which steel to use

princeap

which steel to use

Post by princeap »

Hi all,

I want to know which steel is the best for house construction?
And how much thickness we should chose for each work like footing, column, roof etc?
I heard that the TATA Tiscon is good but price is high.

Please share your knowledge and experience.

Thanks in advance,
Prince
karjagir

Re: which steel to use

Post by karjagir »

Hi Prince,

The thickness will be given to you by your contractor/barbender depending of the purpose for which it is required. Tata Tiscon or JSW are generally considered to be good. JSW is cheaper that TISCON. I think steel prices have dropped considerably and TISCON should be relatively cheaper. When I started construction in May 2015, TISCON was almost 49K per tonne

I have used JSW for my house construction

Karthik
kumarraja

Post by kumarraja »

Tata is good. Do not compromise on the backbone of your building which is made up of TMT steel.
Low quality steel may even have ISI mark, after passing physical test. This kind of test is not sufficient.
Go for chemical test qualified steel like TATA.
pradeep1008

Post by pradeep1008 »

Hi All,

There are different grades in TMT steel. Right now, FE-500 and FE-550 are currently available in the market. There are only a few manufactures of 550 grade steel. In Fe-500, 500 stands for the tensile strength. A TMT bar that more than 500 Mpa is graded as 500.

As the strength of the steel grows higher, it becomes difficult to bend the TMT bar (this property is called Ductility) as per one's need and the bar may break if not handled properly. To address this issue without having any effect on strength, by alterting compositions in steel, Ductility is achieved. So came the FE-500D where D stands for Ductility and 500 stands for the strength. Similarly for FE-550 , there should be a FE-550D bar available. However the number of manufacturers are less.So i suggest to go for 500D than going for higher strengths like 550,600 etc. I've come accross one good article on the problems of using high grade steel.Here is the link

http://www.engineeringcivil.com/problem ... tions.html

Having said so, i've collected information on the company's that manufacture these 500D TMT bars. I've seen 5 manufacturers that make 500D bars. I've taken the physical and chemical properties of TMT bars and perpared an excel sheet.I've concentrated more on 500D than normal 500 spec.I've uploaded the document. Any one can add if they get physical and chemical properties of TMT bars. I've made 2 sheets to compare, one for normal 500 and the other for 500D.

So while selecting a TMT steel bar, not only the physical property like strength,bending be looked at but also the durability, resistance to corrosion should be looked. Impurities in TMT steel bar ( mainly sulphur, phosphorus,carbon,carbon equilvalent ) should be looked at. These impurities cause rust and reduce the strength of the steel bar as age of the TMT bar goes on.

Regards
pradeep
Attachments
TMT_steel_Comparison.xlsx
physical and chemical property comparison of TMT bars
(10.08 KiB) Downloaded 924 times
kumarraja

Post by kumarraja »

Selection of steel should be based on its properties, and not on advertisement hoardings. There are steel rods made from recycled metal or iron ore. Ore contains better purity and lesser chemical impurity. Most steel companies put the ISI mark to sell steel, this kind of steel might not have passed chemical test. So make sure the steel has passed physical and chemical test.
amrutg

Post by amrutg »

Hi Can i use A-one for 8mm and rest of the size off JSW brand?
swamy_blr

Post by swamy_blr »

Hi Amrut,

Not sure What made you to take this decision ? 8 mm in A-one Brand and Rest in JSW brand.
Don't know the volume you required for 8mm steel (No of Bundles or Kgs), 8mm steel is mainly used for Stripes.

At present the JSW NEO is 44500 Per ton with Bill (5% VAT), and Aone cost you 38000 Per ton.
Please go with single brand for Footings, Plinth Column, Plinth and in Roof Slab work out your cost.

rgds
Swamy
amrutg

Post by amrutg »

swamy_blr wrote:Hi Amrut,

Not sure What made you to take this decision ? 8 mm in A-one Brand and Rest in JSW brand.
Don't know the volume you required for 8mm steel (No of Bundles or Kgs), 8mm steel is mainly used for Stripes.

At present the JSW NEO is 44500 Per ton with Bill (5% VAT), and Aone cost you 38000 Per ton.
Please go with single brand for Footings, Plinth Column, Plinth and in Roof Slab work out your cost.

rgds
Swamy
It was an impulsive desicion, off the 2+ ton, 8mm was about 500KG, and yes they are primarily used for rings only. Have used the current steel for Footing and columns, all future buy would be JSW only.

Thanks

Return to “Civil Construction”