Sunken slab dampness in slab underneath

Sow

Sunken slab dampness in slab underneath

Post by Sow »

Hi All,
Ours is a brand new building just occupied 2 months ago. First floor area has bathroom and toilet on a sunken slab. All flooring and wall joints are (paper joint) and some areas not grouted properly.
Recently, we noticed dampness in Ground floor ceiling/ slab which is underneath this sunken portion.
Now, my question :
1) Will regrouting with epoxy ( creating spacer in floor tile by skilled labour) be sufficient?
We are looking at this option since it's a new house and redoing the entire wet area isn't an option.
2) Will an injection grout or waterproof chemical done to slab help?What chemical should be used and how does this work?
3) Also, there is some dampness in FF wall which is above the sunken slab? Does this mean that the sunken slab is filled with water and dampness is rising on the wall?

Please provide your expert suggestions and recommendations. Would also appreciate if anyone can refer someone who can fix this type of problem.

Many thanks
Sowmya
sujiths

Re: Sunken slab dampness in slab underneath

Post by sujiths »

We had a similar issue in our home. Initially we suspected the grouting and got it re-done, but eventually we had to
get the bathroom tiles removed and re-do the entire wet area as the waterproofing and the slope underneath the tiles was not good.

The first thing to do, is to find the cause for the seepage.
Is it from the water falling on the slab and going through the grout/tiles or is it from a leaking concealed water pipe.
I guess you are suspecting the grouting because there might be some visible problems in the quality.
If its from water falling on the slab, then re-grouting 'may' solve the problem, provided that porosity of the tiles is not causing it.
If its from a concealed pipe leaking, then changing the pipe will fix it.
Dampness on the wall edges means that the water has started accumulating below the slab and this needs to be evacuated first.

Better to consult a good plumber in case you have not done so already, to find out the real cause for the leakge is and then take action accordingly.
rajesh113_ch

Post by rajesh113_ch »

even i have seen this in the past, the issue was with grouting.
you have done a mistake you should not have done paper joint tile laying.
i am sure there is no major issue here, since there is paper joint then grouting will not sit properly so there is a chance for leakage.
i have fixed this problem by widening the gap between tiles to 3 mm with the granite cutting machine and re-grouting solved the issue.
but need to be careful when using the granite cutting machine.
this way you close the issue with less than 1000/- otherwise you have to spend a lot.
Sow

Post by Sow »

Thanks for your suggestion Sujith. I am in the process of finding a good plumber to check. Most of the people who inspected suspect it to be a grouting problem.
- Also, I'm using micro concrete from fosroc to seal any plumbing joints around Nani trap as suggested by another person. I'm hoping that this will resolve the problem.

You have mentioned about tile porosity.. we have used 2'x1' Sira stone for bathroom. I was told Sira isn't porous like Sadarhalli.. Now don't know whether this is a problem..
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Sowmya
The leak or seepage can be of various reasons. Most likely chance are that water is seeping through the tile joints .
Rear cases that any of the buried PVC pipe joints will be leaking.
Easy way to attend these type of leaks are with random tests.
1. Stop using the toilet for a week and observe if the leak is still happening this means the leak is not from the used water but rather from direct water lines
2. If the leak stops in a week this means the leak is from used water only
3. Stop using floor trap but keep using the WC , this is confirm if the leak from WC line or not .

Based on some of the observation you should be able to take a better decision. In case of toilet leaks, you need patience to understand the root cause of it.
Ways to fix -
1. Re-grout with grout cement than white cement .Epoxy can only be done if you have min gap of 2-3 mm between tiles
2. Re grout in the floor traps with grout cement
3. Check for any leaks at the tap joints

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes architects and Interior designers
www.ardesarchitects.com
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
Sow

Post by Sow »

Thanks Praveen.
I'm doing all of these at the moment. Hopefully it will fix the problem.

Return to “Civil Construction”