Paint primer - question

Vimal

Paint primer - question

Post by Vimal »

Hi,

I was talking to a painter on primer. He says paint consumption quantity will be more if we use oil based primer. Instead he is suggesting to go for cement based primer or water primer. Any idea which is better to choose ?

Thanks
Vimal
Vimal

Re: Paint primer - question

Post by Vimal »

Bumping to get a response.
kumar_p

Post by kumar_p »

Hi,

Cement primer (water based) is good enough for normal usage

Oil based primer are more costly and again for workability one need to add Turpentine oil
tech4pk

Post by tech4pk »

Go for water based primer, and it's of the decent quality for the best use.
Vimal

Post by Vimal »

Thank you kumar and teck4pk.
Vimal

Post by Vimal »

My contractor has coated 3 coats of birla wallcare putty (SF). He says primer is not needed before painting as birla wallcare putty does not require primer coat. Is it advisable to skip primer coat ?

Thanks
Vimal
dream_home

Post by dream_home »

yes in this case primer is not required.
Vimal

Post by Vimal »

When I called Asian Paint Home Solution they said I should use one coat of deco prime water based primer because primer is the bonding agent for paint even though birla website says primer is not required when wallcare putty is used.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
primer is meant for bonding and save paint.oil primer is the best but costlier than water based primer.if we don't use primer the paint consumption will be very high (50-60% more ) and you will never get the real colors .using 2 coats of primer is also no harm.it fills the fine gaps in the wall putty .

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
sam_m400

Post by sam_m400 »

i am also in confusion on whether to use primer or not as many of my neighbors are not using directly using Birla putty. Is any long terms issues not having primer.

@Praveen : Is it really required as my painter says if putty is done very fine taking its time smoothing perfectly then paint consumption will not be there as pores all will be almost closed. What is your suggestion????. Is any long terms issues apart from color and consumption like peeling out because of moisture issues etccccc

Return to “Interiors”