Home interior work advice

Simran

Re: Home interior work advice

Post by Simran »

Thanks Praveen and msn for your inputs,

Rs.55000/- is the cost of edge binding only, fixing the edge binding is included in the labour charges of Rs.230/sft. I have used rehau edgebanding tape which is the best as per my interior designer.

I have made a modular kitchen, 3 wardrobes, 2 large entertainment units, Pooja cabinet, 5 bathroom vanity boxes, shoe rack, under stair loft and 3 other lofts. Is your estimate of 6-10 excess boards after adding the wastage?

Payment part is fine, still some 25% is with me and all the work is finished. The owner of the interior design company is a known person, so both of us cant negotiate hard. But I have a feeling that I have supplied excess material.

After getting done with my interior work, I feel that full material contract would have been better. I incurred more cost in labour contract when compared with the full contract quotations I had got for the same work. It is not just the cost but you also need a lot of time in procuring the materials.
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Hi simran

6 mm thickness Ply & Block board count is acceptable. But the 16 mm ply count definitely not realistic. My estimate of excess material includes the wastage part
based on the optimum design techniques.

For edge banding, Rehau make tape cost for 2 mm thickness tape ranges from Rs. 22 to 30 based on the look & finish. (without seeing the design, can't say the number
or tape length required for the work). Generally for the outer edges good service providers they use 2.0 mm thickness tape. For innner sides 0.6 mm to 1.0 mm thickness
tape will be used. Including the freight, Service Tax(if they give valid tax invoice), 15% margin and overheads, price of 55,000/- must be double the realistic amount. As
I said earlier, the labor work charge includes the labor work of Edge banding activity also + Installation cost.

One reason for such things is, when you give full contract, Carpenter makes some margin while buying the raw material, as they regularly buy the raw materials from
their known source and definitely prices for them will be different. But when you give only the labor contract, they try to cover up those losses & also put extra
margin to gain as much as possible.

This is where many people who try to save money by putting their own effort, will end up in loosing more money unknowingly.
So Knowing the person(businessman) is different, doing home work is different.
sunildn

Post by sunildn »

Hi Simran,

just wanted to check that how much cost you incurred for the materials you supplied? Also, you had mentioned about Plywood/BB/Laminates. What about other hardware like hinges, locks, handle, tower bold, sliders etc.?
Simran

Post by Simran »

After taking the actual measurement it came to 705 sft. Material cost was Rs.725000. Hinges and channels are hettich soft close,slider is hettich topline 22 with soft close.locks are europa snd tower bolts are ebco
Simran

Post by Simran »

Thanks msn,
I negotiated 20k pointing out these factors.
I could manage at Rs.1275/sft with the below specs:

- Only branded ply (Greenply & Century)
- Branded laminate(Green,Century)
- Merino white laminate inside on all sides including back panel.
- Hettich softclose fittings
- 3 nos Kitchen baskets
- 6 hettich tandem boxes

I feel it was a good deal overall.Whats your opinion?
bloremanager

Post by bloremanager »

Greenply has several varieties of ply for kitchen and wardrobes like Green Club, Club plus (Emission free), Green Gold, marine grade. I went for Green Gold for Kitchen and Marine grade for wardrobes. Ask which sub-brand is your vendor promising. Different sub-brands have different pricing.
Century ply has sub-brands like architect ply, 710+ marine plywood, club prime.
My sq. ft rate came to 1200/sq.ft for Kitchen and 1100/sq.ft for sliding wardrobes inclusive of all fittings. I did not like white laminate as it is somewhat cheap looking, went with grey laminate for the insides
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Hi Simran

Just reconfirm the kitchen Basket Grade from your vendor.
insist only for SS-304 grade, In case you area is having hard water or salty water,
then go for SS-316. Rest of the materials listed are OK.

You could have bargained for Rs. 1,250/- also.
Simran

Post by Simran »

Baskets are SS 304. I have three rental portions where I put SS202.
Its green gold for kitchen (rs.107/sft) and century winstar mr (rs 84/sft)for wardrobes.
1275 is the cost I calculated for labour + materials or the total interior expense divided by 705 (sqft). It is not the quote by the vendor.
hegde19

Post by hegde19 »

Hi Simran,

Can you please share the details of the factory/person where you got your interiors done. I like your idea of getting materials and getting it done in factory. Also can you please confirm if the cost Rs.1275/- is including or excluding loft area? I have got quotes for wardrobes @1500, Kitchen @1800/- and loft @650/- Specs are
1. All hettich hinges/channels,
2. Plywood - Green/Centurey/Kit 18mm, MR for wardrobes, 710 grade BWP for kitchen
3. Laminates marino, greenlam or any other upto Rs.2000/-
4. 10 Hettich tandem with soft close, 1 bottle pullout, dustbin and soap rack
5. No restriction on number of partitions and drawers inside wardrobes.
6. 1 mirror for each wardrobe of any size.(saint gobaine)

Let me know your thoughts as you have already been through this.
Thanks,
Santosh
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

santosh

For your quote, Loft price is OK. Wardrobe should be around Rs. 1,300/sq.ft.

for Kitchen, I assume it includes the all basket prices, as few guys quote the basket price separately.
Meanwhile tandem items ranges from Rs. 1,500 to Rs. 5,000. Need specific details to narrow down the reasonable price.

Majority interior service providers doesn't come only for labor work. They always demand for Material + Labor work.

In case you are ready to supply material ownership and need only labor work, feel free to 'PM' me for contact details.

Return to “Interiors”