doubt regarding Blockboard for interior

blackprince

doubt regarding Blockboard for interior

Post by blackprince »

Hi All,

i am trying to get interior done for my flat.
some of my friends had done it via a contractor, (guy who sends carpenters),hes basically owns a furniture shop
he had advised me (he had already done it at friends place) to use Blockboard for the entire woodwork mixture of BWR and MR
my doubt is

1) is Blockboard advised over Plywood, if not whats the disadvantage
2) is rate quoted 1100 per sqft is on higher side for Blockboard
3) what are the standard rates for plywood based woodwork for Kitchen/Boxes/Loft
bhr2009

Re: doubt regarding Blockboard for interior

Post by bhr2009 »

As far as I know,

1. 'Ply wood' is generic word and for boxes always Block board is used. FYI, block board is where rectangular blocks of wood cuts are kept and pressed.
Plywood is where 'sheets' of wood are pressed. Just observed block board and plywood from sides and you will understand this.
For interiors, block board is always preferred for boxes. and some may use plywood for only doors. Now a days even this is done with block boards.
Major problem with usage of plywoods ,especially for large doors, is possibility of bending.
2. I am not familiar with rates which are quoted with material. Recently we have done wood work which is done with labour rates and material supplied by us.
Regarding rates with material , some other members may be able to help you. But with this kind of agreement ,please ensure that finer details are discussed beforehand.
Like,
a. the kind of block board used. Water proof block boards vary from 55 to 150 Rs per sqft. Commercial boards from 35 to 120 Rs. Specially be careful about selection board for kitchen.
b. Which Lamination used ? both side lamination ? Laminations thickness ? costs vary based on brand.
c. Hinges Used , Go for slow soft close ones.
d. Kitchen baskets ? Brand used. Also locks.
d. What about the interior details of kitchens and ward robes? The person executing the work will be happy with minimum pull out drawers and less complexity.
blackprince

Re: doubt regarding Blockboard for interior

Post by blackprince »

Thanks for the detailed reply
1) this removes my concerns mostly, if any one has bad experience with block board , please share it .

a. the kind of block board used. Water proof block boards vary from 55 to 150 Rs per sqft. Commercial boards from 35 to 120 Rs. Specially be careful about selection board for kitchen.
Its BWR for wet areas , and commercial for wardrobes and over the counter portions, mine is a parallel kitchen and below the counter wet areas comes on both sides.
b. Which Lamination used ? both side lamination ? Laminations thickness ? costs vary based on brand.
Yet to discuss this, he had given me choices and may charge extra for texture laminates,
its agreed that he would use same laminate inside and outside(non texture ones ) not the white ones
c. Hinges Used , Go for slow soft close ones.
he said he normally uses some "spots" to reduce the bangs.
d. Kitchen baskets ? Brand used. Also locks.
he said blum, will confirm it
i am supposed to get one set basket (one tower) and a drip tray .

d. What about the interior details of kitchens and ward robes? The person executing the work will be happy with minimum pull out drawers and less complexity.
he said he would give one drawer in middle, seen after opening main door and one at bottom , seen from outside
he suggested this to reduce the length of wardrobe and ability to clean the floor after removing the wardrobe

Return to “Interiors”