Painting process

pavuluru

Painting process

Post by pavuluru »

Hi All,
We have completed the external plastering and internal plastering with lime paste on surface. Planning to consult painter, but before that I'm really confused what has to be done actually. Request to experts, please advise on it.

For internal walls -
Should we use wall care putty or POP(patti)?
When should it be coated with primer, What is the order to follow -
primer, putty, primer and then 2 coats paint or
putty, primer, putty and then 2 coats of paint

In asian paints website the order mentioned is primer, putty(or patti), primer and then paint. Should we follow this?

Also for external walls,
I heard it is good to apply white cement and then paint 2 coats,
But, asian paints suggest to go for primer and then 2 coats of paint.

Please someone suggest on this, I'm hell confused.

Thanks.
Chandu

Re: Painting process

Post by Chandu »

I am also looking for the process to be followed - someone please share your experience.
Chandu

Post by Chandu »

Things I have gathered on painting process for new house ( my work not started yet)

Internal
1) cleaning (sand paper cleaning )
2) 1 coat of primer ( oil based ? )
3) 2 coat of putty ( birla ? )
4) 1 coat primer ( water based )

PS : I am not planning to get internal painting(colour) done now. other wise step-4 will be - "2 coat painting"

External
1) 1 coat primer
2) 2 coat paint

if any one have any suggestion/correction please do.
vmuralictr

Post by vmuralictr »

Painting Procedure :

1. Surface preparation : Removing loose particles & cement slurry on the wall surfaces .

2. Primer One Coat : Primer is Bonding Material . After cleaning the surface primer will be Done

3. Two Coats of Putty : The first coat of Putty level the surface and give a level Base for the paint .

4. One Coat of Paint : After the putty surface has to Sanding will be done with the sand paper . After that 1 coat of paint will be applied .

5. Final coat of Paint : After first coat of paint small touch work has to be done for the wall surface if required Before going for Final coat of Paint

Regards

Murali
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

For Exterior walls also ,Putty is recommended as per the paint website(after primer and for a fresh construction). I have not seen anyone apply putty to exterior walls. Has any one followed it , Does anyone see reduction in paint consumption if so by how much ?
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi guys
For internal walls You can apply primer first if you have not gone for lime rendering.In case you have done the lime rendering then you can do the sanding first and apply the putty direct and then primer with two coats of paints .
External walls putty is not a must ,its only part of aesthetics.If you want the external surface to be smooth then putty is required or else one coat of primer and two coats of paint is enough.
Primer is for bonding and saving on the paints cost.

Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
mudude12

Post by mudude12 »

Hi praveen,

In my case I have not done lime rendering. My painter says we can apply jk/birla putty directly on the sponge finished internal cement wall. He says since this putty is cement based, it would bond well. However, he does suggest one coat of primer between two coats of putty and paint. Please advice if this is right. Anybody else followed this procedure with good results ?

Thnx
Chandu

Post by Chandu »

Yes after applying putty , one coat of primer is recommended before paint.
nabikm

Post by nabikm »

I have just started painting of my new house, my painter is following these steps for Internal walls

1) Two coat Birla putty
2) One coat primer
3) Two coat Asian Putty
4) One coat primer
5) Two coat Royal emulsion paint
Step 3 and 4 not required if you are going for Tractor emulsion.

For external walls
one coat primer and two coat paint
mudude12

Post by mudude12 »

Thanks a lot nabikm. I was looking for exactly this information. Just one more info i need. Where did you buy your paint materials ? I am particularly interested in the birla putty price. Thanks.

Return to “Civil Construction”