Wooden Window Rates

srinissrini

Wooden Window Rates

Post by srinissrini »

Hi,

I am planning to use Wooden Windows for my house. Can you please let me know what are the rates of Sal/Honne Wood and please share any contacts?
Also, let me know whether Wooden windows have any disadvantages over powder coated Aluminium/UPVC windows.

Thanks,
srinissrini
santro

Re: Wooden Window Rates

Post by santro »

Enclosed the pricelist displayed at Karnataka forest dept located at Mysore road.
Note: They are using Australian Hoone & Burma teak. Price may vary depending on design & add 14.5%VAT.

Adv:
1. Elegent look
2. Fabrication/grill cost is less
3. Value for money

Disadv:
1. Crack/shrinkage will happen due to non seasoning.
2. Maintainance cost involves ( regular paint/polish)
3. Can't reduce the noise level.
Attachments
Karnataka Forest dept pricelist.xls
Karnataka Forest dept pricelist
(147.5 KiB) Downloaded 1363 times
srinissrini

Post by srinissrini »

You are superb Santro...Thank you!!

Just a couple of questions

1. Are these rates latest?
2. Any personal experience with KSFIC..If you have any comments on their Workmanship, Quality, Meeting deadlines etc, please let me know.

Thanks once again,
Srinivas
santro

Post by santro »

Here are my comments..

1. Yes, i noted the rates displayed over there on 18th Jan14 & reconfirmed the same with the staff.
2. No personal experience. You can see their workmanship & quality of wood at their factory.
vpbs_bak

Post by vpbs_bak »

Yes this is very good info.

How can one calculate the per cft rate from this ? For instance, for 4'*7' door - "6"x4" - , teak wood, it says price is "22030". Is it possible to find the how much cft of wood used ?
vpbs_bak

Post by vpbs_bak »

Is the attached carpenter quote per market rates (higher, per my search in this forum) ? if not, how much extra is this person charging ?

thanks

vpbs
Attachments
Door-Win-Carpenter-Quotation2.jpg
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

Karnataka Forest Department wood products are too expensive, charging at 50% to 60% premium for the same product available in market. I do not think they are passing on benefits to citizens. How authentic the wood can be for that premium price . I am not judging them , but zaroor daal me kaala ...
for Ex 5''x2.5'' 4 x 7 ft Teak wood Door frame is being charged at Rs 11785 + 14.5% VAT = Rs 13494 . This means Per Cuft of burma teak product, Rs 7109 is being collected from buyers.
Details and Justification : This frame contains (2 x4ft + 2 x7ft )* 5/12 ft * 2.5/12 ft = 1.9 Cuft of wood , Assuming 3800 for Burma teak at market prices at = 7220 Rs
Now what is the labour charge + Planing Costs = 30 Rs Per Rft x 22Rft + 500 Planing charges= Rs 1160.
Today you can get same frame made at 8320 Rs or cheaper, what is the necessity to pay 40 % premium for this door frame to Karnataka forest Department.
I am assuming that Karnataka forest Department gets Burma Teak at 3800 per Cuft aka market prices , infact they could be getting at Rs 3000 in bulk and Labour charges are close to nothing if they manufacture at that volume of if they given tender to a 3rd party.
parkom

Post by parkom »

Hi Nivas, I suspect that they have their own employees manufacturing these frames. Given the high employment costs for govt employees and their low productivity, no wonder you would land up with high cost of finished product. That said, they donot have any incentive in passing on flawed wood materials, unlike private manufacturers, the risk of which ofcourse can be mitigated with proper inspection before buying.
All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on....
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

I definitely agree on the fact of low productivity ,but let me explain with few more facts ,Karnataka forest department ,can only allot local 'C' Class timber(only local teak and local honne) for house construction as mentioned in their website. KFSIC is the subsidiary of KFD which is in timberyard mysore road, which does furniture and flush doors and frames, but has only 237 employees with only 1 carpenter on their payroll with their salaries(as listed in their website). In last year, KSFIC may have close to 292 employees with no of carpenters still in single digit(spread across all that is of KFSIC) .
High chances , they are doing the frames\doors \furniture with "imported teak" and honne , through tenders ,granted to players in the market. if you file a RTI , you will find that the tender is granted to lowest bidder , but still price is so high. So I did not choose them for my house construction. Again this my personal thought process.
nabikm

Post by nabikm »

Hi,
The rates quoted above are too high, I bought barma teak and honne last week from Bangalore Timbers Bhanerughatta road at 3600/CFT and 1950/CFT respectively. Plaining and thut charges extra.
For carpenter I paid following charges
Door frames: 18/SFT
Main door frames: 25/SFT ( Didn't understand the logic why he charged more for main door frames).
Window frames: 40/SFT
Hole drilling for window frames: 2 per hole.
Good part is my carpenter made all 13 frames and 7 windows in 4.5 days

Return to “Civil Construction”