Home interior work advice

sunildn

Re: Home interior work advice

Post by sunildn »

Hi Sk1976,

Thanks for the info on interior/purchase experience.

Generally, people charge between Rs.1000 - 1250/sqft for wardrobes with veneer. By paying carpenter charges and providing material, what could be the per sqft cost for us? because, I am also planning to give these jobs to carpenter instead of full contract.

Regards,
Sunil
sk1976

Post by sk1976 »

Hi,
Per SFT charges largely depend on the cost of materials being supplied. A decent 8x4 laminate from Greenply costs around Rs 1500 per sheet( around Rs 50 /SFT). However veneer costs start from Rs 80 and you will generally find good ones in the range of Rs 150-300 per SFT. Also good commercial ply costs around Rs 65-70 /SFT (Niki). On top of this, you have add carpenter rates, wastage, cost of fevicol, and other minor items to arrive at the price.

Regards,
Selva
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Sunil
If you get wood work done with carpenter you can save 10-20 % on total cost what ever you spend in full contract. That 10-20% cost difference to be compensated with your personal time and efforts .
As long as you are not looking for designer type you can get a good carpenter and get it done.Other wise you can take only design services from an architect and execute it with carpenter.

Hi ,
You can look at legrand arteor .The selection range is good.The top plates are very attractive and round switches .
Cost wise they are 5% expensive than Anchor roma ( basic white plate vs white roma ).Noise levels are better compared to Roma

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes architects and interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
blorebuddy

Post by blorebuddy »

I got a full material contract quote for the woodwork. Can you please let me know whether this is reasonable?
710 Rs for covering Loft,
1450 Rs for Kitchen with BWR plywood of his choice he told pine wood or neem wood. Don't know whether any plywood is there with this name (1800 Rs if Century or greenply BWR Ply needs to be used)
1025 Rs for Wardrobes (1500 Rs if Century or greenply MR needs to be used)
Ebco Hinges will be used
0.8mm inside lamination - diplomate
1mm outside laminate - merino laminate
Chimney, Granite, SS baskets, Tandem boxes as actual

If it is labour contract Rs 250 per sq ft.

Please let me know whether this is reasonable?
ardesarchitects

Hi ,
pine wood and neam wood are not the brand names.These are ply core wood types.Just a BWR in kitchen is not enough to justify the pricing .You need to check the ply brand he is going to use in 1450/- and 1025/- per sft price.
There are many local brands in ply with duplicate ISI marks .If you visit behind mysore road satilite bus stand road some time in odd hours will see how easy they print the fake names on the ply while loading in to the auto.
So make sure you ask for the brand and if required visit the ply shop to see the ply personally (though you may not understand in the first look compare with well known brand)
Few things to check the ply quality
1.A good ply with full hard wood or pine will be heavy - lift up a green /kitply/century ply and local you will make the difference very easily
2.Check for cross section if possible ( this is possible practically checking it at site)
3.Board or ply thickness should be consistent ,looking at ply side by side can make difference

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
www.ardesarchitects.com
blorebuddy

Post by blorebuddy »

ardesarchitects wrote:Hi ,
pine wood and neam wood are not the brand names.These are ply core wood types.Just a BWR in kitchen is not enough to justify the pricing .You need to check the ply brand he is going to use in 1450/- and 1025/- per sft price.
There are many local brands in ply with duplicate ISI marks .If you visit behind mysore road satilite bus stand road some time in odd hours will see how easy they print the fake names on the ply while loading in to the auto.
So make sure you ask for the brand and if required visit the ply shop to see the ply personally (though you may not understand in the first look compare with well known brand)
Few things to check the ply quality
1.A good ply with full hard wood or pine will be heavy - lift up a green /kitply/century ply and local you will make the difference very easily
2.Check for cross section if possible ( this is possible practically checking it at site)
3.Board or ply thickness should be consistent ,looking at ply side by side can make difference

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
Thank you for your response. I insisted the brand name which he could not say beyond neemwood. :D Please let me know if the price is justified if it is greenply (1800 Rs for Kitchen) or labour contract of 250 Per Sq Ft.
ardesarchitects

Hi
1800/- for green ply sounds more you can negotiate to 1650 - 1700/- .Labor 250/- per sft is fine for kitchen if his workmanship is really good.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
chand

Post by chand »

hi ,

Rs 1850 for kitchen and 1500/- for wardrobes is way to high .. you visit once kelachandra near Menakashi temple hulimava on benargatta to know what finishes and quality means. nowdays lots of interiors agents get it done in factories they say its greenply for 1100/- range. I gave full contract but now I feel that I should have gone for the labour contract.

I paid 775/- for wardrobe and 550 loft, Raaj ply( mangalore ply) with 0.8 laminate inside and 1 mm outside of greenlam/acis of our choice. And hitech channels
customized to have shelfs of choice. genrally carpenters do not encourage more number of racks/channels . So you have the flexibility of labour contract.

Marine ply only carcars Rs 750/- for kitchen. Now that I read Praveen's comments regarding the duplicate i need to check the quality.

But I could smell neem wood like when plywood is cut and there is shining yellow sticker .

-chand
chand

Post by chand »

hi Praveen,

I have a question I' need to make book shelf for kids , will white high gloss look good howz the maintanance of high gloss laminate.

any brand for the choice? mr tuff plus from merino good enough.

-chand
blorebuddy

Post by blorebuddy »

Thanks Chand, Praveen for your valuable inputs. I am also thinking of labour contract so that we have freedom to select material and make changes as we go forward. However my friends are sharing horror stories of how much personal time and effort it took to manage procuring and providing all the material required for them. Looks like carpenters do not plan well in advance and asks for things then and there which makes life miserable.

Return to “Interiors”