Adv/Disadv step construction

jackalbda

Adv/Disadv step construction

Post by jackalbda »

Hello All,

Recently I heard of "step construction" method . What I understood from this is , a portion of built area will be in the basement ( partially under ground) and the first floor will be a bit above the ground level (not as tall as the normal house's first floor). I just wanted to know a couple of things about this..

1. What is the way out for water , if it got clogged in the basement car park?

2. The site being a 30 X 40 , where exactly will the sump ( for water storage) be placed in this case?

Any advantage/disadvantage in doing these type of construction ?
blrsiteseeker

Re: Adv/Disadv step construction

Post by blrsiteseeker »

Ok, this is also referred to as split level. If there is proper ventilation in the lower level (basement portion), then it is ok, otherwise you will have issues with pests/bugs (bangalore being in the tropical area, as it is there are issues with roaches).

After all the storms and the flooding in the recent years, you should think twice about having living space below ground level. here in NJ, there are homes flooded to several feet (after a few days of heavy rain) and the basements were provided with sump pumps etc. - but the ground being so saturated, there is no way out, but for the water to enter the home.

if it is only car parking, then you may be ok, but having living space with furniture etc. is a risky option.

Recently I heard of "step construction" method . What I understood from this is , a portion of built area will be in the basement ( partially under ground) and the first floor will be a bit above the ground level (not as tall as the normal house's first floor). I just wanted to know a couple of things about this..

1. What is the way out for water , if it got clogged in the basement car park?

2. The site being a 30 X 40 , where exactly will the sump ( for water storage) be placed in this case?

Any advantage/disadvantage in doing these type of construction ?
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

having living space below road level is always risky.unless you take proper care like rainwater sump never go for it.knowing the public drains efficiency to handle the above normal conditions .one way is to plan living space with access from inside the house alone and keep all the other entry points closed.never give access from parking to living spaces in basement. Praveen.n- Ardes architects and interior designers.
Hari

Post by Hari »

My understanding is if your site is small then preference is to go for split level. I have met some architects recently and have seen that most of them will prefer to have only the car parking below ground level by few feets to get more available space. For car parking area you need not have good ventilation and even if water logs in you don;t have to worry :) So you will have

Below ground levels or have basement Car parking
Ground level : Bed room, Kitchen , Bathroom, Puja
Above car parking : Living room.

The level difference betweem the gnd level and above car parking will be only 3-4 feets so you will see an elevated living room which looks pretty decent.

The drawback is your cost will be high for this kind of construction as you will end up paying more amount for construction your basement car parking.

Regards
Hari Krishnan
MNRS

Post by MNRS »

Hi Hari

If you have any elevation, floor plan pics, can you please share with us ?

Return to “Civil Construction”