Borewell experience

vpbs_bak

Borewell experience

Post by vpbs_bak »

Here's a summary of my experience with borewell drilling for my house (so far):

0. To do OR not
This actually happened after step 1 for me. I went back and forth a few times. Economically it makes sense NOT to do it provided you et Cauvery water within a reasonable time. In my layout all feel +ve it will happen next year. But that's what I heard early last year too. Besides, following up on tanker, ensuring its quality & quantity seemed somewhat of an hassle. But the real reason is the uncertainty of Cauvery in my area.

1. Borewell Application
rkrishna's post covers all details well. I followed up pretty much those steps:

http://www.mybdasites.com/viewtopic.php ... 636#p22636

One deviation: phase 2 step 4 happened differently for me.

2. Diviner
Called Mr. M.V.Srinivas for Borewell point fixing. You can read an old article that appeared in "The Hindu" about him here:

http://www.hindu.com/pp/2007/03/17/stor ... 480300.htm

He did the coconut method as described there. He has to come from Hebbal by bus but was fairly accurate on the appointment time. He asked me to bring a small rod to fix the point that he would mark (I ended up getting one from the construction site). He took about 15-20 minutes. He was focused and seemed to locate two points - one near NE corner and the other near SW corner. He mentioned the latter has better yield but I couldn't go with it since that'd be a significant change to my plans. Went with the one near NE corner. I guess I've to do something about the small projection the Borewell may cause. He charged me Rs. 2000 (seemed high, tried to bargain with no luck). He also brought one Borewell guy with him. Srinivas claimed to know him for 15 years (thought the Borewell guy looked like in late 20's). I didn't go with that Borewell guy though

3. Drilling
I had spoken with Venkatesh from Vinayaka borewell. His rates were good (attached). Called Venkatesh on Sunday evening - he was ready to start but only by 5 PM. Skipped that since it was Rahu Kalam. Decided to do at 5 AM on Monday. Venkatesh's contact person, Bagyaraj, called me to confirm but called very late at 10.40 pm or so. I told him I'll meet at 5 near a common point.

The next day (Monday) Bagyaraj called me at 4 am (Btw, I was told, in Blr no one does Borewell digging on Tuesdays). Asked if I can come in 30 minutes ?! Anyways got ready and reached site by 4.45 or so. It took a while to get the lorry in - finally all came and unloaded by 5.30. They need to remove one compound wall pillar around - rest of the area were all set (it was cleaned up on Sunday). They started work at around 5.50 or so. I prayed all Gods I could think of.

The first sound was shockingly loud. Lot of white powdery smoke flyin around. I was told it was all rocky surface. We used only one MS Casing pipe - they said that's enough. I couldn't get to read the manufacturer label but asked Bagyaraj he said it is 2.8mm pipe only. God knows what brand. Since it was only one, I left. Was there for another one hour. It looked like they were roughly covering 100' every hour.

Kept calling Bagyaraj. Finally at 1 pm the call came just when I was about to have lunch - "we got water exactly at 700'". Asked them to continue - went & got some sweets. I was told yield "looks" like 2 inches. I could see the water gushing out and streaming away. When I went they were at 740'. Called Geologist, he said "go till 800' and see if the yield looks better; else stop". Went till 800' - looked the same to me. Finally decided to wrap up at 840'. Was feeling damn hungry as well as the dust was doing something to my head.

Here's where I made an error - asked my Mesthri who was there to count the rod once they're done and start pulling them out. Went home and came back. I don't think Mesthri was doin a proper count - was very upset. Counted the rest myself - some 25 rods. In hindsight should've stayed anyway.

Got the final bill: 92K (cash 30K advance). They charged me for welding as well even though only one casing pipe. I decided to leave that as tips. Finally the main driller came - I tipped him but I guess for some reason he turned it down - must have been lower than what he thought though I felt it was good.

4. Motor

Still shopping. Almost zeroing in on one:

http://www.mybdasites.com/viewtopic.php ... 777#p22776

Lessons

1. Don't rely on anyone to do the Borewell drill rods counting; better ask them to hold off till you're there [EIDT: Btw, I heard that each drill rod is only 18' and NOT 20'...I guess I got swindled for another 80' this way :( just be careful on this one as there was a mybdasites posting that I missed.....better carry something you can measure with OR insist that the rods are only 18')
2. Skip Tuesdays (Blr Borewell inauspicious); or if you don't care, do it that day as you may get a good deal
3. Diviner: seems ok option; I'd say better get it done before construction plan approval; if you get a point marked for Borewell, that way you can plan accordingly
4. During drilling, they need few gunny bags to cover the drill head (the place where the drill rods are joined). Carry 3 or 4.
5. Finally, trust Him/Her/It, be prepared for all results.
Last edited by vpbs_bak on June 22nd, 2013, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MNRS

Re: Borewell experience

Post by MNRS »

Nice info.

What about the pipes ? Have you used single rubber pipe or iron (gpc) pipes ?

