Bathroom-Water Seepage

bhr2009

Bathroom-Water Seepage

Post by bhr2009 »

We have a bath room 7 years old.
We have been observing water seepage in the bedroom adjacent to this bathroom, above the skirting level. All along wall just above skirting
the paint has peeled off.
Our plumber who observed this says its from our bathroom itself. and he suggested acid wash and re-apply white cement
for the tile joints for the entire bathroom.
Meanwhile, we wanted to change the bathroom floor tiles as well.
I would like to have inputs for the following.

1. Considering the above observation, is it enough if we go for relaying the floor tiles and go for acid wash/white cement
treatment for the walls ? or do i need to consider more water proofing work.
2. With my limited knowledge on this,I am not sure how the seepage can happen above skirting level in bedroom when floor levels are almost same(difference is just 12mm).

I am looking for inputs so that if anything needs to be done can be done during tile relaying work itself.

Thank you
bhr2009

Re: Bathroom-Water Seepage

Post by bhr2009 »

Any inputs on this please ?

Thanks
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

Trust me White Cement is not for waterproofing neither acid wash.
Skirting will mask the visual effects of water seepage, bricks will wick the water all through and its obvious u will see the effects above the skirting level.
Since you have plans to replace the tiles, I suggest you remove the side wall tiles up to 1 or 2 ft if possible along with the floor tiles. Remove all the screed and when the slab gets exposed and sufficiently dri. Apply 2 coats of fosroc Brushbond RFX (elastomeric coating) ( Or Dr Fixit Epoxy 2k or use the Dr Fixit bathseal kit). Its suggested the side walls are also waterproofed the same way.
After you lay tiles, do not use white cement for Grouting or filling the gaps, use a epoxy grout.
You can find further instructions of Brushbond RFX and Dr Fixit Bathseal online.
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

Trust me White Cement is not for waterproofing neither acid wash.
Skirting will mask the visual effects of water seepage, bricks will wick the water all through and its obvious u will see the effects above the skirting level.
Since you have plans to replace the tiles, I suggest you remove the side wall tiles up to 1 or 2 ft if possible along with the floor tiles. Remove all the screed and when the slab gets exposed and sufficiently dri. Apply 2 coats of fosroc Brushbond RFX (elastomeric coating) ( Or Dr Fixit Epoxy 2k or use the Dr Fixit bathseal kit). Its suggested the side walls are also waterproofed the same way.
After you lay tiles, do not use white cement for Grouting or filling the gaps, use a epoxy grout.
You can find further instructions of Brushbond RFX and Dr Fixit Bathseal online.

Return to “Interiors”