Earth Filling

pomski

Earth Filling

Post by pomski »

Dear group members,

I'm planning to start my house construction from next week. Our site is low lying and the soil is clayey. So I wanted to know from any of you if you had faced a situation where the site was low lying and soil quality was clayey and how did you deal with it?

I would like to know the cost of bringing external earth to fill the site once the footing and plinth beam is complete to bring it to the road level. Ours is a 1500 sft site and 3 feet of filling is required. In addition to that, the footing excavations will be around 2500 Cubic Feet. So total of around 4500 + 2500 = 7000 Cubic Feet is required.

Out of this, is it a good idea to use the excavated earth for filling it partially or to use the external earth completely?

Thanks in advance.
mcneha

Re: Earth Filling

Post by mcneha »

Hi!

Foundation in clay needs special care. Best way is to take your structural engineer personally to the site.

Regards.
CHANDRASEKAR
sk1976

Post by sk1976 »

It is better to consult a good Structural Engineer so that he can advice you correctly by checking soil condition. Even the depth of columns have to be decided based on soil condition. No compromises on this. I also had low lying site, but the earth was not clay soil. And had to refill quite lot of new soil brought from outside. My contractor used to bring good soil in tractor and he said it was costing him around 1500 per tractor load. It was almost 2 years now. So you have to check the prices now. Make sure they don't bring soil mixed with debris.
sreekbda

Post by sreekbda »

Footing excavation doesn't need soil from outside. You can use the same soil. Also when you dig foundation for SSM some mud will be left over. So you might need just 4000 to 4500 CFT of mud.

Look around your construction site and you might see some excavation going on and if you are lucky they may be happy to find a nearby site to dump their excess mud. If you don't find a such a site nearby then you can get mud for around 500/- per load.
mudude12

Post by mudude12 »

Yes, try to find another construction site nearby. I paid Rs 700 per tractor load to take away good soil from my site. I am sure they would sold it and made good profits.
baruc2003

Post by baruc2003 »

If you need soil and site is near hennur cross then feel free to take it from me. I have a lot left over.
Thanks,
Bharath
nspaced

Post by nspaced »

I have 4 tractor loads of soil left after completing excavation work at my site.
My site location in Kumaraswamy layout(Near Banashankari). You can call me at 09963371892 for picking up the soil.

Return to “Civil Construction”