Cost of renovation for a 60-40 house

gautham

Cost of renovation for a 60-40 house

Post by gautham »

I have been a silent reader of this great forum for quite some time now. I need a small help. I found this 60-40 house which is about 30 years old. To my surprise its not that bad. ( I mean not a demolishable candidate). Its a ground only floor with 3 bhk and a big car garage. Now I have the following queries.
1. If I were to renovate the entire house, how much it would cost?. (Flooring, painting, bathroom fittings etc with premium materials.)
2. Is it worth renovating a 30 year old house, even though its in a good condition ?. The advantage here is that, less cost and less time.
3. If I were to demolish and build again, how much it would cost? I am not looking to build any rental floor. Looking to build 3bhk. Either in ground or ground +1
I would appreciate if you could throw some light on this.
Visualizer

Re: Cost of renovation for a 60-40 house

Post by Visualizer »

My suggestion rennovation would be better if structure is sound and you are not too unhappy with the current plan.

If you want on 1st floor you can choose GFRG construction (Google search about it) as well it will be fast lasting and light weight and gives good finish.
I can provide some contacts to you of interested.
gautham

Post by gautham »

Thanks Visualizer. Any idea as to how much it would cost for renovation ?
I still havent bought this yet. Will contact you later for the CFRG thing
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Cost of renovation depends on what materials and how much you want to renovate. It is easier to say how much you will save. An architect or civil engineer can give accurate estimate however below is crude figure from my side.

Assuming the structure of house is RCC
Lets take worst case scenario say you replace all finishes ( doors , windows flooring , lighting, plumbing , tiling) also demolish few walls / build few partition walls.

In this case you are reusing foundation, RCC structure , Roofs atlesst so you are saving more then 50% of overall costs on

1. Demolition costs
2. Excavation costs
3. PCC
4. Footing / foundation
5. Plinth beams
6. Columns / beamz
7. slabs
8. Atleast few walls

Roughly 50 Lakh ball park for 40x60 site taking roughly 1 cr as new house cost.
My architect once told me life of RCC is considered roughly 100 years and life of house considering changing requirements and priorities is 30 years.
So keep next 30 years in mind and try to reuse.
gautham

Post by gautham »

Thanks Visualizer. Thats a useful. Yes I meant with premium material only. And it doesn't involve demolish/building any walls. Mainly flooring, bathroom, tiles, painting.
I am no expert. But dont you think 50 lac is a little high for this kind of work?. ( Its a ground only floor building). At the same time, are you sure it can be done in 1 crore (for new house)?. I thought it would cost a lot more.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Well it was just my top of the mind estimate taking reused cost as half of total final costs of 1 crore.
I am not an expert may be I have estimated on higher side.

Ground floor is the costliest floor ( assuming same finish everywhere) It all depends on quality/cost of current house and what you can reuse in it.

Lets try to do some estimation here for 1 floor when contractors give quote based on per sq feet method they are quoting
roughly 2000 rs per sq feet. So in 2400 sq feet plot you will have to leave 8% offsets on sides , 8% at back and 12% in front.
Your final plinth area will be 1536 sq ft as per BBMP norms so roughly 30 lakhs. Add to this approval costs, sump , overhead tank,
boundaries and demolition cost which you never incurred so around 35 Lakhs.

I doubt you will be stripping everything in the current house so depending on things being reused you can increase/decrease the value.
gautham

Post by gautham »

Thanks a lot Visualizer
girishshk

Post by girishshk »

Suggest you to do it your self without any contract
1. If I were to renovate the entire house, how much it would cost?. (Flooring, painting, bathroom fittings etc with premium materials.) -15 to 20 Lacks
2. Is it worth renovating a 30 year old house, even though its in a good condition ?. The advantage here is that, less cost and less time. -Yes (Foundation is good enough)
3. If I were to demolish and build again, how much it would cost? I am not looking to build any rental floor. Looking to build 3bhk. Either in ground or ground +1 (25 -30 Lacks add 10 lacks for G+1 approx)
gautham

Post by gautham »

Thanks girishshk. Thats useful. Are you sure about 25-30 lacks for building from scratch?. Doesnt look realistic to me. I see people talking about rs 2000 per sq ft for construction

Return to “Civil Construction”