Air cracks in granite

sam_m400

Air cracks in granite

Post by sam_m400 »

I am in the process of putting the granite ,and in some granites i have seen cracks which the granite guys saying are air cracks which are not visible but they are not actual cracks. When he does some chemical wash it will go, how far this crack is different from the normal cracks...........? . He also mentioned this crack won't be much visible when we actually takes the granites........
ardesarchitects

Re: Air cracks in granite

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
Air cracks are normal in granites but you should make sure they are not in slabs while selecting it self.There any many granite shops in which air cracks are filled with resins and sold at cheaper price.
Many time we can make it out with naked eyes,unless you see them in different agles and in good lighting.
Make sure you go for granite selection only on a shine days.
Full cracks can be seen behind the slabs with naked eyes and if wish to pick the same slab they should deduct the entire portion of granite.

Regarsd
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Desingers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
sam_m400

Post by sam_m400 »

Thanks , but we couldn't see the air cracks at the the time of selection as only after the laying it has started appearing. My laying person told it is very difficult to find the air crack as other full crack can be seen using naked eye which will be deep till the end and on the side it will come. Is any problem could happen with air crack like water going inside while clearnign with water etc as they are not like deep like full cracks ?. . This happens if the epoxy polish is not done on the granite ,and mine is not being done with epoxy compound as there is coloring visible on the side of the slabs. I have seen the link http://www.ehow.com/how_6190149_granite ... epair.html where they mention how to remove the hairline crack , and the information on the net where they use the epoxy for the air cracks ........

VITO EPOXY SYSTEMS (FOR PIN HOLES & AIR CRACKS)
Description : VITO Epoxy systems is a combination of epoxy resin & Catalyst, to fill pin holes & air cracks in marble & granite.
Application : Mix Part A and Part B in proportionate ratio by weight, apply with putty blade on complete marble after the 2 no Grinding. After applying let it dry for 24 hours and continue with next polishing steps.
Advantage : Fills air cracks & holes, enhances the gloss & gives protection.
Suitable : For Marbles, granites.
Packing : 1.25 Kg, 3 Kg & 25 Kg.
m3_07

Post by m3_07 »

sam_m400 wrote:This happens if the epoxy polish is not done on the granite ,and mine is not being done with epoxy compound as there is coloring visible on the side of the slabs
Coloring is visible only if epoxy coat is done. Epoxy coat is done for 2 reasons:

1. to hide the cracks - This will eventually appear over a period of time when the coat fades.
2. to increase the shine/ gloss of the stone - this will eventually fade (max 6 months) & you will start to see the "actual color" of the stone.

air cracks in italian marble & soft stones is a very common feature. as long as the crack doesn't appear behind the stone, you will not have issues.
rathod

Post by rathod »

Hi,

I have been seeing cracks in italian marbles. Hence decided to go ahead with vitrified tiles. Can you please suggests best brands without bent?
Vitrified tiles come in
2X2 feet with thickness of 9mm,
2X4 feet with thickness of 12mm,
2.5X4 (Double Charge).
Which one is preferrables?
Do we need to install tiles with/without spacer?

Thanks !
Rathod.
Purusoth Ariputhiri

Post by Purusoth Ariputhiri »

Dear Rathod,

My suggestion would be for 2'x4', if it is for living space it will brings lots of aesthetic. you will have wide range of shade and finish available in Kajaria, Somany & Nitco. Somany had displayed such tiles in Recent ACE expo (it will cost you around 120/SQft).

I had attached the flooring pattern, instead of laying with normal patterns try with brick or zigzag it looks different and good.

Engineering point of view, we strongly recommend tile to be laid with spacer to take the expansion and contraction of the structure. you can avoid lifting of tile at later stage. and you will have wide range of grout (Cementitious and epoxy) with colours to match.

Regards
Purusoth Ariputhiri
Attachments
FLOORING LAYOUT.pdf
(36.67 KiB) Downloaded 450 times

Return to “Civil Construction”