Spacing between Vitrified Tiles

tendlu

Spacing between Vitrified Tiles

Post by tendlu »

For single charged (aka soluble slat) nano vitrified tiles, do we have to provide any spacing between tiles while laying? or these are joint less tiles?

any pros & cons for with & without spacing?
sreekbda

Re: Spacing between Vitrified Tiles

Post by sreekbda »

Spacer is used for 2 reasons as far as i know:
1. Aesthetics: 2 MM spacer when used with rustic and wood finish tiles gives a good look.
2. Water Proofing: Better water proofing and can be used in balcony tiles, terrace tiles, and bathroom floor tiles.This is because when a paper joint is made instead of using a spacer, there could be slight gaps between tiles.

My tile layer is saying he need 18/- per sft for laying tiles with spacer and 15/- sft without spacer. Not sure whether this 3 rupee difference is realistic or too much. Anybody with knowledge please share your thoughts.
tendlu

Post by tendlu »

thanks sreekbda.

does it mean for internal tiles that is not rustic or wood you don't need a spacer?
tendlu

Post by tendlu »

what is the recommended minimum SPACER width between tiles if it is being done only for technical reasons and not for aesthetics?
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

I was also researching about the spacing of tiles for my construction, most articles on net suggest tile grout line of at least 1/8th inch(3mm) ,anything less than that would greatly depend on the tile dimension accuracy. you can pick up few tiles and arrange it with the PVC spacers and check what pleases your eyes. Grout line is necessary from technical angle, but I have not seen any strict definition of it.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi ,
Tile spacer is nothing to do with quality of tile you use.Its basically used for purpose of proper laying and give a neat look .
Any tile brand claims to be paper joint is not actually paper joint.It give very uneven thin line that is filled with white cement ,that stays for some time and later give away.
A 3 mm spacer gives a very neat look ,it should be filled with either Cementitious Grouts or epoxy grout.Epoxy grouts are stain proof /water proof and very strong.
Spacer can be used for all tiles but its available only in matt/rough/wax type finish only .So when used with glossy tiles there is a clear difference in the finishing.

Regards
Ar.praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
www.ardesarchitects.com
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
viksat82

Post by viksat82 »

Dear Praveen,
Is 3mm gaping suggested for bathroom utility etc both floor and wall?
And paper joint for living room, bed room etc. Please suggest.
ardesarchitects

Hi , Viksat
3mm Spacer can be used for walls and floor in toilets, utility. Paper joint is recommended if the tiles are A- grade with no variations in sizes ( In general 1 or 2 mm difference will happen depending on the grade ).

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
www.ardesarchitects.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardes.architects
viksat82

Post by viksat82 »

That means,
Go only for A grade for non water application area
and go for paper joint.
In worst case if there is variation in sizes or tile is not A grade, even for living room go with 3 mm gap and go for grouting?
ardesarchitects

HI Vikast82
Yes my personal choice is always 3mm gap and epoxy grout for any space. I generally prefer satin or Matt finish tiles since they look fresh and scratch resistant compared to glossy finish.

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardes.architects
Attachments
03-03.jpg
02-02.jpg
01-01.jpg

Return to “Civil Construction”