Granite selection

Alpha001

Granite selection

Post by Alpha001 »

Hi all,

I have to decide on the granite variety for the floor. As per the agreement with the contractor, i have to decide on a variety which costs 120 Rs/sqft max including VAT. Can the experts here suggest some good varieties in that price range?

Regards,
Vijay
vkalavar

Re: Granite selection

Post by vkalavar »

Vijay,

Even I am looking for some reliable resource to buy granite. My contractor price is 120 Rs/sqft for hall & 65 Rs/sqft for kitchen & bed rooms [Excluding taxes & laying charges]. However I have decided to put same quality across floor by adding difference price.

Last Friday & Saturday I had visited to Jigani with my contractor and I am kind of finalized two colors

Gray White with rare black patches of lines 110 /sqft in Sheetal granite & 105/sqft in another Sheetal showroom from same group :)
Strawberry pink 110/sqft
Brazil pink 110/sqft.
Some gray white with lots of dark small/med patches - 85/sqft.

Few general observations I made by visiting at least 20 shows in 2 days are
1. Avoid Madurai & Rajasthan granites,In these two brands you would get lighter color choices, what I understand is Muduarai granites are having more iron content and will get rust soon. The other one is on softer side.
2. Better to go for Orissa or Andra. you may choose other also except above two.
3. Its difficult to get light colors like cream, white, gray etc within 150/sqft/
4. Some colors which you like might not have required quantity.

Some showroom I liked are

1. Mysore Granites, Mangalam, and two more besides them (These ppl having Madurai, ask them specifically)
2. Sheetal
3. Arora
4. MR Granites (Has only Gangsaw sizes, mostly on dark color)

The tax is 14.5% (they will agree to tax for 50-60% of your overall bill), trasnportation & loading charges are extra.

I am planning to buy in 2 weeks from now, still researching.
Alpha001

Post by Alpha001 »

vkalavar wrote:Vijay,

Even I am looking for some reliable resource to buy granite. My contractor price is 120 Rs/sqft for hall & 65 Rs/sqft for kitchen & bed rooms [Excluding taxes & laying charges]. However I have decided to put same quality across floor by adding difference price.

Last Friday & Saturday I had visited to Jigani with my contractor and I am kind of finalized two colors

Gray White with rare black patches of lines 110 /sqft in Sheetal granite & 105/sqft in another Sheetal showroom from same group :)
Strawberry pink 110/sqft
Brazil pink 110/sqft.
Some gray white with lots of dark small/med patches - 85/sqft.

Few general observations I made by visiting at least 20 shows in 2 days are
1. Avoid Madurai & Rajasthan granites,In these two brands you would get lighter color choices, what I understand is Muduarai granites are having more iron content and will get rust soon. The other one is on softer side.
2. Better to go for Orissa or Andra. you may choose other also except above two.
3. Its difficult to get light colors like cream, white, gray etc within 150/sqft/
4. Some colors which you like might not have required quantity.

Some showroom I liked are

1. Mysore Granites, Mangalam, and two more besides them (These ppl having Madurai, ask them specifically)
2. Sheetal
3. Arora
4. MR Granites (Has only Gangsaw sizes, mostly on dark color)

The tax is 14.5% (they will agree to tax for 50-60% of your overall bill), trasnportation & loading charges are extra.

I am planning to buy in 2 weeks from now, still researching.
Vkalavar,

Thnks for the information. Sent you a PM

I too visited dairy circle last weekend looking for granites in that price range.

I almost finalized two colors: Royal gold and sahara brown. Prices are in the range of Rs. 110-130 exclusive of taxes. I am too planning to visit Jigani this weekend to look for more options.

Hope to finalize soon!

Regards,
Vijay
sun

Post by sun »

I visited Jigani twice in last 2 weeks, visited Sheetal granites too. My architect is suggesting to use "Jaisalmer stone/marble", this has fossilized marks on them and available in different shades of Yellow. Jaisalmer stone is in between marble and granite, the formation is such its not marble and its not granite.

I do need some inputs from people who have explored this option.
vkalavar

Post by vkalavar »

Today I have bought 1000 sqft of granite from Jigani. The sizes were medium size and hence i had buy total 35 slabs. I chose two different varieties one for inside house - Adhunik brown (creamish white with slightest pink color spots) rated 110/sqft and for outside house white colour with slight black strips rated 75/sqft.

The shop was sheet all granites, (opp to some Nandanavana layout arch), I had visited this dealer earlier twice, hence I could negotiate to 90 and 63 respectively. If you need any more details plz ping me.

Couple of things I learnt that, they will give bill only after unload is undone which is my surprise was billed less than 50% of total bill even though I had paid in white money. They give us only invoice on white paper for our reference when we pay the money.
The second thing I sun during loading and unloading damages are expected, at least I have lost 5to 7 sqft as they have damaged 3slabs.
Third thing is you should be very careful while measurement, negotiate the damage to reduce the dimension.
mudude12

Post by mudude12 »

I am actually in the process of finalizing granite for kitchen counter top. I got a quotation from a local vendor at kundanahalli for Rs 225. This is 30 mm black color. Is this a good price ? If not any suggestion for granite vendors near whitefield. I need exactly 143 sqft
crunchy74

Post by crunchy74 »

Generally black granite costs Rs 150+ for 16-19MM.. so Rs 225 for 30 mm is reasonable.
sreekbda

Post by sreekbda »

30 MM JET BLACK Granite also known as CHAMARAJANAGAR black is 180/- per sft. Don't pay a rupee more.
gshelter

Post by gshelter »

Where can we get 30mm jet black for Rs. 180 sft?

We are also looking for various options for countertops and islands.
Not sure about various blacks out there...
BLACK GALAXY - twinkling one - easy to identify
BENGAL BLACK
PREMIUM BLACK
JET BLACK
TELEPHONE BLACK

Now, CHAMARAJANAGAR black

Someone told us that some of the blacks are not available...

Also, has anyone tried SVG? They appears to have best in class polishing machine. May be a good source for countertop and island granite.. All other granites can go cheaper - buying at Jigani shops?

Sree Vishnu Granites & Marbles
+(91)-80-66834511 or their export division:
SVG Exports Private Limited
19, 1st Floor, Doddakallasandra,Kanakapura Main Road,
Bangalore - 560 062, INDIA
Telephone: +91 80 26669817 / 9818 / 9819 / 5752
Fax: +91 80 26665617
Email : stone@svgexports.com or adi@svgexports.com

Thanks,
ausraja

Post by ausraja »

i enquired yesterday for kitchen slabs , he quoted 190 rs/sqft for black slab and 39 rs/sqft for kadapa slab.The cost of kadapa sink was 750 rs and higher depending on the size.

Return to “Civil Construction”