Roof Muddy - Waterproof the Terrace

to_manish_11

Roof Muddy - Waterproof the Terrace

Post by to_manish_11 »

What is the most efficient way to put roof muddy or make the terrace water proof?

I have constructed ground floor of my house now and planning to shift but planning to construct 2 more floors after a year. So the muddy goes waste after a year.

Please suggest what I can do in this situation?

regards,
Manish
Nivas

Re: Roof Muddy - Waterproof the Terrace

Post by Nivas »

concrete screed (roof muddy) and water proofing can be combined or can be separate(more reliable) ,but screed is necessary to create slope to avoid water ponding and divert water towards water drains. the cost can be brought down by using msand and using broken bricks \ blocks at its thickest section. damaged and broken aac and cement blocks are available. cement additives drfixit lw+ , conplast xr421 are quite economical.
Simran

Post by Simran »

Nivas,
What is the correct ratio when mixing Lw+ and cement for roof muddy? Can we add floor colors to this mixture? Will it last due to direct exposure to sun and rain?

Can we mix the lw+ for waterproofing the bathrooms while laying tiles? Or is it really necessary to go for professional waterproofing services for bathrooms?
to_manish_11

Post by to_manish_11 »

Nivas wrote:concrete screed (roof muddy) and water proofing can be combined or can be separate(more reliable) ,but screed is necessary to create slope to avoid water ponding and divert water towards water drains. the cost can be brought down by using msand and using broken bricks \ blocks at its thickest section. damaged and broken aac and cement blocks are available. cement additives drfixit lw+ , conplast xr421 are quite economical.
Thanks Nivas. I really appreciate your suggestions. It is very comforting to crosscheck these things with somebody who has the experience.
My mason today is doing the same thing.
First he is putting the LW+ mixed with water on the floor and throwing dry cement on top of it.
Then he is putting the sand/cement mix.
At places where height is mor e he is putting jelly/Kuppy .
He is putting a sloping concrete for the waterflow.
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

Your mason thinks LW+ works like some kind of paint , thats why he is adding in cement slurry before the screed. LW+ is ineffective if applied such way, infact applied this way it decreases the bonding.LW+ are of lignosulphonate class , they need to be added to water and mixed into concrete\screed . It works like a plastisizer, The water proofing is provided by breaking the capillary action inside concrete , does not act as as porosity filler like paint .

if one needs to apply waterproofing beneath the screed , Latex materials (SBR ,URP ) mixed with cement and water ,will work as a better bonding agent and porosity filler. and also the crystalline mixes (Like Brushbond TGP) will plug cracks and pores. latter two are prescribed to be applied beneath the screed.

Asian Paint Damp Proof , Dulux tile Weather shield ,Dr fixit Newcoat are water proof paints that can be pigmented and painted on surface .Some of these contain chopped glass fiber . Nano Glass spheres can be added to above paints where it becomes , thermal shield paint. Such ready mixes are commercially available.

Return to “Civil Construction”