scientific method for the health/wealth of the individuals. just by occupying the larger space and then silently suffering the health issues is not an achievement. Don't be greedy. Embrace the natural light and ventilation and get rid of the health issues.

Accumulating the space at one corner makes way for maximum 2 sides. what about the other areas of the house ? the position of the windows can always be aligned so that it should not come on the way of neighbours door/window. Even in many apartment internal layouts also designed in such a way that if you open bed room door, you will not see kitchen, bathroom or next bedroom doors.

HEALTH IS THE WEALTH. WEALTH WITHOUT HEALTH IS WASTE.

Return to “Civil Construction”