Parking Tiles or Concrete

jateenrm

Parking Tiles or Concrete

Post by jateenrm »

Hi,

I am consulting with my Contractor regarding Parking Tiles for Stilt Parking ~1200 Sqft. I have two queries

i) Is Parking Tiles better or Concrete with Lines?
ii) If Parking Tiles, whether I to use Concrete Tiles (Rs30 Sqft) or Vetrified Parking Tiles (Rs40 Sqft)?

What would be a approximate cost for laying the same assuming we also will need to lay a layer of concrete before we flatten the parking surface?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jateen M
mudude12

Re: Parking Tiles or Concrete

Post by mudude12 »

My experience in the past with tiles for parking has been bad. Parking is always dirty and the tiles make the place look even more ugly. May be the tiles i chose had rough surface but that was intentional as vehicles need grip. If i had to do it again, i would go for just cement finishing with lines.
Chida_gs

Post by Chida_gs »

Hi,

Please go with Concrete with Lines (Design & anti skid purpose),

Usually for Tiled Parking lot will create lot of issues

1) Tiles will break if any heavy items are dropped
2) Rats will pull the sand below the Tiles & makes the space hollow which will break once the Vehicle rolls over that
3) Repairing needs a proffessional worker
4) Dust/Sands will accumulate over the Tiles grooves which is difficult to clean & needs a lot of effort (Man & Water)
5) Under the Tiles it is the place for insects/Rats/Frogs even sometimes if the House has nearby a lot of vacant sites, it is place for snakes also.

Only advantage is Great Look, easy to replace the slabs if damaged
sreekbda

Post by sreekbda »

I prefer parking tiles (interlocking pavement tiles). They are aesthetic, affordable and durable.

Read more:

http://www.hindu.com/pp/2007/04/21/stor ... 890400.htm

I got a quote of 40 rupees per sft for 2 inch tiles. Includes tiles and laying. Only thing we need to supply is sand.

Sand need not be good quality one. Filter sand or quarry powder will do.

Anyone knows where we get good quality pavement tiles?
sreekbda

Post by sreekbda »

anirusan

Post by anirusan »

I would definitely not go with tiles for the reasons already mentioned above. I went in for a mix of concrete and stone and the rest is natural earth where I have some green lawn. One can arrange stones in the path of a 4 wheeler tire and make the surrounding spaces with lawn. This might become wet and dirty in rains but gives a pleasant look in other seasons.
rajeshkp

Post by rajeshkp »

Go for Cement and lines. Parking tiles (especially terracotta red) looks dirty.
rkrishna

Post by rkrishna »

We went for parking tiles. I agree with the views expressed here that it looks good but needs constant maintenance. We clean it everyday morning but it gets dirty again when we take the car out and park it back. If I were to do all over again, would look at alternate options such as stone.

That said, parking tiles allow one to treat parking area as an extension to home space for walking, kids play area etc as it would not be as dirty as natural earth.
Simran

Post by Simran »

What is the best alternative for parking tile? Is ceramic terracota tiles good when compared to vitrified? Is there any stone with rough finish (like granite)that can be laid in parking?
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi
Parking tiles are always in cement based ,using vitrified is not at all recommended since they can break very soon. Rough surface is difficult to maintain but at the same time you cannot have cement floor right in front of your main door or the entry .You can choose the parking tiles with min roughness rather than going for typical button type.Using car jet washer is recommended to clean the parking tiles.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardes.architects

Return to “Civil Construction”