What plywood to use?

neeraj_da

What plywood to use?

Post by neeraj_da »

I will be getting woodword starting soon where I will supply the material. I have a few questions about what plywood to use.

1) what are some good value for money brands of plywood. ( Or is there a difference between all the brands I see advertised on TV like Kitply, Archidply, Centuryply, and the odd names carpenters mention like Feb, Apollo, etc.).
2) What are good places to by plywood. Is there anything to to check to make sure plywood is genuine, etc.
3) Besided being waterproof is there any other diffrence is marine ply and commercial ply. For room wardrobes is there any advantage of marine ply.
4) Is there a variation of price in different places, or are the prices more or less fixed across.
5) How much do reasonalbly good types of marine and commerial ply cost?
neeraj_da

Re: What plywood to use?

Post by neeraj_da »

Can Praveen or any other knowledgeable person please reply.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi neeraj,
While you select ply make sure it is dried enough. Since these are layers of sheets gummed together there will be lot of wetness in the sheets.
While you go for better brands like Kitply, Archidply , Century ply these are dried properly and in future you don't face problems of bending, wobbling etc....
Borer is the biggest problem in all local ply .
There other decent brands like euro, wood land , alpine etc….euro is one; most of my clients using it for the past 4 years, till date they don’t see any borer, wobbling problems.
Other local brands as your carpenter said may or may not have these problems.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@yahoo.co.in
neeraj_da

Post by neeraj_da »

Thanks for your response. I have one more question. I am getting everything constructed with ply, but for shutters somebody suggested that i go for blockboard saying that it doesn't warp that much.

Any body has any inputs on suitability of using blockboard compared to ply for shutters?
neeraj_da

Post by neeraj_da »

Found some more information on woodwork here: http://www.blrestate.com/forums/index.p ... ,92.0.html
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi neeraj
Are you talking about block board or MDF ,block board is available only in 19 mm.The shutter weight will be to heavy in case of block board.The hinghes should be able to take the weight.In many cases the hinges gives away due to heavy weight of shutters.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
neeraj_da

Post by neeraj_da »

I was talking about blockboard. I didn't know that blockboard is heavier than plywood. Thanks for your input.
rajesht74

Post by rajesht74 »

I guess if you use a quality hinge from BLUM or HAFFELLE or any other equivalent your problem should get solved.
namburi

Post by namburi »

Hi rajesh
The brands you quoted are really the best ones, but one the hinges are almost thrice the cost of normal brands like ebco, abc etc......
But then the amount you save by using block board will be nullify by the hinges cost.
Instead of using block board for shutters its better you use it for making boxes and use good ply for shutters.

Regards
neeraj_da

Post by neeraj_da »

How are Hittech hinges , drawers, compared to Haffle Blum?

Return to “Interiors”