Grill vs Hexagon rods for Windows

sk1976

Grill vs Hexagon rods for Windows

Post by sk1976 »

All,
What are the pros and cons of having Hexagon rods in place of Grill for Windows. My carpenter is suggesting me to go with Hexagon rods for all windows. Look forward to your opinion on this. He is suggesting that to enhance the asthetic of the Hexagon rods, to weld few small decorative pieces per window in the hexagon rods.

Look forward ur advice on this.

Regards,
Selva
pradeepecr

Re: Grill vs Hexagon rods for Windows

Post by pradeepecr »

Earlier even I thought of going for grills for asthetic, my carpender suggested to go with hexagon rod on safety perspective. Also nowadays old trend back, I have seen people using straight hexagon rods in new projects.
I feel for wood window its good choice to go with Hexagon rods.
maintenance is easy & economical.

Pradeep
tvsh

Post by tvsh »

I was told welding Hexagon Rods was difficult and just using horizontal bars would compromise on the safety of the windows. One can easily use a crowbar to bend any parallel bars, hence went with grills.
palmut

Post by palmut »

Not true. Hexagon rods are comparatively safer than grill windows. Depends upon the thickness of the rod one has chosen. Moreover, grill windows are fitted to the window frames only at 4 places whereas each of the rods are fitted into the window frame.

Breaking hexagon rods is definitely a possibility as are grill windows.
maheshvivid2003

Post by maheshvivid2003 »

my carpenter suggested that
if safety is big concern then go for hexagon rods n not for grill framed rods
most of the people use hexagon rods they r strong compare to any other rods

i have used 12mm square rods feel not strong compare hexagon rods

Breaking hexagon rods is definitely a possibility as are grill windows.+++++++++
tvsh

Post by tvsh »

Hexagon Rods themselves are stronger than 10mm or 12 mm square rods. However, with 10mm or 12 mm rods, we can have vertical rods as well as horizontal rods welded together making it stronger than parallel hexagon rods. A grid pattern eliminates the possibility of using a crowbar to pry open the window grill.
m3_07

Post by m3_07 »

Hexagonal rods are inserted into the window frames with holes drilled. Hence, removing them will take good amount of efforts with everyone noticing them.

Conventional grill frames can be aesthetically removed by just unsrewing the frames. Ofcourse, the security can also be incorporated into these frames, if the corners are drilled into window frames.
sholla

Post by sholla »

These hexagonal rods are the bright rods and they have high strength
compared to normal grill material. They cannot be bent easily.
Secondly you can control the spacing between the rods while making
the frames for the windows in risky areas.
rjblr

Post by rjblr »

Two queries on using hexagon rods-
1) Can we use hexagon rods with upvc windows from fenesta?
2) Or hexagon rods work only with wooden windows?
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

rjblr wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 7:40 pm
Two queries on using hexagon rods-
1) Can we use hexagon rods with upvc windows from fenesta?
2) Or hexagon rods work only with wooden windows?
Hexagon rods work better only with wooden windows. For upvc rods are drilled onto wall. Upvc frames are just fitted into window space and screwed. Upvc frame and window will be independent of each other . Technically you can drill hexagon rods onto wall and use upvc window, but that would look downright ugly.

What is the safety that we are asking for ? Human safety or personal belonging safety . If it is personal belonging safety, more than thinking about grills, buy a huge heavy weight safety locker which can be screwed onto wall from inside. Robbers will burn their midnight oil trying to remove a locker screwed from inside and then carry 100 kg locker out.

If it is human safety, they have better options than grills.

Return to “Civil Construction”