Termite attack on door frame

jackalbda

Termite attack on door frame

Post by jackalbda »

Hello Experts,

I was away from home for a few weeks and when am back, I could see one of my door frame's ( white saal , opening to the external balcony) upper horizontal plank, , has almost completely being spoiled by termites !! only probably 20% is left over. Whats the best to fix this ? Is it possible to fix only that horizontal plank ? Since that is locked with other vertical ones internally, I am not sure if single piece alone can be replaced. Any other options ?
ardesarchitects

Re: Termite attack on door frame

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
As long as its panel door done in any wood you can change any single panel . Panel doors are made with multiple panels inserted in to each other.
Just make sure to inspect the other panels too when you open the door as the termites would have made homes in side other panels.

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardesarchitectsblr/
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

At the top door frame is insterted around 3 inch on each side in masanory. Whether you fix one portion of door frame or change whole frame you will need to take out the frame by breaking masonry so labour cost and time will be same. In fact labour could be more for fixing as you will need a carpenter + Mason.

My suggestion is that change whole frame to solid WPC frame. A 5 inch x 3 inch section solid profile WPC frame will cost you around 4500 Rs which is double of sal wood but it is termite free forever.

For 7x3 feet standard door you will need 17.5 running feet of door frame. WPC frame ranges from 120 to 260/- per running feet depending on size of section.

Also get the termite treatment of walls done before frame is fixed for protection of door panels.
jackalbda

Post by jackalbda »

Thanks Praveen and Visualizer.

Praveen,

I was talking about frame and not door , just in case I wasn't clear enough.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
I was talking about door shutter :) later i realized its frame . Even in case of frame you can change the top part of the frame but it needs mason involvment as they need to break open the whole frame. If the frame is not completely eaten out, you can use pest control first and then fill in the hallows with metal paste and paint the frame back.
If the damage is too much you need to change the frame. Most cases the whole frame would have been gone bad as the termites would be eating behind side of the frame.

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardesarchitectsblr/
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
sun

Post by sun »

Also to add, get a pest control guys who can do a termite treatment. If its independent house its done at ground floor. Let me know if u need some references. They charge on per sft basis for post construction treatment I guess.

Thank you
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

sun wrote:Also to add, get a pest control guys who can do a termite treatment. If its independent house its done at ground floor. Let me know if u need some references. They charge on per sft basis for post construction treatment I guess.

Thank you
Getting termite treatmet done from pest control guys for a house construction is not really a good idea IMHO.
The quotes I got were 7rs to 20rs per sq feet for a single round of spray so 16800 min for one round of spray.
However it does not work this way for under construction house first your foundation pits will be digged and you need to spray and then after doing soil back filling and laying PCC for flooring one more time. And after this one
spray would be required at ground level in setback areas and around boundary after completion of house.

Also pest control guys were unwilling to name the chemical they are going to use.
Most of these guys use Choloropyrifos which is banned in many countries as it affacts brain of small children.
Also Choloropyrifos is barrier based this means if there are any gaps in the spray termite will sneak in so quantity required is high and it pollutes ground water. Choloropyrifos based insecticides range from 300 to 600 Rs per liter
but need huge quantity.

Compared to this you can get Bayer Premise ( Imidacloprid 30.5% SC) for 3000 Rs per liter one liter is sufficent for 1000sq feet for all stages of construction. Dilution to be used is 2.1 ml per liter.
A manual pump costs few hundred rupees and any labourer can spray as and when earthwork /backfilling is done. So you can get the treatment done for under 10K for all stages of construction including labour cost.

Imidacloprid has very less side effects on humans and since there is no need to saturate soil to form barrier it does not pollute the ground water. There are multiple brands I purchased Hilmida ( 1195 Rs per liter) which is manufactured by a PSU

Please check the other thread for termite treatment for the

PS: Why I am posting this again in this thread because other chemicals commonly used in India have serious side
effects and awareness is required

Return to “Interiors”