Wooden door frame panels instead of Traditional vaskals

avipnv

Wooden door frame panels instead of Traditional vaskals

Post by avipnv »

Hi Forum,

I needed some info on this topic here.
Am looking at different ways to bring down the cost here, and my architect also
is ok with it.
He suggests we can bring in a grand look by having large/wide panel frames(wood sheets) fixed to
the wall directly(plastering already done) and doors anchored to it with top and bottom hinges, just as you see in how glass doors are
anchored in any office space.
Am planing to have these for inner rooms, i might likely go with traditional vaskals for only main doors.

Has any one of you tried these type of frame and door setting.
Kindly share your ideas and pics if any.

Thanks
Avinash
Nivas

Re: Wooden door frame panels instead of Traditional vaskals

Post by Nivas »

I doubt you would save anything in cost by excluding wooden door frame, the alternate arrangement of top and bottom hinges + wood board lapping of wall to make it look like frame would cost even higher , with the risk of reliability . top and bottom pivoted hinges are for rigid doors that hold shape like metal or glass or wood framed glass door. wood doors are natural products that varies in geometry with age and environment , so its best hinged to a frame from a side which is firmly fixed to the wall.

7x3 ft wood frame of cross section 4 x 2.5 inch (instead of 5x3 ) will be 1.5 cft of wood , labour will be 500 per frame . if you choose the wood species wisely you can finish the door frame in 2000 Rs. I think this price will stay unbeatable.
avipnv

Post by avipnv »

Thanks Nivas, for the great insight.
Since the plastering is already done in most door ways, i need to think of wood lappings.
i guess hinging the door to the side frame in a much better approach.

Would you like to suggest any carpenter, whom you might have dealt.
Am in JP nagar area.
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

i have pm u the details, below are more insights from a woodworkers perspective. it helps u to make a better choice,

if ur wall is plastered , u need not shy away from using a timber frame, because u cannot secure the frame with z ms clamps buried deep into wall,
( traditional way). alternately u need to anchor fasten it via the timber frame. u can choose thinner section of wood to cut cost.
screw pulling\holding capacity in plywood in comparison to solid wood is a controversy and subjected to quality of material. doors operation loads are impulse and oscillatory in nature under these cases solid timber performs better.
aesthetically ,a plywood frame finished with veneer matching the door with wood edge banding is superior.
lets say there are undulations or gradients in the plastered wall, it would be difficult to insulate a plywood frame from taking the contour of the wall , solid timber frames score better in these situations.

to a skilled worker, it is not a challenge at all ,anything can be done ,choice is yours. only difficult thing is to set a labour wage price per unit.
avipnv

Post by avipnv »

Really helpful. Appreciate it. i have pm'd my number. Let me know your contact details, so i can reach
out to you, if needed.
Thanks for your valuable advice.
suchith

Post by suchith »

@Nivas, need your urgent guidance on few aspects. My project is half complete. Could you please pm me your contact number

Return to “Civil Construction”