Home interior work advice

arunmdas

Home interior work advice

Post by arunmdas »

Hi,
I am planning to do interior work for my apartment.
Planning do modular kitchen, wardrobes, crockery unit,pooja,utility etc. Planning for POP false ceiling also.
Quotation I got from interior designers are on the higher side. They are charging on an average 1200-1400 /sqft for the carpentry work.
I am planning to involve some good carpenter, get good quality material and pay only labour charges for the carpenter.
I believe if we make required boxed using a carpenter and get fully finished shutters ready made, cost wont go so high as against the quotation by interior designers.

Please let me know what will be reasonable labour charge for the carpentry work.
What will be the charges for POP work. What will be the brands/rates for plywood to be used and other fittings.
Please let me know if you have reference of a trustworthy carpenter in your experience.
I am new to this area and do not want to get trapped in this.

~Arun
kanukaushik

Re: Home interior work advice

Post by kanukaushik »

You can check at Kenwood near Meenakshi mall , bannergatta road once.
saisuraksha

Post by saisuraksha »

Carpentry price for Cot: 250/= and LCD TV unit and other stuff is 200/= per sq ft for a nice good quality job work.(Inside laminate +outside veeneer or laminate work)
POP can be done by Rs 65/= per sq ft (including material and labour cost)

Note : My advice for kitchen cuboards are no matter who so every the carpenter, you will not get the best finish as u see in ready made. If your budget permits only for Kitchen buy the readymade only rest all as u wise.

In Readymade ensure that he is using the best quality materials for Hings and Pullouts.
arunmdas

Post by arunmdas »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Is the carpentry cost mentioned above [250 / sqft ] is only for the labour.
I am planning for getting machine cut shutters for kitchen and doors for wardrobes.
Just planning for setting up the boxes using carpenter. This will give better finish as in ready made since the machine cut will come with better finish and edge binding.
Will it be a good idea?

I would like to know the choices available for making boxes.
Few people were suggesting to take water proof century ply or green ply for kitchen and commercial ply for wardrobes.
I heard that water proof pine wood will be fine for setting kitchen boxes and commercial pine wood for setting boxes for wardrobes. This will come for lesser price i guess.

Please guide me on these . I am not sure about the duration and cost of these. Please advice and share information on the cost/durability of available selections.

~Arun
kpb2308

Post by kpb2308 »

I got quotes for getting all wardrobes made by a factory (no carpenter). I have got quotes ranging from Rs. 950/sft (using local commercial ply with one sided laminate) to Rs. 1250 per sft (using Green Ply, commercial grade, not water proof, and both side laminate, with hettich/ebco fittings). I plan to go with the green ply if he comes down to around 1150 per sft.
arunmdas

Post by arunmdas »

I believe if we engage a carpenter to make carcass with quality ply wood and then take the doors/shutters for wardrobe/kitchen from factory [ mdf with membrane finish] , the cost will come down.
Any one is having idea about different options of ply to be used for kitchen and its rate.
I was thinking to use marine ply or similar quality for kitchen carcass. Not sure about the rate. Few people are suggesting to go with pine wood/indo ply which will be cheaper but good in quality.
Please let me know if you have idea about the choices and its cost involved.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi ,
You can get the carcass done with carpenter and shutters in factory.factory made shutters alone cost 800/- per Sft if I am not wrong.
Carpenter charges are ranging from 200/- to 250/- per Sft depending up on the workmanship and details you ask for.
Get all the details in carpentry cost ,otherwise they start adding this is extra and that is extra .mainly in kitchen fixing baskets,making small ledges or Pannels also charged @250/- per Sft but in actuals Pannels cost is much lesser than box rates.
One important thing with carpenters is that you find surprises when it comes to finishes because they do in their own stereo type design details which u may or may not like .designer is required if you are looking for exclusive designs or costomized solutions.
For sure you cannot replace designers and expect the same design detail out put from carpenters of any kind .
Make a clear material list and add 20% extra to arrive at your end price.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes architects and interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
arunmdas

Post by arunmdas »

Any advice on the material to be used for kitchen and wardrobe.
I have spoken to multiple people on this topic and there is no clear out come.
I am not sure which brand is good to be used in kitchen [ water proof ] and which one for wardrobe.
Need advice on the options on laminate to be used. [ outside laminates & inside laminates ]
I am not aware about the price details too. Can anyone help me out with these details so that I will get a better picture before starting the work.
maheshvivid2003

Post by maheshvivid2003 »

recently we had done wardrobes and kitchen

for kitchen we used 19mm marine plywood IS710 grade from aeon and price is 96rs persqft and IS303grade is also recommended
greenply. century starts from 108rs
inside lamites .8mm green touch 650 per sheet and outside glossy laminate 1mm for rs 1450
fitting hettich tandem max is rs 3200
ebco soft closing 0crank hinges rs 190 per set
labour price for boxtype cabinets rs250 below cabinet and above cabinets rs300 both side laminates
i was lil let down with the overal finish he has done lil mistakes which can be avoided but overall outcome is good and i designed it and he executed as per my design and mostly importantly for payments never demands he understands problems recently he has finished 5 wardrobes and 2 kitchen only outside laminates and i just paid 60 percent of the amount and for rest taken time

for wardrobes 19mm commercial ply or blockboard
alpine blockboard rs 58 per sqft plywood is rs 64 per sqft
ebco regular hinges rs50 to rs55 per set
arunmdas

Post by arunmdas »

Thanks for the information. Is the labour charge mentioned here is per sqfoot?
Any vendor suggestion for getting the ply and other fittings in better rate?

Return to “Interiors”