Borewell or Not

kraghum

Borewell or Not

Post by kraghum »

Hi
I have a 40X40 corner site in hebbal coffe board layout , it South/West facing. on West i have a new Submerged water tank for storing cauvery water that been coming up and they are saying from Next month BWSSB will start supplying water.
House on east side has water @300ft, and few of the houses which are some 50mts doesn't have water, all their bore well dried up. my architect is against we drilling Bore well as she say for a family fo 5 don't spent that much rather we will use the money to build house for effective water utilization and harvesting with grey water treatment etc.

So should i invest on bore well or not. Her opinion is even if we do after some time our bore well also Dry and by drilling we are not helping the environment. Her Idea is
1. Use Tanker water during construction
2. Building Sink well of 20 ft for harvesting Rainwater
3. Build another sump of 12k ltr capacity in garage
4. Use the water from Washing machine and kitchen for garden by simple water treatment

avg 125ltr/day/person ie 625 ltr/day. with a normal rain yearly 5~6 months we shouldn't depend on external water, and anyway Cauvery water is coming from next month (BWSSB already filled the tank for test run) and my house is exactly opposite to water tank (100ft, 40ft road +40ft to tank wall :) )

what do you folks suggest.

Please post your comments
Raghu
m3_07

Re: Borewell or Not

Post by m3_07 »

Nice read !!

Surprising to know that the water yield starts from 300 feet onwards in that area. Believe me, with a further more deep you drill & by employing good rain water harvesting techniques, the bore will not go dry.

Many places in north have been eagerly awaiting cauvery for the past 6 months, including me. Having said this, the supply will be something like bi - weekly & not on an uninterrupted daily basis.

While you have been in bangalore this year, you would appropriately know how the rains have fared this season. This post is not to advise you to drill a bore, but to let you understand that the quality of the water supply is very poor. It is not direct potable water. You will need to use all kinds of gadgets to make it potable. This however will not be a case with your bore water, if the taste is sweet. Also, you could supply this potable water to the community. There is a gentlemen near my place, who supplies water, free, to over 300 families every day - 24x7. He had a better yeild & GOD bless him for that !!
pvr59ksl

Post by pvr59ksl »

Hi all :D

I am planning to construct my house at BSK6th stage. One of my neighbor has found water at 750 ft and another at 900 ft. It is heard that some have not found water at all. One neighbor has not dug a bore well and is getting water by tanker. However, water and sewage lines have been laid long back and all have taken connection even though Kaveri water supply has not started and nobody has any idea when it will be provided.

I am in a dilemma. To bore or not. What will be the requirement of water during construction ? Mine is a 30X40 site, planning for G+1 floor. Your valuable suggestions are sought.
sreekbda

Post by sreekbda »

I have decided not go for borewell due to the high cost and luck factor involved. One tanker of water will cost 300 rupees and one can get 300 tankers for 1 lakh rupees. So, i don't see why we need a borewell.
pvr59ksl

Post by pvr59ksl »

@sreekbda, thanks for your input :D . For short term, your idea is excellent. What bothers me is whether it will it be economical in the long run if Kaveri water is delayed for years together. In some areas the BBMP is seen digging rain pits in the storm water drains. Has anybody in BDA areas thought of doing it privately infront of their houses to increase the water table ? Will BDA allow it ? Would'nt it be a great idea if everybody does it ? It doesn't require much investment also since a pit and sand and gravel alone is required for these rain pits. May I PM you for mutual sharing of info ?
maheshv

Post by maheshv »

My thoughts are similar to sreekbda, construct a large size sump (10k lit or more) and supply from water tank.
My father had done borwell in pervious house and after 2 years it started pumping soil. All the money spent was lost.
Similarly I hear and see borwells in layouts going dry within a year
tvsh

Post by tvsh »

kraghum wrote:Hi
I have a 40X40 corner site in hebbal coffe board layout , it South/West facing. on West i have a new Submerged water tank for storing cauvery water that been coming up and they are saying from Next month BWSSB will start supplying water.
House on east side has water @300ft, and few of the houses which are some 50mts doesn't have water, all their bore well dried up. my architect is against we drilling Bore well as she say for a family fo 5 don't spent that much rather we will use the money to build house for effective water utilization and harvesting with grey water treatment etc.

So should i invest on bore well or not. Her opinion is even if we do after some time our bore well also Dry and by drilling we are not helping the environment. Her Idea is
1. Use Tanker water during construction
2. Building Sink well of 20 ft for harvesting Rainwater
3. Build another sump of 12k ltr capacity in garage
4. Use the water from Washing machine and kitchen for garden by simple water treatment

what do you folks suggest.

Please post your comments
Raghu
I agree with your architect's suggestion. If each and every house drills their own borewell, a few of them will see water for a few years and eventually every one of them would go dry. I have used rain water harvesting and am using it for all use along with Borewell water supplied by Mysore city corporation. I am surprised your architect has only suggested using a Sinkwell for Harvesting Rainwater. This would only recharge the ground water and she has not suggested you to use rainwater after filtering it.

I was skeptical in using greywater recycling as I could not find any example of being it in use. Good luck with Grey water recycling, if you choose to take that route.
aries31

Post by aries31 »

I was in the same position, but a simple calculation showed that rain water harvesting is a better route. (place the money in corporate FD and use the interest to buy tanker water) - no risk of "bore drying up" etc. If you drill a bore, please install ground water recharging too

If the rain fails, we have bigger problems to worry about...

PS:I have opted for a 20,000 ltr sump for RWH. We will have zero-b and use the RWH for drinking too.
sam_m400

Post by sam_m400 »

How to do Rain water harvesting?

1. collect all the water from terrace via pipe and put filter and load to your sump tank.

2.Have pit around 10 ft with jelly near the bore well ,and send the water into that.

So same pipe line can be used to send water to both sump/and bore well.

Is this way to recharge?
saisuraksha

Post by saisuraksha »

Around the Bore well, you have to dig for 10 to 15 ft and put a concrete rings and fill it with Course Stone 40mm one layer and 20mm other layer and fine course sand one layer and Coal. Main idea is to filter the water before its going down. This is called as Recharging the bore well.

Return to “Civil Construction”