Solid WPC as main door

rsharma_champ

Solid WPC as main door

Post by rsharma_champ »

I am exploring cheap main door options for rental houses, the requirements are toughness, waterproof, sunlight proof with less maintenance (less frequent paintings).
Solid wood teak/honne are good option however they are costly (14K + per panel). Don't want to go with flush/plywood as they do not have solid core and will not hold the lock tightly overtime.
I came across WPC solid doors which look promising and economical too (~5K per door), Has anyone used/heard about them for main door? Any other suggestions are welcome?
Nivas

Re: Solid WPC as main door

Post by Nivas »

WPC is nothing but PVC with natural wood powder. Go for it if you like plasticky things.
well Pine solid wood doors are excellent and looks great , works out well within your budget and is ready to be polished .spend a bit more and seal with PU with teak stain and is weather proof . The grains and door looks luxurious. Good Yellow pine or radiata ,is resistant to water , rot and insect.color tarnishes when when directly in contact with water. other wise all over the world yellow pine is the economical choice of timber for outdoors.
if you paint or seal with pu , i say u will never see any problem. Trust me , u will love the door when polished , it beats other expensive solid wood doors and rent can be set high.
viksat82

Post by viksat82 »

Where can we get this?
rsharma_champ

Post by rsharma_champ »

Thanks Nivas,
I had seen pine wood door at NR woods, however they were joint pieces, not made from solid single blocks hence I thought they are not strong enough.
Do you have any contact who sells solid wood pine doors? haven't seen them anywhere else in bangalore (looking for ready made)

Rahul
rsharma_champ

Post by rsharma_champ »

Regarding pine wood: Found below paragraphs on internet that scared me, I am going to put few doors at Ground floor and they may get spray's of rainwater during heavy rain.
Pine is another popular construction wood, but it’s also the wood termites seem to prefer above all.
According to studies, termites find southern yellow pine and spruce to be the most appealing woods to eat.

How about Sal/neem wood doors? do they exist?
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

sal and neem boards needed for doors are difficult to get ,sal boards split .
Pine i have tested personally , I have pine wood pergola unblemished, out in direct sun and direct rain for 3 years, inches from soil infested with termites. termite do not like them , throw in any hardwood , 5 days later, i can see termites attack , termites are beasts . once u seal any wood with paint and pu , you do not worry about termites or rain or water. its the borers that one should worry. pine resin is deterrent.
well if you see Finger jointed wood , or any wood that is engineered LVL etc , it does not mean that strength is compromised , infact it adds dimensional stability and strength. glued FJ are stronger than solid wood.
Non FJ pine doors are available . let me check and get back.

Return to “Civil Construction”