Labour cost for the common work and general guidelines.

blr78

Labour cost for the common work and general guidelines.

Post by blr78 »

Hi All,
For the house renovation, I have zeroed in on one contractor. In his estimate, he didn't give a break up of labour cost and material cost. I found it strange. When insisted, he said he factored in 60 rs for tiles, 3000 rs for wash basin, 6000 rs for commode. (I believe these are entry level items). Initially I thought the overall estimate was fair. But, after looking at the price of materials, looks like I am being taken for a ride. Can someone tell me
1. What is the cost of laying tiles? (on a per sq ft basis). I have a mix of floor vitrified tiles, external wall tiles, bathroom wall/floor tiles, terrace, staircase tiles. And wooden flooring too , Just a general rough estimate factoring all these also will help.
2. Cost to break the existing tiles/sanitary-ware in bathroom?
3. Cost for false ceiling.

I don't want to negotiate hard because I heard its very difficult to get contractors renovation kind of work. At the same time, I want to avoid surprises later on. For renovation kind of work, are there any general guidelines before signing up? ( For ex, In the new construction, they will have a lot of details) . How much should be the advance payment? (Is it on a progress basis or flat amount like 50% upfront ?)
blr78

Re: Labour cost for the common work and general guidelines.

Post by blr78 »

Can someone help?
Specially, I am looking at
1. Tiles related charges. He is charging me 160 rs per sq ft. Here, the tiles cost is 60 rs. So, is 100 rs/sq ft a very high labour charge? We need keep in mind, in some places, there is no need to remove the existing tiles. And in some places like terrace, it's easy to remove. Only the kitchen tiles is complicated.
2. He is charging 1.5 lac for electrical work. ( which includes false ceiling related work too). Another 1 lac extra for the actual false ceiling. (Rs 75/sq ft)
3. I am yet to negotiate the price. But when I casually asked, he reduced it by 50k. I am pretty sure they factor this in the estimate. In general, what is a decent discount one should ask? ( say in % terms). I think I should bargain, because the final price will shoot up due to unknowns and the fact that I need to upgrade the materials he is giving.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

blr78 wrote:
May 4th, 2023, 10:42 pm
Can someone help?
Specially, I am looking at
1. Tiles related charges. He is charging me 160 rs per sq ft. Here, the tiles cost is 60 rs. So, is 100 rs/sq ft a very high labour charge? We need keep in mind, in some places, there is no need to remove the existing tiles. And in some places like terrace, it's easy to remove. Only the kitchen tiles is complicated.
2. He is charging 1.5 lac for electrical work. ( which includes false ceiling related work too). Another 1 lac extra for the actual false ceiling. (Rs 75/sq ft)
3. I am yet to negotiate the price. But when I casually asked, he reduced it by 50k. I am pretty sure they factor this in the estimate. In general, what is a decent discount one should ask? ( say in % terms). I think I should bargain, because the final price will shoot up due to unknowns and the fact that I need to upgrade the materials he is giving.
Hi blr78
1. Tiles laying labour cost is 35 rupees if you go for epoxy filling, removing of existing tiles is extra
2. 1.5 lac for electrical including wires and switches ? its very vague way of estimating unless we know the amount of work need to be done , false ceiling cost is 60-65/- per sft but billing system different .
3. Negotiation can never happen based on total amount is high for your budget or less for your budget. Unless you know the details and specs with design in your hand, I wouldn't suggest you to get the design and material specifications first and then get quote again.
99% of times final project cost goes haywire because of no proper understanding of what we need.

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
https://www.instagram.com/ardesarchitects
blr78

Post by blr78 »

Thanks a ton Praveen sir for the useful info.
2. Yes it includes wires and switches etc. The other work involved is shifting the meter ( which shud be simple) and adding 4 AC points. Does 1.5 lac look high?. Its a g+ 2 house, Not much to be done on the first floor.
3. I understand what you are saying. No its not based on my budget or I think the total amount is high. I assumed all the contractors inflate it in the estimate in order to offset any negotiation. He agreed to 1 lac.

Return to “Civil Construction”