Glass Roofing of Balcony

MNRS

Glass Roofing of Balcony

Post by MNRS »

Hi

Can you please provide me the details like, approximately how much it is going to cost to construct a 8'X10' Glass Roof Balcony. I also need to erect the Iron pillars to support the glass.

Also please let me know what type of Glass I should use for this purpose ? Any precautions.

Thanks
blrsiteseeker

Re: Glass Roofing of Balcony

Post by blrsiteseeker »

is this an outside balcony. if so, I think the fibreglass sheets are cheaper and they come in beautiful colours and designs (although they have designs, they do allow light penetration). And for that I think the supports (pillars) required are much lighter than traditional glass. Besided regular glass could break with objects falling on the roof.

then there is also the option of polycarbonate - which does come in clear as well as designs.
MNRS

Post by MNRS »

Yes, it is an outside balcony. What I heard is, fiberglass produce lot of sound if there is any rain etc.

Any idea about a reliable/good brand and the cost ?
blrsiteseeker

Post by blrsiteseeker »

I don't know about brands etc. I am also looking for this information. What I have heard is the polycarbonate sheets are good and don't make noise or dull or make noise. I need to get more info and have been looking.

if you do find information, please post and I will do the same if I do.

thanks
kns590

Post by kns590 »

My contractor was saying 10mm sheets of multi-layered polycarbonate will muffle the rain sound to a great extent. These sheets are made of two layers with air gaps in the middle. I did a google and found an Indian company that fabricates what you need. http://www.indiamart.com/company/108575/services.html . Also check "multi-wall" at http://www.msshelters.com/types_of_sheets.html
blrsiteseeker

Post by blrsiteseeker »

Kns - thank you very much. Will check these out.
MNRS

Post by MNRS »

KNS - Thnx for the info. Any idea about the labour cost ?
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
Skylight best options are polycarbonate sheets.in this you get 10 &16mm multiwall type.
For any skylight proper steel support is necessary .lesser the sheet thickness more the support.
Most important is the joints between walls ,slab and skylight.never allow any water to stay on the sheet.enough slope is must.
Never use 3mm single layer sheets,it just bends and make water to stay.
On average sky light will cost 250 to 300/-per sft.it varies with ms detail,sheet used.
Regards
Ar.Praveen
Ardes architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
MNRS

Post by MNRS »

Thnx Praveen for your info. Do you know any of the contractors who can takes up this job ?
blrsiteseeker

Post by blrsiteseeker »

Thanks Praveen. Will save all the above info from you and KNS.

Return to “Interiors”