Home interior work advice

RAJESHTD

Re: Home interior work advice

Post by RAJESHTD »

Hi Chand and Others

Raaj is not Mangalore. Its Bangalore ply. On Magadi Road. They are in Ply business for last fourteen years. People prefer them for consistent
quality in commerical at a price of Rs. 70 psft. Now rates gone up from 1st May. But pls note they do not manufacture neemwood ply
RAJESHTD

Post by RAJESHTD »

ardesarchitects wrote:Hi Guys
Let me put my experiences with labor contract in the current market trend

1.Getting a reliable carpenter is just a myth
2.Depending on carpenter knowledge is like swimming a river holding a dogs tail
3.No one can provide or estimate the exact material required (since you think of making changes as you want then what the carpenter can do?)
4.You need to be ready to visit hardware shop no less than 30-40 times
5.You would be purely depending on the hardware shop / ply wood guys marketing knowledge .My personal experience tell that material vendor has zero knowledge about any material they are selling .They have no idea about the compatibility of one fixture with other.
6.Planning on saturday and sunday for material purchase is your plan but not carpenters plan.Don't expect the carpenter to give you list of materials every week to keep you comfortable for buying them in weekends
7.Most items you dream to buy (sophisticated fittings/ exotic laminates/handles/veneers)are not available with shopkeepers.You order them and get it in 2-3 days some times a week.
8. Technically you place a order on Saturday item is ready on Tuesday to collect ,so you need to be available on Tuesday :)

Note **** sunday market is closed (99%).only local shops will be available .So you are left with only saturday

I am not discouraging any one here ,keeping you informed about the time it demands .
I have seen many of my clients who are passionate about design and shows no compromise in getting any material from any where in bangalore .They spend hours with carpenters / polishers / shopkeepers / electricians to get the things done as per design.
So be prepared for spending your personal time & lot of R&D with materials / prices / logistics / labor payments / project management / co ordination with teams .

Good luck

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
I am a full time finance professional and work in a company in full time. I am doing house construction after three architects, one civil engineer cheated me and taken me for a jolly ride. Whatever work you get carried out IT IS ALWAYS BETTER IN BANGALORE FOR LABOUR CONTRACT. It is not difficult to get Labour in Bangalore.

a) Selection of Labour worker for Wood work - Pls check in your locality houses as to who did the work. Meet the workers. Ask him to show houses under work in progress and ones completed. Directly seek to speak to the house owner in front of the worker and see as many houses as possible and speak to owners and take feedback on the work. Quotions you will easily get to evaluate. Go do some good Ply shops and ask about labour contractors and take references and once satisfied select him.

b) Buying material on Sunday: There are some shops which are open on Sunday Just go to Mysore Road, BVK Iyengar and Chickpet. PEOPLE HAVE TO OPEN ON SUNDAYS IF THEY WANT BUSINESS. Afterall people who construct houses and spend really are the salaried professionals who are in good number. IT is a generally known fact that salaried professionals are free on SAturday and Sunday. So shops open for this customer segment. This is nothing new. You can visit ply shops even late in evening after you return from work. Visit ply shops around your office during lunch time.

c) Visit some 10 -12 ply shops. As Praveen N says check individually the sheets and feel the quality. Do some net search and check for logos, prints, manufacture carefully. Ask plenty of questions at the shop (owners and workers). Then you will get the truth.

d) Buy hardware in checkpet and avenue road.... Nails, Fevicol can be bought in local areas.

e) Labour contract is much easier and hassle free and if the labour does not perform well you can throw them out. But in material contract you get pissed off with the quality and quantity of items they bring. UNFORTUNATELY I AM SAYING THIS BECUASE VERY FEW PEOPLE ARE TRUSTWORTHY IN THIS FIELD THESE DAYS.

Pls feel free to bounce me off for any inputs on any aspect of HOUSE CONSTRUCTION. Believe me I am not a Civil, Structural consultant or a architect or designer.
I AM A HARD CORE FINANCE PROFESSIONAL WHO KNOWS THE TRUTH OF ALL PROFESSIONS.

thanks
mcneha

Post by mcneha »

Hi Rajesh!

There are so many people who go to medical shop for small ailments and take medicine and get relieved of their complaints. The consultation fee to the Doctor is saved and so they are happy. But is it the right way? Most of us know that it is not advisable to self-prescribe medicine.

Constructing buildings just with labour contractors shall also be compared with the same act as above. There are so many technical points are to be followed which you will not be aware to have a control on the labour contractors. Definitely buildings may not fall(like people will not die who take some medicines without consulting a doctor).

Now-a-days, so many labour heads have become contractors and they are executing more buildings than engineers. If the ultimate aim of contract is only money, then every other things like quality and attitude are naturally compromised. So many owners fall prey.

Buildings, particularly residential buildings should be carried out like how shilpi's create sculptures.

If the ultimate aim of executing civil works by labour contract is only the COST, then there are few other ways of executing construction works are also there.

Regards

CHANDRASEKAR
Kiran Kumar K

Post by Kiran Kumar K »

well said
Vimal

Post by Vimal »

mcneha wrote:Hi Rajesh!

There are so many people who go to medical shop for small ailments and take medicine and get relieved of their complaints. The consultation fee to the Doctor is saved and so they are happy. But is it the right way? Most of us know that it is not advisable to self-prescribe medicine.

Constructing buildings just with labour contractors shall also be compared with the same act as above. There are so many technical points are to be followed which you will not be aware to have a control on the labour contractors. Definitely buildings may not fall(like people will not die who take some medicines without consulting a doctor).

Now-a-days, so many labour heads have become contractors and they are executing more buildings than engineers. If the ultimate aim of contract is only money, then every other things like quality and attitude are naturally compromised. So many owners fall prey.

Buildings, particularly residential buildings should be carried out like how shilpi's create sculptures.

If the ultimate aim of executing civil works by labour contract is only the COST, then there are few other ways of executing construction works are also there.

Regards

CHANDRASEKAR
Can you tell what are few other ways of executing construction work to save cost ?

Thanks
vimal
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Vimal,
In Interiors or construction most of us think good negotiation with vendors / contractors / labors is savings .Savings are those when you use the materials efficiently & effectively .I don't believe in buying a similar quality material at two different prices from two different vendors at a difference of more than 2-3% .
Means you can buy a 100/- worth product at 97/- max and 96/- least any thing less is either poor quality or discontinued or rejected design or damaged .
Shifting from material contract to labor contract is not saving (This is my personal opinion).Here you are investing your personal time like co coordinating with teams (carpenter/electrician/painter), arranging logistics and managing labor.

Savings in construction & interiors is a huge subject and you need to keep reading members experiences at every level and learn by your self.

Good luck

Regards
Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
www.ardesarchitects.com
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
rajesha07

Post by rajesha07 »

My carpenter finished wardrobe work yesterday. I am completely satisfied with his work. He is the only person did proper work on time. Rest all didnt finished the work on time.

He charged 150rs per sqft for wardrobes. Work wise he is too good. Any one can interested can call him.

His name is Habeeb
9902273511, 9738840297
chakra_krish

Post by chakra_krish »

HI
good to hear this at least there are some genuine guys, where was your project, can you post some photos to see the visual quality...
rajesha07

Post by rajesha07 »

Still polishing work has to be done.. sorry for the bad quality photos
Attachments
DSC_0404.jpg
DSC_0404.jpg (637.2 KiB) Viewed 8840 times
DSC_0401.jpg
DSC_0400.jpg
rajesha07

Post by rajesha07 »