Help required regarding Borewell issue

alpssolomon

Help required regarding Borewell issue

Post by alpssolomon »

Hello All,
I have a borewell that is dug 264 feet in depth. The yield was a total of 3.1/2 inches water from two sources. At 200 feet, the immersible pump was placed. The casing pipe is at 75 feet. There were no issues for the past 13 years. Recently, my neighbouring site owner dug a new borewell for more than 600 feet on his vacant site. As a result, my pump stopped working. On camera scanning, it was observed that the water level is at around 60 feet depth and there were 2 or 3 stones at around 80 feet depth that is blocking the borewell. For your information, there is one water source at around 80 feet for 2 inches. We somehow managed to pull the pump out along with the cable and the hose tube intact without breakage. I am in the process to ascertain if the pump is in working condition or not. Meanwhile, we observed that there is still blockage at around 80/90 feet depth when we tried to insert the hose pipe as a result the pipe is not further able to go inside.
Unfortunately the space around the borewell is around 1 feet only. I can mail you the pics if required. I dont know what to do. I request if anyone can advice me on this. I shall be grateful to them.
Many Thanks & Kind Regards
Solomon
Nivas

Re: Help required regarding Borewell issue

Post by Nivas »

13 years !!, I think its time to service your Motor. Bearings could have taken a beating. By checking the play\wobble of shaft and vibration the qualified technician can verify this. you can lower the pump into a sump and check whether its pumping. Pumps health can be ascertained on ground itself.

Attempt to remove the blockage the below way , since you have very small place to maneuver.
They tie a pointed heavy Iron to a rope and try to hammer it down. Usually the camera person would know someone who would do this for a fee. Or if you are DIY person , pick up a soild steel rod of around 10 to 15 kg from scrap, get the hole drilled and purchase a rope(plastic ropes are available ). Scrap rod would cost you around 50 per kg and heavy rope would cost you around 60 per mtr. Total cost of the Gear will be less than 3000 Rs.
alpssolomon

Post by alpssolomon »

Dear Nivas,
Thank you for your reply. By the looks for it, it appears that the Motor is a 'No-Go'. But still i will have it checked once.

Regarding the bore well, I went for the weighted hammering type, they tried doing it by tying a very heavy rod weighing about 80 kilos pulled by a steel wire attached to a spinning wheel on a stationary vehicle. After some initial movement, the stone is not moving down. There appears to be fragments of stones collecting on the stone bed after every hammering and as a result the pounding did not help. They are of the opinion that the fragments from the wall seems to be falling on the stone bed thereby increasing its layers. They gave up ultimately. They suggested to go for Robo flushing. I asked them to try to see if it can be done even at the cost of breaking a part of my compound wall. I am keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that they would be able to do it considering the space constraints.

Meanwhile, I welcome any ideas from Nivas and any group members.

Many Thanks & Regards
tvsh

Post by tvsh »

I had a similar issue in our farm. Not wanting to give up on a good borewell, I went with the pounding first, then got the borewell redrilled. The redrilling helped and I could have the motor installed and it worked fine till the motor went bust. The voltage at our farm varies a lot resulting in frequent borewell motor winding failures. I had an issue of getting the motor out. With great effort and difficulty, I had the motor taken out and tried re-bore again. The result was the same. So finally I abandoned the bore and got a new borewell drilled.
alpssolomon

Post by alpssolomon »

Dear tvsh,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately for me, re-boring is not an option since the house is already constructed. The space would be a great constraint. I am hoping for some alternate solution.
abacusv

Post by abacusv »

@alpssolomon, did you get your borewell block removed? How did you get it removed? I have a borwell which started showing low pressure issue.
Its a bom to even test whats wrong. I have a similar space constraint as yours but not 1ft though, but a reboring or any heavy machinary getting close to the borewell. I'm curious to know how you got it resolved?
nharish

Suggestion required on Below Borewell issue Question

Post by nharish »

Hi,

My Name is Harish. Recently I have drilled a borewell for residential use up to 1271 Feet. After drilling the borewell we left for 30 days and did camera scanning to check for water sources. We found one water source at 150 Feet (Water was flowing) and one empty source at 300 Feet (No Water). Water storage was at 700 Feet. Camera scanning guy left the camera inside the water and told us that there are more water source inside you will be able to extact water 1" inch or 1.5" inch of water hence we brought 7.5 HP pump (75 stages) with 1" inch HDPE pipe and fixed the motor at 1210 Feet. First day water flowed for about 3 hours and stopped however next day we got only for 45 mins, we waited for hour and started the motor again and we got water for 15 mins hence we calculated the time for 45 mins and every three hours we are getting 45 mins of water close 3000 liters in a day we might be able to extract 24000 liters of water which is not sufficient for the 22 houses apartment which we are planning to construction hence after extracting water for 45 mins on one day we did the camera scanning again found one water source at 917 feet however as motor was fixed at 1210 feet there was storage of water below motor and camera scanning guy left camera inside and told us there is one more source inside water at 1220 feet lower the motor up to 1250 you will be able to extract more water. One of the experience villager who have drilled close 20 borewell suggested to change the mouth of the outflow from 1" inch to 0.5"inch you will get water continuously. We did that and now water is flowing out only 0.5"inch and rest remained in the pipe. From this we are getting water in full force for 1 hour and force of the water gets reduced. I check the AMP and voltage consummation. Initial one hour it will be 10 AMP and voltage will be around 380-400v after one hour it will come down to 6 AMP and voltage will be around 220-240v. I am using Texmo motor and L&T starter.

My question - will this effect my motor life? will this damage my pipe? do I have to lower the motor to 1250 feet as suggested by camera scanning guy?

Any suggestion are welcome

Thanks
Harish N
tvsh

Post by tvsh »

The static water level is at 700 feet, hence you see water at 700 feet when there is no draw down. So lowering to 1250 in my opinion is not going to help. as the water from the gap at 1250 will also usually raise to 700 feet to maintain water level. The yeild from your borewell is quite low, hence pumping it with 7.5 HP pump is pulling all the water much before it can be replenished. You can change to motor to 5 hp to draw the water continuously or use the existing pump for 45 minutes wait for an hour and then draw for 45 minutes. If you use borewell recharge techniques ( you can look at youtube, you will find many),and redirect the water from the 22 apartments, you might be able to increase the yeild of the borewell.
nharish

Post by nharish »

Thanks tvsh. I will implement all your suggestion.. my query about changing mouth(tap) of the outflow from 1" inch to 0.5" inch will it effect the pump life? Will it damage my HDPE pipe? Any inputs or suggestions....
tvsh

Post by tvsh »

With submersible borewell pumps, the water flows through the motor, hence cools the motor. What is the current rating of the motor? 10 A is probably well below the full load rating of the motor, hence should not affect the motor. If the pumps runs without water for a long time, then it might affect the motor as there is no effective cooling of the pump.

Return to “Civil Construction”