Plan To Start Construction

Armchair_general

Re: Plan To Start Construction

Post by Armchair_general »

After Ashwin visited the sit, he provided me multiple elevation designs and assigned his team to work on the plan. The first thing I did was a soil analysis. After the report came out (clay soil and less strength), the architect team provided me with the floor plan.

Combined with the elevation, floor design and soil analysis, I received the BOQ and the estimate of the project. I was satisfied with the features introduced in the project like large windows, fabrication and interior designs.

Ashwin's team consisted of Engineer, Jr Architect, Interior Designer and Contractor. I was okay with all, except the contractor. My belief is to keep the teams of contractor and architect separate. We refer this as segregation of duties, in my career line. This will ensure that all the concerned parties will be honest and transparent.

Ashwin was generous enough to accept my condition and left the search of contractor to me. I am deeply thankful to him for his flexibility.

I signed the contract and commenced my search for the contractor armed with the BOQ.

Now everyone knows that the contractor is the key part of the project. He turns all the plans to reality. The dreams and aspirations of the family and the owner will be brought to fruit by the contractor. The length of the project will exceed a year and he will hold the key to get every stage completed to satisfaction.

Again through this forum I met a few contractors. Also a few approached me through Just Dial and Sulekha. I think I met around 10 + contractors and was amazed at how this industry works. I am a project manager myself. I work on multi million dollar projects with vendors. So thankfully I have sufficient experience on dealing with representatives from unstructured industries.

This search experience though was at a different level altogether. Few walked out when they understood that I have an architect and he will oversee the project. Few were rejected as they insisted that I cancel the contract and sign a new contract with their architect. Some said BOQ is too expensive, they can reduce the final prize by compromising on the quantity of steel and cement. Hence they were rejected.

Through this forum, Rajesh reached out to me. He was young, but willing to work with the architect. I shared the BOQ and asked him to come back with his estimate. He honestly told me the costs and his fees. The contract was labor and material. The length of the contract will be decided by the architect. The quality, grade and quantity was already decided. Rajesh had just to procure it at the most reasonable price.

We opted everything with bills, the bills would be reviewed by Chartered Accountant as part of capital gains exemption submission.

I was satisfied with his honesty and drew up a contract with him. The contract was a standard contract and included the payment schedule and duties and responsiblities of all the concerned parties.

Contd..
Armchair_general

We commenced on Oct 2017. The focus was on getting the structural integrity right and complete curing. At every stage we went for 20 + days of curing. The idea was to expose the construction to sufficient weather conditions and seasons.

The structural engineer visited at all important stages to review the work of the fabricator. A word of appreciation to fabricator, he was patient and completed all the designs without a mistake. Rajesh's team were obsessed with getting the measurements right. So sufficient time would be spent on measuring and marking and only after the satisfaction of all teams concerned, the actual construction would start.

The architect's team made some minor adjustments, which did not prove very costly, fortunately. I received the 3D walkthrough of how the interiors would look. This walkthrough was very helpful to us to visualise how the house would look from inside, even before the foundation was complete.

At every stage, the architect's team would share with the construction team and worked very closely in getting the minor adjustments right. The presence of the contractor is paramount at the time of marking and measurement. He has to translate the requirements and numbers and interpret the designs to the actual workers. Important details are lost during this phase. But again, Rajesh was around personally monitoring every phase.

Since all the designs were shared to electrician, plumbers and fabricators, the only focus would be on executing the tasks as per measurements. How would I rate them ? Fabricator was impressive, plumber was okay, electrician was below average. Many mistakes were made by the electrician. I was just not happy with him. Rajesh if you are reading this? Dump him and get somebody better.
Armchair_general

We started facing challenges in the project. The layout roads were dug up to provide Kaveri water. BESCOM cut power daily averaging 14 + hours to upgrade the power lines and change the transformers. There was a one month delay in getting tiles laid due to power cuts.

During end of December, we commenced with painting and started with the interiors. The first carpenter did a shoddy job, so had to switch to a different carpenter at the last moment. By Feb, we completed the construction and Feb 3rd week we moved in.

Although I would have liked to have given 6 weeks to Rajesh to complete the minor jobs, but I had no option to move in early.

Sorry to bore you guys with my experience. Compared to others, my project went extremely well. The teams worked fantastically with each other. The project was on schedule, had minor cost escalations and met my expectations. There was no deviation from the elevation to final output.

So what are the things I learned from this project ?

1. Get an architect. He will come up with wonderful designs and there will be zero wastage of space.
2. BOQ route is the best as the quantity and cost will be known. The final project cost will not be a unpleasant surprise to anyone.
3. Budget aggressively and keep the project cost ( + 10% escalation) amount in hand before commencing the project.
4. Amazon is your best friend. You will get it cheaper provided you can schedule it in advance. UPS, electrical items I got from amazon @ 40 % discount.
5. Do sufficient testing of drainage and plumbing before occupying. We had cement bags forgotten in the drain pipe.

Coming down to numbers:

Project cost
Construction + Labour + Contractor Fees: 66,00,000
Bribes: 2,00,000
Interiors: 15,00,000
Architect Fees: 5 %
Contractor Fees: 10 %
Last edited by Armchair_general on May 23rd, 2019, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Armchair_general

I will upload the BOQ format, pictures of the house and the interiors in the evening.

Final word of thanks to Ashwin & his team and gratitude to Rajesh for being a friend and completing the project on time and cost.

Feel free to contact me on this forum as I periodically browse from time to time.
Armchair_general

Some features of the house.

1. Large Sump (8000 lts + 2000 lts Tank) - Water supply is a problem. Tankers delay supply. I have to followup for 2-3 days to get them to deliver water. Thankfully I can easily manager 10 days with one tanker and plan well in advance for re-supply.

2. 3.5 KVA Ups - I have daily powercuts extending to 8 + hours. I have not felt any difference as my UPS ensures disruptions are zero.

3. Cantilever steps - Space saving and looks classy.

4. Large tank room to hold miscellaneous items out of sight.

5. CCTV providing 360 degree coverage. Even though I live in gated community, there is a snake menace. I always ensure to check the surroundings before I step out of the house.

6. All rooms have piping done to fix A/Cs.

7. White Quartz counter top.

8. Factory finished interiors. Hettich and Blum accessories. Fantastic quality and design. No carpenters worked @ the site.
Armchair_general

https://ibb.co/VHYNCg6
raghav21

Post by raghav21 »

Hi,

Great to hear that you have completed and happy with final output. I could connect to several points in your brief. I am currently in Plastering stages of my building.
kumark2k

Post by kumark2k »

Congratulations!! Armchari_general. Thank you for sharing your experience.
rjblr

Post by rjblr »

Armchair_general wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 9:41 am
Coming down to numbers:

Project cost
Construction + Labour + Contractor Fees: 66,00,000
Bribes: 2,00,000
Interiors: 15,00,000
Architect Fees: 5 %
Contractor Fees: 10 %
Appreciate taking time to put all the details.
Very helpful for planning.

Could you please let me know if cost of 66Lacs was total and inclusive of bribes, interiors, archihtect fees and contractor fees?
Armchair_general

Project cost was 66 lakhs inclusive of contractor fees. Architect fees was separate.

Return to “Civil Construction”