Anyone constructed using stabilized mud block

rajeevanand

Anyone constructed using stabilized mud block

Post by rajeevanand »

Has anyone constructed a house using stabilised mud block (load bearing walls).

From what I have heard, we can save around 25% cost from conventional buildings by reducing the use of steel and cement and avoiding plastering.

Please let me know if anyone had good experience. I'm considering this option.
Solar / Water / Organic gardening
girishd

Re: Anyone constructed using stabilized mud block

Post by girishd »

Definitely cost advantage is there with SMB construction.

My structural Engineer is from a firm which specializes in SMB construction. If you want I can provide contact.

We have used vertically perforated load bearing bricks and stones for construction. we have followed the same principles - load bearing walls and no columns. Can work upto 3 floors
rajeevanand

Post by rajeevanand »

Thanks Girish. Please forward me contact details. If you don't mind, can you also share some pictures to get an idea about the appearance or you may PM me your location and contact. If it is close to travel, Ican speak to you and come for a look.
Solar / Water / Organic gardening
raghusku99

Post by raghusku99 »

Hii you said 3 floors does it mean g+3 , as my house is also a load bearing wall construction system. Presently it is g+1 I want to go for another construction but people are giving mixed opinions so I am bit confused. Does this is less in weight, does the brick have the comprehensive strength. Please share the nu. Of your eengineer it might be very helpfull
girishd

Post by girishd »

@rajeev,

You can contact Harish - 8762162359 or Pramod 09986510969. They have done structural design for my project.

Prof. Yogananda is a pretty famous name in SMB technology development.
Here is their facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/MrinmayeeGramavidya

@raghu,

If your current house is built with stones or 9" thick brick masonry, it should be no big deal to construct one more floor. You can contact the above folks for structural consultation.

The perforated load bearing brick can be definitely used in your case. Just need to make sure that it gels with the look of your current construction
girishd

Post by girishd »

@rajeev,
Attached couple of pictures of elevation of my house under construction.
Attachments
IMG_20141003_090950.jpg
IMG_20141003_090855.jpg
tara_m

Post by tara_m »

Awesome :-)..
anjanabheri

Post by anjanabheri »

Hi Girish. Looks very nice. Great to know that you are constructing with SMB. Even I am planning. Thanks for providing the contacts. I am enrolling for their training program in December.

Please update with your construction progress. It will inspire and help many of us.

Thanks,
Anjan
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
I know these guys Mrinmayee Gramavidya, we dealt with them for some of our social community works. These guys are really helpful to share knowledge and help out in using technology including training the labors at our site.
My personal take on this alternate technology is to use them in a composite way with modern technology so that you don't need to compromise in your planning or services .
SMB construction is not just feasible at every site unless the soil in your site is suitable for making bricks, other wise buying these SMB is no difference from regular bricks .
So anyone interested in going with SMB methods should first get the soil tested with them and then decide with methodology .

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Desingers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
girishd

Post by girishd »

@anjanabheri,

Actually my structural engineer happens to be from firm with SMB constructions but in our construction site we used combination of stone, perforated clay blocks and cement blocks as our architect had designed.

Return to “Civil Construction”