Little things we forget while planning

viksat82

Re: Little things we forget while planning

Post by viksat82 »

Visualizer wrote:
viksat82 wrote:
Visualizer wrote:In toilets (first floor and above ) instead of sunken slab go for Gypsum board false ceiling below. The maintenance is very easy and does not involve breaking floors.This works well of bathroom is coming over another bathroom or some open area.
Still you need to cut holes in the slab for floor trap and cut in the beam for passing waste pipes here right?
If planning is done correctly there is no need to cut the beams. In fact beam should never be cut as it weakens the structure.
Hole for the pipes in slab can be laid at the time of casting just like electrical conduits are laid.

All the apartments these days lay pipes using false ceilings instead of sunken slab. Maintenance for blocked pipes and leakage fixing becomes matter of hours and few hundred rupees to plumber, Compared to this in case of sunken slab breaking of tiles and flooring is required and it costs anything around 10 - 20 K Rs and around 2 days of outage at least.
But we will have raise in the floor level to toilet. It may be bit uneasy specially for senior citizens.
Can raise be avoided in this method?
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

No floors are not raised they are at same level as room.
Lets say if ceiling height at each floor is 10 feet bathroom on ground floor will have a gypsum board false ceiling at 8 feet and pipes of 1st floor woll run in this 2 feet cavity. You can fit horizontal geyser also hidden in false ceilings. This scheme continues for each floor.
Only condition is bathrooms should be planned over each other.
Last edited by Visualizer on April 25th, 2019, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gautham

Post by gautham »

Nice thread. I think car parking is one area we often ignore. I need some input on this. I am exploring 30-40 site also. The plan is hall, 1 bed room, kitchen/dining on the ground floor. And 2 bed rooms on the 1 st floor. ( Duplex. Not a rental floor).
My query is, with this requirement can we design parking area such a way that two cars can be parked?. ( Skoda Octavia and Hyundai Santro).
My sense is that its not possible in a 30-40 and 30-50 is the minimum required. Can someone share your views?
viksat82

Post by viksat82 »

Visualizer wrote:No floors are not raised they are at same level as room.
Lets say if ceiling height at each floor is 10 feet bathroom on ground floor will have a gypsum board false ceiling at 8 feet and pipes of 1st floor woll run in this 2 feet cavity. You can fit horizontal geyser also hidden in false ceilings. This scheme continues for each floor.
Only condition is bathrooms should be planned over each other.
Then the water may splash outside bath room right?
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

viksat82 wrote:[

Then the water may splash outside bath room right?
No a marble strip is placed at door sil and also drain and slopes are designed properly.

Why don't you check in apartments built by any reputed builder instead of going back and forth here.
Armchair_general

Post by Armchair_general »

I think I can contribute to this thread:

1. Ensure electricity points are available near bed. Especially A/C and Fan switches.
2. In kitchen, along with chimney make a provision for a exhaust fan. The ventilation will improve the heat.
3. Doors should open outwards in the balcony and backyard, so that rain water splash will not accumulate and leak inside the house.
4. Always go for multiple power outlets, 5 amps and 15 amps. So that any drill work can be done without extension chords.
5. Keep UPS in tank room, if possible, have a light switch or glow lamp which shows if power is running out of UPS or not.
6. Frequent human touch points should be aesthetic and feel good to use.
Armchair_general

The quality of labor for doing work is sub standard here in India. Most of the workers prefer to do minimum and are very resistant to any changes. They will argue and rant stupidly to change your mind from customisation. Dont budge. Stand your ground. It is easier to get it done during construction rather than later drilling holes in the walls.
Armchair_general

7. Have drainage points in the corner to do maintenance if something is stuck.
8. Have water valve shut off points in bathroom and kitchen. Floor cut off in the ground floor. When plumber comes to do any maintenance, no need to run to the terrace and shut off/on the valves.

I will keep adding as and when I remember.

Return to “Civil Construction”