Cost per Sq. Ft

akki

Cost per Sq. Ft

Post by akki »

I got a quotation from a contractor for my house on 30*50 as Rs1115 based on the material rates today. As the rates of steel and cement fluctuate a lot how do contractors handle the price and keep it do they have the buffer added to the cost per sq. ft? if so how much is that 10% or 15%? How are the contracts usually made for this buffer?
ardesarchitects

Re: Cost per Sq. Ft

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Akki,
One important thing in sft contract is that you should make a proper detailed contract.If you miss any important item in contract .Contract will take 100% advantage of it.
The price escalation is one loose point contract can take you for a ride.You should always mention the base prices for all the material used and discuss the buffer factor very clearly.Your architect can give you approx quantity of cement and steel for calculating the differences at the end of the project.
In general contract should bare up to 5-10% price escalation.
Contract document should have details like brick ,cement(for rcc,plastering),steel (with thickness of rods),plastering details,flooring laying details,plinth hts,parking area floor etc.......Should talk even about hardware like hinges,handles,locks ,doors .

Hi,
You can look for old teak frames,but you have limitations on sizes of windows and doors.If you get a deal directly from a owner you can get a good deal.If it goes to second hand vendor he hikes the price.
Getting this kind of old frames is very rare case.Since any one demolishing a old house plans to built new using same .
Painted doors can be cleaned and polished.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
abhinkoi

Re: Cost per Sq. Ft

Post by abhinkoi »

Do you know any good reputed builder who constructs houses on contract? I am also in search of this information. Seems to be a big project :(

Thx
Abhinav

Return to “Civil Construction”