Sump construction inputs requested

karyganeshan

Sump construction inputs requested

Post by karyganeshan »

Hello,

I am planning to build a sump of 4500-5000 litre capacity. I browsed thru some posts here and thanks to them, I have understood the steps / process in construction of a sump.
Coming to the cost of it , I have spoken to some of the contractors for quotations.
They are not providing quotes based on capacity, i.e 7 or 8 Rs/cc etc.. Instead, they are asking for a lump sum amount of 1.3 Lac for a 5000 litre sump on brick work.

Is this a reasonable amount, I feel its on higher side ? Also, is a RCC sump a better option ?

Regards
kanukaushik

Re: Sump construction inputs requested

Post by kanukaushik »

@Karyganeshan - I feel capacity should be around 6000 ltr as water supplier tank capacity is around 5000 ltr generally so in whichever part of Bangalore you are located sooner or later you may need to rely on these tanks. So keeping that in mind we can go for capacity atleat 6000 ltr.
jackalbda

Post by jackalbda »

I would recommend a 8000 ltr sump. Tankers being 6000 ( 4000 is also available but atleast you need twice in a week then for a family of 4), if you have a 8K sump, you can have extra 2000 ltrs kept as backup while you wait for the guy to come and fill it. I understand that you may have an OHT of say min 1000 ltrs as backup, but with 6k tank, you will have to exhaust it completely to call the tanker. Then you have only 1-1.5K in the overhead which is too less, I feel ( personal choice). Also , the motor in the sump, will not exhaust the full 6K ltrs. There will be some left over, say atleast 1-1.5K beneath the footvalve of the motor. That way, when you fill the tanker of 6K ltrs, it may overflow the sump.

I personally would go for atleast 8K sump.
sun

Post by sun »

I have started earth work from this week and for sump my contractor quoted 8 rupee for a brick work sump, 14 for RCC work sump. I have opted for 10K Ltr sump. Thinking is that if I don't get any water 10-14 days, they family should not face any problems. However cleaning of that sump at least every 6 month once is a challenge.

I am sure you would have taken a good decision as per u r requirement as why brick sump instead of RCC sump, my contractor tells me, if there is any space constraints (like sump is very close neighbors compound wall etc) then its good idea to go with RCC, or else brick work sump is good enough. This is what I have in my contract with him -

• BRICK WORK SUMP of approximately 10,000 Ltrs with “U” type 8 MM rod at every 6”, with Mesh, and 2 quotes of water proof plastering on all 4 sides and bottom with high quality checkered sump door

It may be a good idea to give a contract in per Ltr basis than lump sum as it may work out cheaper for you.

Hope this helps! :)
aries31

Post by aries31 »

It may be a good idea to split the sump into two so that cleaning is easier without completely emptying sump. You can have 50% water always...
karyganeshan

Post by karyganeshan »

Thanks all for the inputs, I am now considering increase in capacity ...
My initial thought was based on a feedback I got, that sump should not be more than twice overhead capacity, ( mine is 2.5 K ), the reasoning was against usage of stale water, i.e water more than 1 week old if capacity is large.....

@Sun - Thanks... yes, I am looking at brick work sump. Based on the Rs/-8 quote you mentioned for total end to end cost, the lump sum quote I have seems high.

Thanks
vijaykumarthapa

Post by vijaykumarthapa »

I got my Sump done from a Contractor near my house (good one i should say) 3500 liters i spent like 20k including materials (plumbing materials & digging extra).
i gave him labour contract and got all materials myself. :)
basha_skj

Post by basha_skj »

Wheather external surface of brick wall sump to be required to do rough plastering or we can leave bare surface? My masons says it is not required.
blrsiteseeker

Post by blrsiteseeker »

another suggestion - tile your sump walls and flooring, that way, you will clearly see when it needs cleaning. I got white tiles from a seconds store and it is all tiled. The other advantage of this is, I can approximately calculate how much water is left in the tank based on the tile markings.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
Any one constructing sump should partition it in to min 2 tanks each of 4k ltr (for a 4-8 occupancy).Its easier to clean the sump with out draining out the complete water.
Also you can use one sump for fresh water (bwssb tanker )and other for borewel. you should always look for min 7days of back up water in your sump.Per person the average consumption is about 200 ltrs per day ,200x6 persons x 7 days = 8400 ltrs sump + 1k or 2k tank should be sufficient .
You may also consider one rain water storage sump if your plumbing system is done for it.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects@gmail.com

Return to “Civil Construction”