Suggestion & opinion: Prior to starting construction

riturajmnit

Suggestion & opinion: Prior to starting construction

Post by riturajmnit »

Hi folks,

I am hoping to get my house construction started by end of this month.
As I am new to this, I am starting this thread to keep updates and to seek your opinion and suggestion:

Plot Size: 1680 (40*42)
Construction Area: 2400 sqft + 300 sqft Balcony + 380 sqft Parking
Budget: 42 Lakhs

Now coming over to process (Not yet finalized):
I have hired a team of Architect and COntractor:

Role of Architect:
1> All design (Pretty happy with what he has done with plan)
2> Structural Supervision (20 Visits)
3> Generation of BOQ (Estimate of items to be used)
4> Quality Control
5> Design suggestion and procurement help (Skylight, Staircase, PVC Window)

He is charging Rs.100/psft for his service:

Contractor:
1> Work will be on BOQ (Bill of quantity)
2> Timeline: 6 months

Baseline of Material:
1> Cement : 53 grade (Possibly Ultratech, not finalized) ... Please suggest
2> Sand: Trichy
3> Bricks: Red Brick (Block bricks for boundary and stairs)
4> Indoor stairs (Teak wood or Wood finish Tiles)
5> Skylight of 242 sqft
6> All windows PVC
7> Main door - Teak
8> Other Doors - Sal wood
9> Floor: Master BR and Gym in Wooden flooring and rest with Virtified Tiles (Rs 120 psft)
10> Bathroom: Wall tiles (60 Rs), Floor Tiles (60 Rs), Fittings (25000 per bathroom)

Now my doubts:

1> I am not really sure how BOQ works, has anyone gone for BOQ based work ?
2> Any suggestion on where cost cutting can be done without compromising on quality.

I will get BOQ tomorrow and over the week I have to decide, if i will go with them.

Regards
venkyn

Re: Suggestion & opinion: Prior to starting construction

Post by venkyn »

Hi RituRaj,

Since you have hired contractor and BOQ

- I am not sure if there is a clause which mentions any material greater then X amount due
to market flucation will be borne by owner, if there is then use method of Average instead
of single time flu cation cost.

- Instead of Sal wood, mention White Sal which is better than Red Sal.

- Supervision:
Since you are having 20 Visit. Do ask what activites will be done during these visit.
Some hints.
- Ensure Mixing of concrete ration perfect during SLAB, plinth, beam work,
- Cement Mixing should be perfect because Column should be like rock, so manual mixing of column should be ensure .cement, sand , jelli (ratio) is under supervision.
- Bar Bending analysis at every phase.

Hope your architect and contractor are known to each other.

Do post your experience with contractor and Architect.

Regards,
Venky
riturajmnit

Post by riturajmnit »

Thanks Venky.
Yes Architect and Contractor are known to each other, my only worry was they have worked together on apartments in past and this might be first of a residential project.
What all clause i should be looking at in contract ?
satyagupta1603

Post by satyagupta1603 »

Hi RituRaj,

Where is your Site located ?? I also purchased 1727 sft site at Kasturi Nagar Extention almost similar size ( NE corner bit with 41x40 dimensions and rest is odd dimension).Can you please share your floor plan .

Thanks ,

-Gupta Kolluru
girishd

Post by girishd »

Rituraj,

Good points mentioned by Venkyn.

A few from my side too:
1. There's a difference between how apartments are constructed and houses are. I have seen a 20 unit apartment constructed next to my site for past one year and I have pretty negative opinion about them. Specifically there's an attitude to do things fast and move to next step without worrying much about following rules. Simple examples:
Missing plinth beam - In my opinion that's an unacceptable because they have compromised on structural integrity of the building
Not much curing - even for columns or roofs. They had target of exactly 10-15 days to get to next roof
Workmanship - specifically in plastering. They contracted someone who was doing it a throwaway rate. They used to do work almost 2X faster than our contractor ones. My contractor said. that the way they did the work, I shouldn't be surprised to see cracks in less than 1-2 years
2. It would be better to get drawings from architect and use that team as consultant. Architect is charging almost 5-6% assuming your project cost is around 1700-1800 persft for finishing. That's generally what others do too but they must not have this restriction on number of drawings and visits. At this cost Architect should give all drawings including interiors... There are cheaper options if you can do something like take initial drawings/plan from architect and do rest your self by hiring a contractor and civil consultant if required. This would require lot of effort from you though.
3. Get quotes from others too and compare. This would help in gauging the pricing that is quoted.
4. There are several choices that will balloon the cost of construction towards the end. For example Gang saw granites cost you 200+ and reasonably good vitrified tiles cost 70-85. So difference in cost is very big based on what you choose. So make your choices first and get exact cost estimate for your choices. More importantly STICK to your choices. I am guilty of not doing this too but for the most part I was disciplined not to deviate too much from initial choices.
5. Construction initially seems too overwhelming at first. Just ask all the questions you want to and get the answers. After all this is not rocket science. Believe me, there is no substitute for your hard work if you want house to come out the way you imagined.
6. Use the forum and archives. The amount of discussion here is wonderful source of information and members here are pretty helpful to answer queries.

