Need help on cost of construction

sbhat

Need help on cost of construction

Post by sbhat »

Hi All,
I am planning to construct house on 30X40 north facing site. Entire construction is for self use. I have 3 idea.

1. 1 Big car parking and duplex from first floor. 1 Bed room on Ground floor and 2 Bed room on first floor.

2. Time being nothing on Ground floor and duplex from first floor. 1 Bed room on first floor and 2 Bed room on second floor. There would be provision for small lift in future.

3. Time being nothing on Ground floor and 2BHK on first floor. There would be provision for small lift in future.

It would be helpful if anyone can tell me what would be the construction cost for each idea mentioned above. ( I know the cost varies based on the material, elevation.... Please consider medium range construction material and minimum elevation )

Regards,
sbhat
msn1270

Re: Need help on cost of construction

Post by msn1270 »

Consider Rs.2,000/sq.ft(2 Lakhs/Square) as an average Construction Cost.
Many Contractors may quote in the range from Rs. 1,300 to 1,600/sq.ft.
But they will have too many uncovered things in their list, which will be charged extra.
sbhat

Post by sbhat »

Hi MSN1270,
Thanks for the reply.
I think I have not provided the complete info.

1 Big car parking and duplex from first floor. 1 Bed room, hall, Kitchen, Pooja Room on Ground floor and 2 Bed room (~12X11 ft )and Small living area ( Remaining will be kept open) on first floor.

2. Time being nothing on Ground floor and duplex from first floor. 1 Bed room, hall, Kitchen, Pooja Room on first floor and 2 Bed room (~12X11 ft)and living area on second floor. There would be provision for small lift in future.

3. Time being nothing on Ground floor and 2 Bed room, hall, Kitchen, Pooja Room on first floor. There would be provision for small lift in future.( I might build duplex house from second floor future. )

It would be helpful if anyone can tell me what would be the construction cost for each idea mentioned above. ( I know the cost varies based on the material, elevation.... Please consider medium range construction material and minimum elevation ). msn provided the cost part, I wanted to know how much would be the construction area (in Square/Chadara) in each case.
regards,
sbhat
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

You need to take a paper and pencil draw a rough map of what you need and calculate the constructed area to get accurate estimate.

I am also doing construction planning for very long time and got rates for turnkey contracts on per sq feet basis

Here is my estimate based on information I have collected talking to various people,
This may not be very accurate as I am just a customer like you and not any builder / contractor.

You have not specified total constructed area however to arrive at a rough estimate of area
you can use the following tips

(1) For each bedroom + bath roughly add 250 sq feet as rule of thumb multiply this with total number of bedrooms in a house since you have
specified 3 bedrooms. 250 X 3 = 750 , now the common usable areas required ( hall , pooja ,kitchen ) is roughly same so add 750 add 10% extra for various other things. This gives total 1650 Sq feet.

(2) Now since your plot is 1200 sq feet and if you leave complete stilt floor leaving aside mandatory offsets you are looking at approx 950 sq feet of covered stilt parking

You can calculate the area of your parking floor and total covered area of constructed floor and calculate budget roughly as follows for basic finish ( what is basic finish i have explained later)

(Parking area X 1100 + Constructed floor area X 2000 ) X 1.25 for total estimate.
= ( 950*1100 + 1650*2000) * 1.25 = 54.3 L

Now if you are going for a decent rain water harvesting setup add a 25K liter sump also add boundary and parapet walls and other sundry items so roughly 60 L budget for basic finish.

Here is the summary on how these numbers are arrived at

(1) Stilt Parking the rates I got range from 950 to 1250 for Pillars + roof casted in M20 concrete as per structural drawing + parking tiles so I have taken a middle number of 1100 rs for stilt parking floor

(2) For other area writing from my memory

The basic finish means means RCC Frame + solid blocks , frame and roof slab in M20 Concrete as per structural design , Pretensed RCC foundation beams + irregular stone work foundation , floor height 10 feet, Vitrified tile floor of 70rs per sq feet + 50 Rs per sq feet bathroom tiles , hindware / perryware sanatory fittings , Jaquar mixer and taps , electrical fittings with Anchor ROMA switch, 2 Channel Almunium window , Sal door frame + flush door ( or UPVC door + Frame) , main door teak , M20 Concrete for pillars and slab , Birla 53 OPC for structure and 48 PPC for rest of the work , Kamdhenu / Indus TMT , M-Sand for the full construction , Black granite in kitchen.

In this kind of contract you need to get the plan and drawings from engineer / architect. Also you need to be on top of contractor to see whatever specification you agreed is being met.

The specification given by contractors is same as what builders quote while selling flats and the catch is also same in both moment you ask them to replace any thing with material of your choice the rate they add will be high
and the items removed they will knock off minimal amount.

For this kind of finish lowest quote I got was 1750 per Sq feet from building contractor, If you go to architects they quote around 2000 rs
as realistic rate + Architect fees.

Architect fees range from 150 Rs sq feet to 8 Lakh fixed where he will sit with you understand your requirements and give design and drawings including plan , elevation , structural drawing , plumbing , electrical and will also monitor the quality of construction with your
contractor.