Thanks
vpbs_bak

Post by vpbs_bak »

You mean the casing pipe ? I used single MS casing (not the PVC)
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Dear vpbs_pak

Curious to know, what is the need of a geologist's advise, when borewell diviner(srinivas) was there?
vpbs_bak

Post by vpbs_bak »

Diviner just gave an idea of where we could find the water source. Once it happened, I wanted a geologist (TBH, more scientific) assessment of how far to go further.
raju2013

Post by raju2013 »

Hi all,

Recently I got the borewell drilled and though the quotes were similar for per feet basis,
watch out carefully the casing charges and other items as they will try to make money in other items.

-raju
snelgi

Post by snelgi »

I'm not sure if you have the diviner contact details, can you please share his contact details if available?
vpbs_bak wrote:Here's a summary of my experience with borewell drilling for my house (so far):

0. To do OR not
This actually happened after step 1 for me. I went back and forth a few times. Economically it makes sense NOT to do it provided you et Cauvery water within a reasonable time. In my layout all feel +ve it will happen next year. But that's what I heard early last year too. Besides, following up on tanker, ensuring its quality & quantity seemed somewhat of an hassle. But the real reason is the uncertainty of Cauvery in my area.

1. Borewell Application
rkrishna's post covers all details well. I followed up pretty much those steps:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4206&p=22636#p22636

One deviation: phase 2 step 4 happened differently for me.

2. Diviner
Called Mr. M.V.Srinivas for Borewell point fixing. You can read an old article that appeared in "The Hindu" about him here:

http://www.hindu.com/pp/2007/03/17/stor ... 480300.htm

He did the coconut method as described there. He has to come from Hebbal by bus but was fairly accurate on the appointment time. He asked me to bring a small rod to fix the point that he would mark (I ended up getting one from the construction site). He took about 15-20 minutes. He was focused and seemed to locate two points - one near NE corner and the other near SW corner. He mentioned the latter has better yield but I couldn't go with it since that'd be a significant change to my plans. Went with the one near NE corner. I guess I've to do something about the small projection the Borewell may cause. He charged me Rs. 2000 (seemed high, tried to bargain with no luck). He also brought one Borewell guy with him. Srinivas claimed to know him for 15 years (thought the Borewell guy looked like in late 20's). I didn't go with that Borewell guy though

3. Drilling
I had spoken with Venkatesh from Vinayaka borewell. His rates were good (attached). Called Venkatesh on Sunday evening - he was ready to start but only by 5 PM. Skipped that since it was Rahu Kalam. Decided to do at 5 AM on Monday. Venkatesh's contact person, Bagyaraj, called me to confirm but called very late at 10.40 pm or so. I told him I'll meet at 5 near a common point.

The next day (Monday) Bagyaraj called me at 4 am (Btw, I was told, in Blr no one does Borewell digging on Tuesdays). Asked if I can come in 30 minutes ?! Anyways got ready and reached site by 4.45 or so. It took a while to get the lorry in - finally all came and unloaded by 5.30. They need to remove one compound wall pillar around - rest of the area were all set (it was cleaned up on Sunday). They started work at around 5.50 or so. I prayed all Gods I could think of.

The first sound was shockingly loud. Lot of white powdery smoke flyin around. I was told it was all rocky surface. We used only one MS Casing pipe - they said that's enough. I couldn't get to read the manufacturer label but asked Bagyaraj he said it is 2.8mm pipe only. God knows what brand. Since it was only one, I left. Was there for another one hour. It looked like they were roughly covering 100' every hour.

Kept calling Bagyaraj. Finally at 1 pm the call came just when I was about to have lunch - "we got water exactly at 700'". Asked them to continue - went & got some sweets. I was told yield "looks" like 2 inches. I could see the water gushing out and streaming away. When I went they were at 740'. Called Geologist, he said "go till 800' and see if the yield looks better; else stop". Went till 800' - looked the same to me. Finally decided to wrap up at 840'. Was feeling damn hungry as well as the dust was doing something to my head.

Here's where I made an error - asked my Mesthri who was there to count the rod once they're done and start pulling them out. Went home and came back. I don't think Mesthri was doin a proper count - was very upset. Counted the rest myself - some 25 rods. In hindsight should've stayed anyway.

Got the final bill: 92K (cash 30K advance). They charged me for welding as well even though only one casing pipe. I decided to leave that as tips. Finally the main driller came - I tipped him but I guess for some reason he turned it down - must have been lower than what he thought though I felt it was good.

4. Motor

Still shopping. Almost zeroing in on one:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3710&p=22777#p22776

Lessons

1. Don't rely on anyone to do the Borewell drill rods counting; better ask them to hold off till you're there [EIDT: Btw, I heard that each drill rod is only 18' and NOT 20'...I guess I got swindled for another 80' this way :( just be careful on this one as there was a mybdasites posting that I missed.....better carry something you can measure with OR insist that the rods are only 18')
2. Skip Tuesdays (Blr Borewell inauspicious); or if you don't care, do it that day as you may get a good deal
3. Diviner: seems ok option; I'd say better get it done before construction plan approval; if you get a point marked for Borewell, that way you can plan accordingly
4. During drilling, they need few gunny bags to cover the drill head (the place where the drill rods are joined). Carry 3 or 4.
5. Finally, trust Him/Her/It, be prepared for all results.

Return to “Civil Construction”