Paint or Polish please help

nagsbhat

Paint or Polish please help

Post by nagsbhat »

Hello,
I have sal frame and honne shutters for windows. I would like to do polishing (not paint) the inside frame so that I can give teak finish.

Contractor is not for it. He says that honne will leave mark if water falls on the shutter.

Please help.

Regards,
Nagendra
ardesarchitects

Re: Paint or Polish please help

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Nagendra
You cannot get a teak polish on sal or honne. Polish is related to type of wood you use. Honne & sal grains are not so great to polish and the wood leaves stains over a period of time.
If you are using sal or honne better option will be paining with NC putty for smooth finish rather than chalk putty.But the price will be high in case of NC putty.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
nagsbhat

Post by nagsbhat »

Thanks Praveen for your inputs.

I already have Sal and honne and want to give a polish/paint so that it looks like teak.

Cheers,
Nagendra
pribaaji

Post by pribaaji »

hello everybody,

I had a query on the type of primer and putty that would be done for wood.Would it be the same putty and primer irrespective of paint or polish to the wood or will it be different for each. Kindly share your knowledge on this.

Regards,
Priya Balaji.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Priya
The primer for wood would be different in case of enamel paint, for polish you don't need any primer its the french polish used directly on preparing wood by sanding and filling
Primer is like paint used on fresh wood or ply to save cost and good surface bonding.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
sunildn

Post by sunildn »

Hi All,

I am also used white saal for window frames and was planning to paint it. But, since I am using ghana teak for door frames which I am getting polished, few people suggested me to get polish done for window frames and now they are doing inside polish and out side paint. They have done the first level sanding, applied sealer and polish. Its coming nice. Have attached the snaps.

Regards,
Sunil
Attachments
window2.jpg
window2.jpg (249.17 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
window1.jpg
window1.jpg (268.55 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
windows.jpg
windows.jpg (232.64 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
pribaaji

Post by pribaaji »

thank you praveen and sunil for the inputs.actually i have honne door frames so was confused if i should polish/Paint.Guess will polish for the own use floor and paint for the rental ones..
sahu.mgse

Post by sahu.mgse »

Hi sunil;

Frame came out good after polish.
I have also used sal window frame. Did you use wood beeding around frame (on inside)? what type, size and how much you paid for the same.

regards
Sahu.mgse
sunildn wrote:Hi All,

I am also used white saal for window frames and was planning to paint it. But, since I am using ghana teak for door frames which I am getting polished, few people suggested me to get polish done for window frames and now they are doing inside polish and out side paint. They have done the first level sanding, applied sealer and polish. Its coming nice. Have attached the snaps.

Regards,
Sunil
sunildn

Post by sunildn »

Hi Sahu,

Yes, I have used wooden beeding around the window frames. The beeding size is 1 inch and its a standard design. I have attached the photo for your reference. This you will get it from the wood bought for window/door frame while cutting the grove(tattu in kannada).

Sunil
Attachments
Groove(tattu).jpg
Groove(tattu).jpg (205.06 KiB) Viewed 10024 times
Beeding design.jpg
sahu.mgse

Post by sahu.mgse »

thanks sunil.
sahu

Return to “Interiors”