If you take option of designing yourself and then someone can make proper drawings and structure design generally contractor will give you some contract to get it done in less then 2% of the total however proper architect who can also oversee the work and do quality control cost more.

These quotes exclude sump tank , boundary wall and parapet on roof , For Sump tank the rates I got was 9 to 13 rs per liter

(3) For GFRG construction where GFRG panel is used for walls and filler slab roof the rate is 1500 / 1300 .
GFRG is ecofriendly option and is technologically superior uses less sand and cement there is no need to plaster and construction can be completed in 3 to 6 months.

I am inclining for going to GFRG and use wooden floor in living and drawing room and pink granite in rest of the rooms.
And a basement found 2 contractors however in indecision mode.

Another kind of contract is where you give the full responsibility to an architect and here he charges 7 to 10% of total material /labor cost
as his fee in this arrangement, However with my limited interaction with architects they do not want to build small or anything less then 1 crore. So lets say even with sq feet rate calculation and adding 25% overhead if your price comes to 80L Arch tells finally the price will be above 1.

(4) Labor contract is given based on per chadar one chadar is 10X10 = 100 Sq feet
Here the labor is generally for plot area as lot of work such as boundary sump is not strictly in constructed area.
sbhat

Post by sbhat »

Hi Visualizer,
Thanks for the detail explanation. 80L is too much for me. need to re think. But I did not get *1.25 in the calculation (= ( 950*1100 + 1650*2000) * 1.25 = 54.3 L). Please let me know what is this ?
regards,
sbhat
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Not 80 L but my estimate was 60 L max. If you can control costs carefully in fact it could be original amount 54 L.
If you don't give turnkey contract then there are several ways to cut costs by which you can further save 10-15%

The price which contractor quotes is for basic finish civil work as I detailed earlier however

About multiplying with 1.25

I added 25% cost escalation to take care of the following

1. When we constructs house on the way we notice several requirements and change specification to add extra either due to genuine or psychological needs example using M25 instead of M20 concrete, bigger/better windows or fancier elevation designs extra power points or costlier tiles, granite each of these things add up to the cost.

2. Things such as electrical fittings , curtain rods , pump , water level indicator is not included in quotes of contractor.

3. Approvals , BWSSB , BESCOM connections, road cutting for water /sewer , bribes every thing adds to cost

4. Some woodwork is required for wardrobes and kitchen To make home livable

I estimated with 25% cost escalation. for 1 , 2 , 3 and 4
out of these 1 and 4 are n your control so this escalation could be smaller for you.

Following things can be done easily to.cut costs

1. Go for Labour contract and procure material. You need to devote more time and attention.

2. Dont put any fancy flooring in parking area just use debris of Construction with thin layer of cement.

3. Dont go for any fancy elevation designs.

3. Use Grade 53 OPC of local good brands

4. Mix 20% fly-ash in concrete mix search on net for high flyash M20 Concrete mix..curing time has to increase accordingly. You will have tough time making contractor / arch agree as they are mostly traditionalist but RMC plants use fly-ash and GGBS all the time. And Fly-ash gives resistance to alkali attack and is good for environment.

5. Do careful cost calculation of RCC work and check if Fly-ash RMC works for you.

5. Use WPVC doors and frames costs approx 2500 per door instead of 6500 for wooden frame + flush door

6. Teak door for main door and Pooja is traditionalist approach use normal 19mm flush door and cover in teak vaneer if you have some social issues. Mother nature will thank you.

7. Dont over-engineer stick to the specification for structure and electrical.

8. If you are sure of floor plan you need then you can cut the architect's services just go to a civil engg for structural drawing. Since you are planning for 4 floors and lift in future I feel good structure design is needed you can't just depend on MIstry's experience.

9. Use wood cement composite planks ( bison board) for shelves and boxes of wardrobes, kitchen instead of board / ply.

10. interior partition walls which are not going to be loaded can be made of 50mm Aerocon panel this saves space and money both. Search birla Aerocon wall panel to know what it is.
sbhat

Post by sbhat »

Hi Visualizer,

Thanks for your valuable input.

Regards,
Sbhat
sbhat

Post by sbhat »

Hi ,
What is ideal thickness of the outer wall and inner partion wall of house constructed using piller in Bangalore.
Regards,
St
Bhat
sun

Post by sun »

sent an email sBhat.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

sbhat wrote:Hi ,
What is ideal thickness of the outer wall and inner partion wall of house constructed using piller in Bangalore.
Regards,
St
Bhat
Hi Bhat,
When a building is pillar construction you can consider all the walls as just partition walls, technically there is no load transferred on to the wall. Now the criteria to decide on wall thickness is based on the conditions that specific wall will get exposed to.
External walls
Gets exposed to sunlight, rain water and high winds some times. So you need to balance the material used VS thickness.
Red brick - 9" , Solid cem block - 8" or 6" ( has to be rich cement mix blocks ) .
Internal walls
Internal loads like wardrobe, doors should be considered while choosing the thickness. Toilet wet wall is suggested for 9" just in case there is wardrobe behind it.
Red brick - 4.5" , Soild cem block 4" is good for all purpose. You need to make sure there is concrete band of 4" thck at every 4' ht for avoiding cracks and vibrations when you bang doors .

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardesarchitectsblr

Return to “Civil Construction”