BIG THROUGH CRACKS IN A 3 YEAR OLD BUILDING! NEED FEEDBACK!

Elhani

BIG THROUGH CRACKS IN A 3 YEAR OLD BUILDING! NEED FEEDBACK!

Post by Elhani »

@ALL
I need your feedback and advice on the below cracks which are through on both sides of the wall. these have started developing all over the house in different sizes and shapes!
this is a 3 year old building, the construction of this building( G+2) finished in 7 months, started in jan and finished in september2015,

we would like to know what cracks are these and are they to be taken seriously! or just fill them and get them painted?

as earlier there were see through cracks in the balcony area to the hall wall which we had filled 2 years earlier and now the crack has come back, but its of the same size and not grown big just opened up, ill post these cracks pics later.

but the attached pics are of the room and the kicthen which is a concern for us as they are big, so pls do shed some light on them
wbr
elhani.
Attachments
bottom crack end 3 .jpg
bottom crack in kitchen 2 .jpg
bottom crack in kitchen 1 .jpg
Elhani

Re: BIG THROUGH CRACKS IN A 3 YEAR OLD BUILDING! NEED FEEDBACK!

Post by Elhani »

@ALL
this is the cracks continuining in the room from the bottom cracks in the kitchen ,
Attachments
bottom crack on the other side of kithen 4 .jpg
Elhani

Post by Elhani »

@ALL
This are the cracks in the room! this too is on the both sides of the wall
Attachments
crack in the room 2 side 2 .jpg
crack in the room 1 side 1 .jpg
Elhani

Post by Elhani »

@ALL
This is the Upper crack in the kitchen area and this crack too is same on the other side of the wall.
Attachments
up crack in kitchen end 4.jpg
up crack in kitchen start 3 .jpg
up crack in kitchen start 2 .jpg
ragalax

Post by ragalax »

hi,
where is your house? I want to visit once to understand reason behind?
I will PM my number.
Elhani

Post by Elhani »

@All
Well very strange forum! except one reply! no other person has bothered to give any feedback, i should assume that in the whole of karnataka, its just my house which is cracking up!
wbr
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi, Elhani
These cracks are settlement cracks as per the pics, you haven't mentioned which floor there cracks are seen.
1. In case the cracks are in ground floor its mostly because of week wall foundations ( not pillars) done , most people ignore partition wall foundations.
2. In case the cracks are in first floor its mostly because of some floor beam settlements

Above suggestions are in general cases , it may or may not be applicable for your case. You need to get the building inspected by a professional .

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardesarchitectsblr

PS: Posts are for information purposes only .Consult with a professional before taking any sort of action.
Elhani

Post by Elhani »

@AR.PRAVEEN.N
Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it, well these cracks are in the second floor of the house in which we are residing, they are mostly in the left side of the building which is adjacent to an huge empty plot,
and this whole area was a big quarry about 20 years back and later was used as a dump yard ! so this whole area has been filled with debris and all sort of things 20 years back,
could this be the reason for the cracks as the building is settling even after 3 years of construction? pls advice!
wbr
Elhani.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Did you get the soil testing done before constructing? What was the report ?

Yes in my opinion the cracks are due to differential settlement of the soil in adjacent plot. I think pile or raft foundation should have been done similar to what is recommended for black cotton soil.
Though I am not civil engineer but this is based on basic knowledge. You should consult a structural engineer ASAP.
Though constuction is over but Sometimes additional external cage like support of RCC pillars and beams can be used to stabilise and prevent further damage.
Elhani wrote:@AR.PRAVEEN.N
Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it, well these cracks are in the second floor of the house in which we are residing, they are mostly in the left side of the building which is adjacent to an huge empty plot,
and this whole area was a big quarry about 20 years back and later was used as a dump yard ! so this whole area has been filled with debris and all sort of things 20 years back,
could this be the reason for the cracks as the building is settling even after 3 years of construction? pls advice!
wbr
Elhani.
Elhani

Post by Elhani »

@Visualizer
tks for your reply, thats the bigest mistake we did, we didnt do a soil test and the other big mistake is we didn't consult an architect or an engineer, blindly trusted the contractor when he told us he will consult them himself and get the plan ready.
yes we are looking for one, appreciate if you people could suggest any good structural engineer to consult.
wbr
elhani.
:(

Return to “Civil Construction”