I had a bad experience with my first contractor who screwed up badly - bought filter sand which I didn't know initially what it meant. I had to lose almost 10% of my project cost and my project cost is pretty big - 6300sft size house. I bit the bullet and re-started with a new contractor who is pretty low profile but does pretty good job and more importantly, is honest.
girishd

Post by girishd »

Rituraj,

Good points mentioned by Venkyn.

A few from my side too:
1. There's a difference between how apartments are constructed and houses are. I have seen a 20 unit apartment constructed next to my site for past one year and I have pretty negative opinion about them. Specifically there's an attitude to do things fast and move to next step without worrying much about following rules. Simple examples:
Missing plinth beam - In my opinion that's an unacceptable because they have compromised on structural integrity of the building
Not much curing - even for columns or roofs. They had target of exactly 10-15 days to get to next roof
Workmanship - specifically in plastering. They contracted someone who was doing it a throwaway rate. They used to do work almost 2X faster than our contractor ones. My contractor said. that the way they did the work, I shouldn't be surprised to see cracks in less than 1-2 years
2. It would be better to get drawings from architect and use that team as consultant. Architect is charging almost 5-6% assuming your project cost is around 1700-1800 persft for finishing. That's generally what others do too but they must not have this restriction on number of drawings and visits. At this cost Architect should give all drawings including interiors... There are cheaper options if you can do something like take initial drawings/plan from architect and do rest your self by hiring a contractor and civil consultant if required. This would require lot of effort from you though.
3. Get quotes from others too and compare. This would help in gauging the pricing that is quoted.
4. There are several choices that will balloon the cost of construction towards the end. For example Gang saw granites cost you 200+ and reasonably good vitrified tiles cost 70-85. So difference in cost is very big based on what you choose. So make your choices first and get exact cost estimate for your choices. More importantly STICK to your choices. I am guilty of not doing this too but for the most part I was disciplined not to deviate too much from initial choices.
5. Construction initially seems too overwhelming at first. Just ask all the questions you want to and get the answers. After all this is not rocket science. Believe me, there is no substitute for your hard work if you want house to come out the way you imagined.
6. Use the forum and archives. The amount of discussion here is wonderful source of information and members here are pretty helpful to answer queries.

I had a bad experience with my first contractor who screwed up badly - bought filter sand which I didn't know initially what it meant. I had to lose almost 10% of my project cost and my project cost is pretty big - 6300sft size house. I bit the bullet and re-started with a new contractor who is pretty low profile but does pretty good job and more importantly, is honest.
riturajmnit

Post by riturajmnit »

girishd wrote:Rituraj,

Hi Girish/Venky,

Thanks a lot for taking time out and sharing your expert advice, it helps and means a lot.
I had 90% finalized my requirement and hence went for a quotation.

Though the quote which i received today looks really exhorbitant, its roughly 53 lakhs.
I am no expert to understand and comment on that, I shall have a long and breakup discussion with vendor tomorrow.

If possible please go through BOQ shared here and share your opinion.
I will start looking for multiple quote from different vendors.

Girish,

Great to know that you could find an honest vendor. If possible please share his contact so that i can try if he can take up this project.

Cheers !!
Attachments
RITURAJ PROJECT.xls
(212.5 KiB) Downloaded 1116 times
girishd

Post by girishd »

Sent PM with info. Please check.
riturajmnit

Post by riturajmnit »

Thanks Girish, I spoke to concerned person and will be visiting today around 11:30-12:00.
If possible please share your contact in PM.

Regards
venkyn

Post by venkyn »

Hi Rituraj,

Got free after first floor roofing. There are many small pointI hope you have observed it.

- Fabrication work is not included, the gate, etc.
- No Teak door so all the door frames will be UPVC? It should not be a surprise.
- Insist for Brand name cement, most of us use Birla super for constructing and Ultratech 43 grade cement.
- Again Brand name for steel, Jsw is next to Tata and Sail. Indus and Sunveek both are same, I guess we pay more for Indus steel because of taxes involved coming from TN (Hosur) to KN (Karnataka)
- If you were going for wood windows, Hex Rods are best as window rods.
- Glass for windows,
- Extra elevation.

More detailing me required.

Do try to find the local Contractor who is near to your plot. When the contractor is very far or the laborers travel a lot the impact will be seen on your budget and quality.

one more point regarding raw material prices, the raw material prices are different from place to place in bangalore is due to transportation and lot of corrupt officials. So, contractor will not be to source Sand, Rock Aggregates, SizeStones, bricks at cheaper rates, it will be usually 2 to 4K more.

Regards,
Venky

Return to “Civil Construction”