Need reviews about Padauk wood

sunilmpatil

Need reviews about Padauk wood

Post by sunilmpatil »

Hi Everyone,

As the rate of teak is increasing exponentially, I am planning to go for Padauk wood as an alternative.
When I enquired, I gotta know the price range is around 2.3k to 2.5k per cft, whereas teak price(Burma) is around 4.5k to 5.
Also I am keeping an option to use teak for main door and pooja door and use padauk for rest of doors and windows.
Anyone have experience using Padauk? How is padauk in terms of looks, strength, durability and price ?
meharnath

Re: Need reviews about Padauk wood

Post by meharnath »

Hi,

Padauk wood is an excellant, strong, dark and well polish taking wood. It is also called as south african teak.
In initial days it looks reddish brown after polish and due to seasoning it is more or less rose wood. Excellant to look at.

I have some new pannelled padauk doors which were supposed to be used for one residence. See if you want to have an inspection and buy. It is fully seasoned and pannelled.
reply your email id and i will give you the list of wood available.

mehar
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

Excellent wood , wood will be Bright orange red color if polished without staining ,Eye sore rather, it may take year(depends on exposure to sunlight) for the color to mellow.
gsNagesh

Post by gsNagesh »

Whats the price/cft for padauk?
sunilmpatil

Post by sunilmpatil »

Thanks Meharnath and Nivas for the suggestions.

The wood is saffron color in the beginning, as it gets seasoned, it turns burgundy color, after some years to rose wood color. Good quality is good.

You can go for this wood if you like to polish, instead of paint, as the former brings rich look. Better than honne or ghana teak wood any day.

Hi gsNagesh,

Price/cft is around 2400-2600, if you purchase logs.

But I heard that the export of this wood from Africa is stopped now(Dont know how far its true). Only an enquiry will clear the doubts.
msananthu

Post by msananthu »

Meharnath .

If you still have the new pannelled padauk doors, please ping me on msananthu@gmail.com with all the wood you still have.

Thanks
Anantha

Return to “Civil Construction”